FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Who wants to help me think up a solution for a story plot

fuzzybum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Who wants to help me think up a solution for a story plot Reply with quote

So far I have Maryi and Katany (characters of mine) who had once been lovers but had drifted apart because Maryi had become a selfish jerk, but is now desperately trying to change his ways. I eventually want the two back together but I don't know how to do that. Oh and by the way, these two are not ordinary humans or anything, it wouldnt be much fun if they were, they are a sort of Angelic race, Maryi's power revolves around knowledge gathering, and he got all high and mighty because he thaught he knew everything. Kats power has to do with creating life.

Any ideas?

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're asking about a story you're writing, I'm going to move this to the brand spankin' new writing section of this shiny new forum. Give all the sections a read through - the Lady's organized this thing quite nicely!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound mean or anything, but maybe you should just give it more time. Some things just have a way of resolving themselves. =)
fuzzybum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, ok. I'm tired of the story anyway....if its sits on my shelf for a years or so i might come up with something later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that works for me is to observe people in real life. Here's a scenario that may help.

Man: [walks up to Woman. Tries to reach out and touch her hand but she moves away.] I... I want to talk with you.
Woman: [Sneers.] Someone so self-righteous as yourself, descending to speak with we mortals? Unheard of!
Man: That's what I wanted to talk about, though!
Woman: You, yourself, and you. I've had enough. [Turns away.]
Man: Woman, I've been trying to change. And... I, well, I need help. I realize that I've been on a high horse lately, [Woman snorts] but I'm trying to change. [Takes both her hands in his.] I need you to help me become a better man.

And, aww, they kiss.

Not really. That's almost never how it happens. Tinu's right, though; I've gone weeks without writing on my novel, and then suddently, Idea something comes up and I'm writing like a fiend. Sometimes, you just have to take your time. Another tip is to visit your local high school (if possible) and watch the dynamics of some kids there. Or just simply watch Mean Girls. You get my drift. Read a romance novel, yeah. Books tend to write themselves if you give them a little room to breathe and live.

Miho's Young Padawan

Dubbed "Poodle" by Asa and "Teh Stormy Poodle" by Ponce
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd go one of two ways. Either she's already forgiven him, in which case he returns from his quest and they fly into each other's arms and all live happily ever after. (A sort of, 'You had me at "Hello"' moment)

Or, she HASN'T forgiven him, in which case there must be some crisis (possibly brought about by his absence), and while they're out solving this, he proves to her that he has actually changed, and they all live happily ever after. Unless you wanted to do the tragic thing, where he proves that he has become selfless, but dies in the process, leaving her alone to mourn her lost love.

But honestly, Poodle's suggestion is the best. Normally, if you wait and just get out a bit, your muse will eventually smack you upside the head with some inspiration and you'll be going like a crazy again.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, just give it time...forcing plot just makes it feel forced...which makes it taste bad. Squee's been sitting on multiple stories for years now, and they just keep getting better (if not finished).
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll, you have ,in my view, two options, both of which work for me.

ONE; keep writing the story, being as descriptive as possible, writing bit by bit. Watch the story unfold before you, and if it turns out the way you want, Allelujia! (huh... this is sort of how i play chess) But if not, ah well, you wrote a glorious novel that'll probably impress anyone that reads it!

TWO;Wait. Patience is a virtue, and writing is an art which requires time. Bits of your story will come to you, and when they do, write them down. (this is how I've been writing my novel (since 2004 *wince*) and I like it so far)

generally, i say go with option two- don't rush into things,( it DOES, as Squee said- sometimes end up reading as if it were rushed)
'I want you, bleeders......'
Storm

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I come up with ideas at two in thw morning. In order to remember them properly, I have to boot up my computer and type it in, otherwise I'll be swearing at myself in my head for not writing legibly. You'll dream someting about your characters, and make sure you write it down before you forget it.

The most awkward dream I've had like that is when I was living in the role of one very masculine character (I. Am. A. Girl.) who ends up falling in love and getting married, and, well... Let's say that I woke up with the insides of my stomach on my pillow.

Miho's Young Padawan

Cypher

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and that's why I'm thankful I don't remember my dreams.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Storm

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, shush. Sometimes it's very entertaining, watching people grow red in the face as they laugh so hard they can't breathe. Not at that particular dream, of course.

I've been told I should be a comedian...

So, about the story, I know I've said this once, but it can't be said too many times. Just let it go for a while, and then you'll be typing into it (or writing into it) that your hands cramp up and you can't hold a pen properly. It's happened to me so many times that I've memorized a keyboard and can type grammatically and spelling-wise correct in the dark.

Miho's Young Padawan

Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do agree with letting the story sit and frement. Although, brainsorming with one or more people is another great way to flesh out a story and fill in those pesky plot-holes. I know I have few suggestions, but my brain is dead at the moment...

*headdesk*
Storm

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ferment.

I'm sorry, but after having been forcefed literature written by elementary school kids, I can't help but have proper grammar and spelling.

Miho's Young Padawan

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: