FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Bering RP OOC Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiterating Allicat's question, what exactly are the extent of human energy manipulation? Is gravity manipulation akin to telekinesis? Can electric manipulation shoot out bolts of lightning or control machinery to an extent? Is the magnetic implant like Magneto powers?
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. This wasn't very clear in my posting. I'm gonna put more on this in my next update. Also: Space brought to me something interesting: Earth's governements. While my intention was to just kinda ignore them, it's doubtful that they would just roll over and die. I'm gonna add some info on this, also.

And, I'm gonna have some... well, serious updates to the Linaut and Sreekanse. Heck, I might even can them altogether as playable races. We'll see what happens.
Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apps can be under constuction with all the new updates and such?
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Very Happy

... I don't want them to change too much though. People (like myself) still need to know what other's are doing and plan their own characters accordingly.

Just as a little FYI, the sample bio I posted isn't going to be my actual character. Not by a long shot.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured, since you said they weren't playable characters.

Okay, then I want grav manipulation! I love TK. How good can I be with that? Can I have five different ingredients floating around my head and pouring themselves into measuring cups while I cut the meat, or is it limited to more gross movements? How long does it take to train, how young can I have received the implant, etc....

[edit] Found a spelling error. Shocked Oh, the horror. I apologize.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.

Last edited by Asa on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great questions, and all things I'm considering in my update.
Tomato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated! Ask any questions you may have.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want the gravity implant, and that only - I want good control over it.

Would you mind explaining power levels? What do you mean by 'more powerful' or 'less powerful'?

Can I have been one of the first to get one and thus have more practice time, or is that pushing it?

Can you only manipulate line-of-sight objects or does it work behind your back? How small can it be? How large can it be? Is there a trade-off between brute force and fine control? How knowledgeable about the object do you have to be to manipulate it, or once you see it you can do anything to it? Since it's with the mind, if I have a clear picture in my mind, does that count as line-of-sight?

I also have this image of a surgeon using the gravity implant to use more than one tool at once. Not for cutting, but for not wasting time, to pick up a scalpel with his mind and bring it close, ready for use. I have this idea of a course designed for medics with gravity manipulation, so that they know intimately the tools of their trade, and can do things beyond the normal level of proficiency, since they had a year of intensive study for it. Make sense? Possible at this stage of development?

For something like that, would there be an all-or-nothing rule in place? If you're not good enough to do everything, you can't have it at all; it's too dangerous. I mean, for medics.

Also, what's the downside to implants? Since it wears at the cells, is there a lower life expectancy?

Sorry for the bombardment.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Asa, many good questions, all in cool, refreshing deluge of queries.

There are a few answers here that could be inferred by my most recent post, a few that I hadn't thought of, and a few that I left intentionally ambiguous.

Your character can have a gravity implant - her history and particular skill with it is up to you.

What qualifies as skill? Well, that's just the thing: This is a non-sensical and impossible technology. It's really quite impossible to describe a sensation or a skill that can't exist in reality. So, we're ad-libbing a bit.

My intention was to make this vague. Think of it like a form of self defense. There are many schools of thought, many disciplines all with different skillsets and values. More devoted students in those particular disciplines are capable of greater and greater feats. A master in certain schools combat can sense and defeat his foes, even if he can't see them directly. Now, I'm not trying to say the most powerful users are going to be robe-bound shamans who have sat on a mountain peak for decades as they attempt to decipher their body's abilities. Rather, these are people who have found this new technology suits them well and have, with practice, learned to use an extensive number of abilities with their practice. Along as it is carefully maintained as a form of self-extension, then I want it to be possible.

You gave a few examples, and there are some that I want to be possible, and some that I don't.

I do not want any gravity warping (or any implant power) to last long enough to "hold" anything in space for an extended period of time. Remember: these are energy fields generated and powered by your mind. You don't come with replaceable batteries: You have limited power. As a result, every moment you're holding something in space is going to have a physical draining effect on you. Think of it this wasy: In the same way completing a strenuous examination is tiring over long periods - so will this will be over short periods. To this end, a medical assistant would be more helpful to a gravity using doctor than the implant itself would. Would a doctor seriously want to impose on herself the mental strain of keeping an object in space while performing a complex invasive operation? I imagine not. That isn't to say in a pinch she couldn't use gravity to do such a thing, but that it isn't intended or desired to be a regular practice.

There will not be an all or nothing rule, implant users do not pass a bar exam- they have an operation. Many implant users would likely view themselves as more powerful than others for whatever ridiculous reasons. I can easily see something of an Icarus situation here: trying to do too much at once and breaking. That said, I can't imagine the use of gravity implants during an operation as being accepted by any rational medical group. It would most likely even be banned. I think I will leave that as a "topic of discussion" however, as this technology is still new and rare.

For your purposes, I don't see a particular problem with the character you've got in mind so far.

Downsides to implants: Few. Linaut are exceptionally good at the crafting of their technology. A couple of points of note though: they are physically and mentally draining. A common symptom of implant abuse would include extreme dehydration, low levels of electrolytes and trace minerals, and high levels of a mild version of cartolic acid. The idea is that these implants cause your brain's cells to generate an electrical output. The reaction required for this output consumes water and trace minerals from the body. As a by-product, the reaction also creates cartolic acid. Cartolic acid is normally disseminated and dealt with by the body under normal use. However, under periods of prolonged or extreme use, it can build up in the body, which can have an adverse affect, slowly degenerating the quality of the circulatory and nervous system. Untreated, extreme levels of cartolic acid in the blood stream will lead to death. This is rare, however, as the user's subconscious usually shuts the mind off before they can build to this point. Typically the worst general affect that a user can experience from being drained would be very akin to a bad hangover, physically and emotionally. Interestingly, they could also be cured the same ways: Lots of water, electrolyte-infused liquids (Gatorade and Pedialyte are good modern examples), and vitamins all would work. Long term side-effects of implants are not really an issue: Linaut doctors have assured the public that there are none, and no one has reason to believe otherwise from experimentation or practical use.
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. "Ugh. I stayed up all night tossing things around the galley with my mind, and now I feel like HELL..."

Trickier though it is, dactylic hex of the epic-ish style:
"Alt" he is called and his reign is the fierce and the making of pretties.
Feaelen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i've had no answer via the note i'll ask it here....

Is it possible to be a Sreekaanse in the RPG?
That character type description was enough to make me want to join 2 rpgs at once, i think it would make a fun character to play. Especially well suited to Head Engineer. But i'd like to know if you plan on allowing it before i go trying to write the bio.

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I replied Surprised

For now, I put a hold on the alien races because no one seemed interested. That said: I actually like my race descriptions, and I don't think I'd be willing to change them.

In short:

If you want to, go ahead! Very Happy
Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomato wrote:
For now, I put a hold on the alien races because no one seemed interested.
Well, you pretty much banned the Linaut and Sreekaanse, and who wants to be a bureaucrat?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda hard to really call an entire people 'bureaucratic'. I'm writing these biographies of the species from the perspective of humans for the sake of filling your supple minds with preconceptions... but what about the people who live as them? Surely, they would view humans as domineering, disrespectful of authority, and overambitious.

I'm not afraid to tell you that I'm a manipulative jerk, and that I'm making these 'racial stereotypes' with the intent of eventually smashing them.
Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best kind of jerk to be. Very Happy

A minor question: we've been considering giving Beldon an artificial appendage (most probably foot, but possibly hand), for no good reason. What would it be powered by? The technology seems fairly... diverse so far, hence the need to ask.

Edit: Profile is still under construction and unposted, if that wasn't clear...

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32

Jump to: