FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Bering RP OOC Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I apparently had a different idea for the shape and placement of people. I thought Leah'd be hiding between a crate and the wall, and closer to the actual doorway. Also, that it would be more normal-sized. Gibbs would end up right in front of her without realizing. Something like that?

This confirms the depths of my ignorance concerning scifi...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it has anything to do with your ignorance, and more to do with different perspectives in regards to movement. I'm not going to have the same exact idea as to anyone's position as they did, so I would use it more as a rough guide than anything else. The bridge should be MUCH more exact, as I have the ability to place all the characters pre-entrance.

Coincidentally, making diagrams for battle scenes after the battle is over is usually a lose-lose prospect because of the difference in ideas. Anyhow, rough guide and not road atlas... hope it helps, though. That's (as I see it) general positions.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
sunshine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usa, I am thoroughly amused by just how much the pirate ship's bridge looks like the Enterprise... Razz

Also, I promise I will post by the end of the day today

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still no one's answered my question! Does anyone have any hints for how I should maneuver to get to Mitch? How's he going to catch my attention, stuff like that? Should I be carrying an obvious medical bag, or will my more civilian clothing give it away? It sounds like the NPC medic you created was wearing a lab coat, Usa. Should I be? It doesn't sound very period-correct, to me.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only source image I could find that seemed like a "good" source image for 1930's medical personnel was link. Whether or not that's actually white, I dunno. Black and White is sort of a tricky medium. Razz

Of course, now that I look at it, it occurs to me that she's a nurse and not a doctor. Bah.

As for how Leah is dressed: however she wants to be. We'll just play that Berkham likes dressing in white, I'll come up with some backstory about how it reminds her of some event when she was just a nurse, or something.

As for finding Mitch, given that she's not dressed in a similar style of outfit (almost like a uniform) as the pirates, she'll be easy to pick out from them. That's from Mitch's angle, but keep in mind that she doesn't really know that there are survivors, other than the code that the Bering was getting before they landed.

My suggestion there, would be to either follow the soldiers or trek off on her own to attempt to find survivors. She would be choosing between self preservation (staying with the soldiers, who have already routed the pirates once) or her instinct to help others.

No one's to say that Leah isn't a decent shot with a pistol, even though she's a doctor. In fact, you may want to take a page out of the medic from Firefly's book.

In response to "Doesn't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
Book says: "Yes, it's quite specific, but it's a little fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

@Sunny: Once a Trekkie, always a Trekkie. Sue me. Razz It may bear no resemblance to the Bering's bridge, in fact I'm planning on it not (well, not the middle section anyhow). The Tacoma was set up for a different task, and as such has a different configuration in several areas. Uh huh. That's my excuse.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton

Last edited by Tenshi on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Should I talk to BS about how she and Mitch get in contact?

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier to work out a plan that way, sure. You two can discuss how your characters would interact and work out a solid plan. One of the tricks I've learned is to have a plan of action, but at the same time be able to change it at a moment's notice if need be. "By the seat of your pants" as it were.

Red Skelton
sunshine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa - I did offer to help you out with figuring out what your character should do, however you declined.

Tenshi - I would tease you for your trekkie status, if not for the simple fact that the Enterprise's setup is, quite simply, a very practical and efficient one for the sort of stuff that happens in a bridge.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me to do a diagram of that alternate RPG sometime, the bridge for that is also practical yet wildly different. Far more Firefly-like.

Back to the matter at hand, I'll make up diagrams for the rest of the ship at some point when I'm feeling inspired. Inspiration comes in spurts, so it's hard to say when exactly that'll be. I'm also relatively undecided on how exactly I want the layout to be, finally. I'm not sure the original diagram leaves much for entering the cargo hold...

To be honest, I was thinking of adding an elevator to the main area near the airlocks, hence the circular pattern on the floor. This elevator would lower into mid-hallway second floor (or "living deck", where all the quaters and kitchen and medical bay and such are) and then on to the third floor. This elevator would actually be a gravity pad, manipulated by either an on-board gravity generating system, or any users with a grav implant. There would be amplifiers suited for this purpose, allowing grav users to do this with ease.

...but that's totally just my brainstorming, so I'll hammer that out and finalize it fairly soon. I haven't given a lot of planning to Bering's interior, as I didn't really fully design it, myself. I'm also contemplating re-arranging a bit so we have more room onboard, although I think we've lost Rolaoi.

Anyhow. On to dinner, and then kicking around the 'nets for a while.

Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you did, Sunny, so you did. And now I'm embarrassed and hesitant to ask for help again, because I don't know where to start and I don't like being ignorant, which is contradictory, I know, but there you are.

I think I'm going to indulge my tendency to avoid conflict for a bit longer while I settle into classes, and PM you in a bit. 'Kay?

sunshine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh believe me Asa, I know exactly how that contradiction feels. It's frustrating as all get-out, and unfortunately leaves one feeling very, very sheepish when one realizes the easiest way out of it is to just ask.

I'll be at work for a good chunk of today, but I should be able to reply to PMs now and again. And I'll definitely be around later tonight Smile

My deviantART page

Asa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, by 'a bit' I meant 'a week or so', possibly longer. I'm not sure I'll even send BS a PM, I may just let her die.

Feaelen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dissappearo, Christmas if family time in my house so i thought we were on a little holiday break. And really nothing says christmas like a trip to the ER for emergency surgery, luckily the family friend will be fine, but it was sketch for a while.
Will read the entries and post tomorrow evening for sure Very Happy

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Asa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't miss much, especially since you acted early - the rest of us are still trying to catch up.

theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Feael: Mitch would've liked to see.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: