FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bering RPG Chapter 1.5: Maiden Voyage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's
Author Message
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(My apologies, an unexpected (by me) snowstorm knocked out the satellite dish late last night. Just now getting the internet back up. Who wants a small novel? Very Happy There's a section for each character.)

~*~ Hallway ~*~

Gibbs would be the first to reach the corner, round it, and chase after their retreating foes. Their speed was hampered by debris (otherwise known as "junk") lining the corridor here as well. With military precision, Gibbs managed to pound a few more slugs into them as they retreated. Most of his shots ricocheted away and into the walls, but a few of them found purchase in the damaged armor. A very few, even, punctured the outer shell with a sickening crunch, echoed only by the sharp inhalation of breath from the larger of the two targets. As the larger fell the smaller of the two grabbed the first by their shoulders, and drug them through the few feet to the bridge.

The door twisted, large metal halves gliding closed quickly. Locking mechanisms clicked into place, and a red light appeared above the door. In the aftermath, silence sunk into the hallway quickly. Echoes of gunfire still rang in their heads, leaving the scene an eerie sight with only the red light penetrating the darkness. Long shadows cast darkness past the overturned crates and barrels in the hallway, weaving between strips of dark crimson.

Raude slid behind one of the nearby crates, putting his back up to it. With a practiced motion he thumbed the clip release, and pocketed the empty metal shell. While he fumbled for his next clip out of a myriad of pockets, he cast an adrenaline-filled grin toward Gibbs.

"Nice shooting. I doubt they believed our forty-fives would puncture their armor. The old adage rings true.." he paused, quickly palming another clip into the handle of his weapon. Gripping the slide between thumb and forefinger, he drew it back hard and fast. Another round entered the chamber, and he toggled the safety to 'on'. "Learn something new every day."

~*~ Hallway (also) ~*~

Opposite the two men, Leah was crouched along one wall of the loading area. The strain of her implant being used more as a crude bludgeoning tool than a fine knife threatened her with a headache. Luckily enough, with the Tacoma's energy completely out she found none of the negative effects of artificial gravity. Since they weren't floating, it must have been a much smoother system from the pirate vessel.

The corner loomed ahead of her, exposing a hallway to her left. In the relative darkness, she could barely make out the furthest wall. Red and yellow lights continued to expose only modest outlines of objects. Her system of using an object's mass to "see" was working well, if being a bit taxing.

Ahead, around the bend, she would be able to "see" two more people crouched at the foot of the stairs. Something was different about their mass, these two were quite obviously not as heavy or solid as the pirates had been. Even the smallest of the pirates felt as if made of steel to her, their armor all but reflecting her implant's focus back at her. These two, crouched at the base of the stairs like frightened children, felt much more human to her extended touch.

More importantly, they were breathing. Thieli had left them breathing, as she passed. Were Leah creeping toward the corner at all, she would have come across the two that Thieli had not left breathing. A limp arm stretched out around the corner, it's owner resting with his back against the wall on the other side. No amount of armor against ballistics had saved him from the Sreekaanse' wicked blade.

~*~ More Hallway ~*~

Silence began to settle back into the darkness that came over the top of the stairs. Distantly, Mitch could hear the sound of a very human .45 being reloaded. There was some talking, but it was low enough and far enough away that he couldn't make out exactly what the man was saying. The hallway behind him and into medical was fairly well lit, compared to the almost inky scene above him.

"Mitch, what's going on?" came a female voice from behind him. Doctor Berkham moved quickly up to him, crouching next to him. She placed a hand on his shoulder, and even through what he was wearing it felt like ice.

Berkham herself looked like she'd had about enough. Her hair was a rat's nest of tangles and snarls, her eyes a sunken shadow of past shine. Even her skin looked almost translucent, sickly. It might have occurred to Mitch that he probably didn't look much better.

"I loaded everybody into the escape raft. I set it so that unless one of us goes back for it, it'll launch and head right for Dangus." Her voice said, wavering. There was an easy to detect fear there. "I... I thought you could use the help," she added sheepishly.

~*~ The Bridge ~*~

Lourenne, the poor girl, was shaking like a leaf. First being thrown to Dakota, and now with guns going off, she looked like she was barely holding back the flood of tears that so obviously wanted to come. As Dakota brought her into the conspiracy, the girl let out only the slightest of whimpers and nodded.

To her credit, Lourenne was gifted even under pressure. Her hands stopped shaking as soon as they touched the keyboard, and deft movements quickly had the screen filling with data. Dakota would have been pressed to keep up, as the girl assembled files from all across the ship's systems. Weapons data, hull schematics, floor plans, cargo lists that spanned ten months or more.

Behind them, the shuffling of armored footsteps were the only thing going on. Heavily armored pirates, many of them wielding large fully automatic weapons, took up positions in what little cover the command area offered. The Linuat, seemingly unperturbed by the idea of being assaulted, kept his handgun trained on the mouse-like Lourenne's stomach. His eyes didn't blink, barely even focused on her.

"I hope for your sake that you do not take any rebellious advice from your friend, miss Rosenfeld. I would hope to not have to make an example out of either of you, until I have what I want," the almost sultry voice of the Linuat called. It was sickening, in the sense that something so obviously evil could have made such a pleasing sound.

~*~ Engineering ~*~

Thieli's blade flashed in the starlight, shining silvers and blues as it cleaved the air. Already, her opponent had moved himself from the blade's path. She could sense him more than she could see him, as the visual spectrum of light was scarce here. It was his body, his breath, that she could all but taste. As she returned from her strike, her predator's senses were alive with everything in the room.

Darkness closed her eyes for her, but the distant scent of his temperature gave her a direction to head. Pale oranges and muted reds outlined the spaces either of them touched, giving an odd sort of wireframe look to everything. At the far wall she could sense him moving, gliding along the floor as silently and effortlessly as the air he was warming around him.

"Leen ess-ay?" the words disrupted her focus, causing her tracking senses to give pause. "The humans call me 'shadow spirit,' you know. I find the name... fitting."

Now he chose to mimic her earlier strike, punctuating his last word with a swift lunge for her midsection. In close proximity, the dim light gave away his chosen weapons. Lacking the Sreekaanse ceremonial blade, her opponent had fashioned two wrist-mounted blades. They swung above and below each hand, wrapping his arm to the first joint in an armor plating. In his strike he thrust his lower arm forward in an attempt to gut her, while his upper arm rose in a shielding motion.

"Need ah-nah, nehth bare-ehth. Ah-glar far-oth, ah-glar ee-ah!"
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
sunshine



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 592
Location: Up in the Clouds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Sir could even muster up the strength to lean into Lourenne's mind at all at this point was seriously frustrating. Dakota vehemently wished he'd just... fry a circuit, or burst a blood vessel, or whatever the term would be for blowing out some vital piece of his drug-enhanced brain and render himself catatonic, if not dead outright.

As it was all she could do now was hold her breath, and plead silently with Lourenne to be strong enough to push off Sir's influence. They couldn't let him get away, and they especially couldn't let him get away with whatever he was after in the first place. Dakota squeezed the girl's shoulders again, then did the only thing she could do... wait.
_________________
I do commissions!
Interested? Let me know! :D

My deviantART page

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Posted with Tenshi's permission. He figured it'd be easier to do it this way rather then a 1/2 doz back and forth posts. Part of Thieli's opponent is straight from Tenshi))

Thieli doesn't even bother to reply to her opponent as she fluidly flicks her sword into a broader blade to block his attack and jumps up and over her opponent letting her tail loop around a pipe on the ceiling.

At first the Sreekaanse tried to reach up with his guarding arm, but didn't manage to do anything more than open up his back for a long strike from her ritual hunting blade. The scent of blood, and the pheromones of agony filled the space they were in. Her opponent staggered once, then tucked himself into a roll to get some distance from her. After a few tumbles away, he pushed his legs out to spin himself in mid air. He landed facing her, his arms at his sides and slightly raised in defense. "Lay hoo!"

After the strike Thieli braced her feet against the pipes above her, both holding on and readying for her next strike. Thieli smiles at her opponent's response and flicks her long tongue out to taste the blood that glistens on her blade, “Lyre vahn-wah eem gan ah-dahn ess-ay naar. Narn kohn-dear tand toor lahnk.”

He snorted, flicking his tail at the insult. Gradually he brought his torso upright again, uncurling his body to bring in a few deep breaths. Moving slowly, he brought one foot forward before the other followed quickly. He ran at her, leaping as he neared her place on the ceiling. Both arms extended forward, timed with his jump to skewer her if she didn't move out of the way in time. "Sayn ah-mar behn lay!"

Thieli grinned wide as he charged her, she waited for him to jump and then thrust herself from the ceiling, rolling to fall feet first. Just before her feet touch the floor she grabs his foot that's passing above her and uses the force of her landing to propel him against the nearest wall, as she pushes him away from her she pulls her now shortened blade across the back of his legs

His arms outstretched, he was already in a weak position when she moved downward. Cursing himself for not expecting that move, he was surprised when he felt her strong hand clasp around his ankle...and pull. Flailing his free limbs and tail wildly, he felt his taloned foot catch flesh randomly. The next thing he knew he was bleeding from the backs of his legs, and he had been thrown into the wall with enough force to leave a Sreekaanse-shaped indentation. And blood, lots of it. Enough that he was actually beginning to feel just a bit lightheaded. "Ugh... lay would not be so quick to keer-ith neen off... if you knew what was coming," the Sree said, slipping back and forth between their shared native tongue and the human language.

Thieli muttered to herself as she felt his foot talons catch her shoulder, it was an acceptable injury. Thieli smiles and begins to slowly stalk towards her prey, as she moves she flicks her blade into a wicked looking blade with a serrated, almost jagged edge, the weapon designed to do the most damage of the blades built into the strange weapon. She keeps her pace slow to allow her to judge her prey's next move. Theili snorts, “Ah-dahn ahm-bar dahd leen lahm-bay, air-een neen ile leen gurth.” Her stalking movements illustrate to her opponent that the blood he drew from her has only led to a sharpening of her senses.

Drawing steady breaths, though forced, her opponent was playing a waiting game as well. His fingers curled around the narrow sliver of metal that formed a grip, of sorts. He even similed that predator's smile when she moved slowly. "Air-enn lay? Eem gerth lay!" He shouted, raising both arms and toggling the release. The blades that stretched into the wrist mounts were suddenly let loose, and tightly coiled springs pushed them forward and out. One was headed for her head, and the other her heart.

Thieli reacts as the blades fly at her, continuing her sideways movement and dropping into a roll hissing as one blade catches her across her shoulder. Thieli follows through on the roll back into the standing position and continues to stalk unperturbed towards her prey, "Ore-nah ghol lay'n sarn, nar?"

Grinning, her 'prey' showed every one of his razor-sharp teeth. He began flicking his tongue out a few times as he slid out of the indentation he'd made. She had him backed against a wall, and moving now was out of the question. In truth, all he had were two slightly armored bands and his wits. But somehow, that was alright. At least this was a decent death, better than they had provided him at exile...
"Lay want to know a secret?"

Thieli moved slowly closer to the sree watching his every move, gaging for counter attack, she flicks her blade again shifting it's form to a straighter double edged blade that was faster to the kill. It wasn't a mercy he deserved given his crimes but he had fought rather then run, so she would leave him with that strange mercy to ponder, "Lay ee-ahnt Thieli feae Kinyongia Karroicum leen fahlf ahst Matron Marsabitensis feae Brookesia Karroicum ee-ahnt gurth. Ahn-non lahm-bay?”

His grin vanished, replaced by a certainty in his eyes. Hesitation vanished as well, and for a brief moment he seemed to summon a sort of primal strength and competence from somewhere within him. He lept at
her, this time with his claws outstretched with their sharp talons. The opening in his attack was vast, and it was easy. Almost as if he meant for her to have to raise her blade into him.

Thieli nods as she drops to one knee and thrusts her blade up and into her opponents heart, and she reaches through his guard to catch his attack and use his momentum to drive him onto her blade.

Coughing once, his momentum stopped almost instantly. With her blade holding his weight, he felt all of the pressure in one location: his heart. Fire ripped through his body, igniting his veins. He began to smile, as he tasted his own life flowing out of him.
"Sare-egg lohth heen-ee kehl-ehb die ell-en. Neen sare-egg, leen
sare-egg. Ah-nore behn ah-ray... fay-ah...dur. Dur. Dur, foo-in dur."

Thieli nodded with his last words, commiting them to memory as she lowered his body to the floor. She quickly slides the blade from his body and pulls a curious looking almost metalic cloth from one of her pockets. As she wipes the blood from the blade she whispers a few words to herself, before re folding the “cloth” and placing it carefully in a small bag and then back in her pocket. Thieli snaps the blade back into it's “resting” shape and attaches it back to her belt as she turns from the body and heads towards the other surprise the engine room has to offer.


((Sorry for the broken formatting i'll fix it later and translations will come later tonight too Wink))
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
theBSDude



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 1800
Location: The boring part of Washington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch shook his head, trying to clear the fog of sleeplessness. “You shoulda stayed with'em, Lindsay. I... ~feces,~ there're humans here, the cavalry. Best thing too do-- just... wait for 'em.”

He muttered a few curses. “I... think the stims're worn off....”

Even though his stupor, Mitch felt the probing touch of a grav-implant. Fresh. Had to be one of the new boarders; no way the pirates had kept back someone this skilled.

He shrugged off the Thompson's strap and slipped it over Berkham's head. He pressed the the gun into her palm. “There's somebody right around the corner. They're a friend, but... just in case. I'm... gonna sleep, I guess.”

He sled down the curved wall, unable to stay awake any longer.
_________________
...In accordance with the prophesy.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
thespaceinvader



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 650
Location: Cardiff, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs changed clips for a fresh one also. Best to reload during a free moment than run out in the middle of a firefight.

"Well, we need to get in there, then. Is everyone loaded and ready?"

He knew full well they would have jammed the doors somehow. He looked for a control panel he could force them with - all doors on a ship had a manual release somewhere on each side to avoid trapping people.
_________________
Keeper of Tristram's rings, and Felucca's very expressive ears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~*~ The Upper Hallway ~*~

Gibbs and Damien, still behind cover, held position while they reloaded and re-armed themselves. From behind them, Eisner shuffled around the corner and up to an overturned steel shipping crate. The crate's lid had been removed, exposing a now-empty cavity filled with straw and hay. Eisner, nursing a freshly bandaged shoulder and upper arm, tucked himself into the crate enough to stay well out of the way of incoming gunfire.

"Sir," Damien began.

Eisner waved either or both of their comments off with his good hand, releasing the grip of the Thompson to do so. His weapon hung from it's strap around his neck, rocking back and forth. With his good hand, he gripped the edge of the crate, and he began scooting it down the length of the hallway. His goal was obvious: the manual override panels on either side of the door that Gibbs had spotted before.

"I can get the door open, and then cover you boys. They don't have armor piercing rounds, do they?" Eisner asked with a boyish grin as his hand rest on the manual override lever. A few good pumps was all it would take...

"Alright, now show them why messing with us humans is a bad idea!" He bellowed as inspiration, tearing the handle down. The effort was visibly difficult, but Eisner knew it had to be done. Grunting, he pushed the handle back up. As he brought the lever down again, the steel door rose a quarter of the way.

Gunfire erupted from the opposite side of the door, smacking into the deck plates to try and take out the legs of whoever was opening the door. A deafening clatter of lead slugs on steel cargo crate rang out, and Eisner gave another good pull; then another. When the door was three quarters of the way up, Eisner ducked back into his crate and grabbed his Thompson. With a nod to his boys a few feet away, he swung the weapon out of the crate with his good arm and started trying to pick off a few of their attackers.

The door exposed two suited pirates with weapons, wh/ had no cover with which to protect themselves. Both dropped to a knee and began firing at any targets of opportunity they could find. Behind them, a third pirate in uniform took aim over the shoulders of his comrades. Distantly, almost not visible from their position, the Bering crew would make out four unarmored targets.

There were three humans, two who looked absolutely terrified and one who looked defiant, if a bit powerless to do anything. The fourth unarmored target was unnaturally tall, and despite their "seven foot stick figure" appearance, looked very capable of themselves. A massive pistol was gripped firmly in the tall man's palm, aimed at the timid female human.

Hostages. And all of the unarmored targets were almost directly behind the armored ones.

"Make your shots count!" Damien called out above the gunfire. He leaned around the side of his own cover, taking aim down the sights with both hands. Gunfire slammed into his cover, sending a spray of hot steel shards brightly past his face. He returned the favor, tapping out a quick series of shots. Their impact was inaudible over the automatic weapons fire.

~*~ The Lower Hallway ~*~

Mitch collapsed down the side of the wall nearly as soon as he hung his weapon over Berkham's neck. She dove after him, desperately trying to keep him from injuring himself during the fall. It would be a lie to say she wanted to let him rest, but by this point she simply had no options.

"Mitch? Mitch?! Mister Larsen!" she said, shaking him by the shoulders. All this commotion attracted another figure from the stairwell to join them. Leah Gregory made a small noise to attract attention to herself, and try not to scare the disheveled woman to death. It...almost worked.

Berkham spun, leaving Mitch on the floor for a moment as she fumbled for the weapon on her neck. The quick motion, coupled with the heavy weapon, nearly sent Berkham down next to Mitch. Still fumbling with the Thompson, she looked at what she was sure would be her death with frightened eyes.

"I'm here to help," Leah offered quickly, showing her empty hands.
"Oh, thank the lord. I... I didn't think we would... would..."

Berkham's composure, which was very close to shattering before losing the only protection she had known for three days, suffered another huge blow. Sobs racked her body, silently shaking her entire body. The woman reached out to support herself with the nearest wall, and then promptly slid to her knees.

"I thought we were going to die. Are you really here to save us?" She asked, almost pleadingly.
"Yes, you're safe now," Leah replied. She moved cautiously, but quickly, to the fallen man's side. Mitch was quickly checked for signs of life, and then Berkham was given a cursory inspection.

"Are there others?" asked Leah, who was surprised when Berkham motioned to the distantly visible escape pod.
"As many was we could manage.. Go ahead, we'll... we'll just sit here a moment," Berkham said, managing to nod several times to herself.

The motion continued, which gave Leah pause. Still, the prospect of more wounded came first. Assuring the fragile woman's belief in being rescued once more, Leah moved down the hall more quickly now. She headed for the escape pod, and once there was nearly floored by the efforts of a woman who appeared a moment ago to be completely without strength.

Lining the wall of the escape pod, strapped neatly into their seats, was the entire surviving crew of the Tacoma. All were unconscious, most were in bad shape. Even so, most would probably survive this ordeal with proper treatment. There were even a few of the pirates, hastily patched up and then thoroughly restrained. The distinction was not lost on Leah.

"Grant me strength" she whispered, then took a deep breath. She set to work, letting her training guide her hands as she moved into the escape pod and began trying to keep the crew alive.

~*~ The Bridge ~*~
The atmosphere on the bridge had become a nervous one, with the heavy weight of fear beginning to set into the armored figures by the door. One of the armored commandos had remained near the three noncombatants, his weapon held at an angle toward the floor. Even without seeing his face, the way his head kept scanning back to the door every few seconds gave away his feelings.

Across the bridge, the other three armored figured had taken up position by the door. Two knelt, and the third situated themselves between the first to form something of a wedge-shaped firing line. 'Sir' was the only steady one. His eyes were ringed in fire, an anger boiling to the surface of his temper that was almost as physical as the pistol he held in his hand.

Lourenne was shaking visibly next to Dakota, and her hands moved with the sluggish sort of numbness that only fear can cause. Facing away from their captor, her only response to Dakota was to mouth the word 'Okay'. Then her hands, moving as quickly as she could manage between shaking, began to input the "proper" sequence.

*Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsh*

A groan came from the large sealed door at the entrance to the bridge as it rose part of the way. The sound of weapons being checked, and armor bumping into armor followed. After the weapons were locked and the armor positioned properly, the entire room became as silent as a grave. Everyone, it seemed, was holding their breath.

*Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsh*

Open halfway now, the first to commandos fired salvos into the open space by either side of the door. Bullets sparked against the floor plating, and the sound of metal on metal was almost deafening.

*Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsh*

The door was not deterred from opening, but this time automatic and single-shot fire was coming back the other way. 'Sir' sucked in air through his teeth, taking a step forward and placing his weapon's muzzle against the nape of mouse woman's neck.

"Now."

"It... it's d.. done." Lourenne, the mouse woman, stammered.

Without waiting for her to do it for him, the Linuat reached between the two women and ripped off the long stream of paper. He walked toward the nose of the bridge, toward the lone escape pod in the room, while he folded the paper with one hand.

With his prize secured, he paused at the entrance of the escape pod and turned to the room. Next to him was the body of Tacoma's captain, now becoming a bit pungent with it's age. Not far from him were one of his commandos, the big moose of a not-so-useful mechanical specialist, and the electronics wizard he had enjoyed having as a tool. Then there was Jameson, the irritatingly defiant anthropological specialist that caused him nothing but headaches. He would miss some of them. Some.

Raising his pistol, he took aim at Lourenne's stomach. With dispassionate eyes, he drew the hammer back with his thumb.

"Such a horrible waste of resources. Blame yourself, Miss Jameson. Without your corruption of her loyalty, she would be surviving this!" he shouted over the raging battle.

~*~ The Engine Room ~*~
With her opponent dispatched, Thieli found the entire engine room had grown quiet and still. There was an eerie sort of silence for a few moments, as if the other Sree's death had somehow blanketed the room with it's mortality.

Then gunfire erupted, distantly. There were two sets of weapons, her senses could discern. The acrid smell of smokeless black powder and firing gel found it's way to her a few seconds after the noise. Faintly, she could make out the smell of fresh human blood mixed in with the weapons' components. It smelled familiar, like one of the crew she had traveled this far with.

Opposite the entrance was a large container, where the Sree had been working when she entered. It stood on end, stretching halfway from floor to ceiling. Nested against the main part of the container was a second one, roughly a tenth the size. The smaller container had a glowing yellow sphere sunken halfway into it's shell.

A ring of green and yellow symbols surrounded the sphere, all written in Sreekaanse. Within the sphere was a holographic projection of a single star system, it's sun pulsing slightly. The planets rotated around the sun, and even had the detail of satellites spinning around the planets.

Then it struck her. It wasn't a hologram of planets, it was a visual representation of the reaction inside the large object. It was creating a miniature supernova.

"Beep!" the machine offered, accenting the point. One of the planets fell from it's orbit, sucked into the pulsing mass of the sun. One of the letters around the ring of the sphere began to glow with a red hue. She could either attempt to halt or dissipate the reaction, or she could try to get everyone away from the ship in time.

~*~ On Dangus ~*~
Tall, angular skyscrapers stretched from below the walkway all the way up to the sky above. Their points seemed to mirror old Linuat structures, with a few spires on top of otherwise domed ceilings. A gradual, graceful decline spread the building out floor by floor until it's foundations where roughly three times the size of it's top floor. These buildings, of varying sizes and shape (though all roughly similar), sheltered the main walkway like a gigantic alloy forest.

The walkway itself was constructed of hull plating, bricks, and concrete. Steel beams rose out of the toxic water below them, stretched some hundreds of feet into the air, and then melded seamlessly into the brick and concrete path. High ridges along either side, roughly eight feet tall, permitted neither pedestrians or vehicles to plummet over the side and into the toxic chemicals. "Good for industry, bad for your health" a dockworker had joked to them.

It was along this walkway that Blake and Sam were walking, being escorted by two security guards and a Dytari advocate. The guards were nondescript humans with standard issue pistols at their sides, the same as any private military interest on a human world. On the other hand, the Dytari advocate was an interesting sort. His race was not well known in the universe, certainly not one of the dominant races.

At full height, he came maybe to Blakely's chest. His skin was a leathery texture, colored all in a creamy sort of mocha brown. Large, oval-shaped eyes with no definable color other than "pitch black" blinked more than twice as often as a normal human's would. The legs of the creature were reverse jointed, and gave his bipedal movement an odd sort of back-and-forth stride to it. His arms, about human sized, rippled with muscles.

He craned his head around to face them, the massive eyes scanning both their faces and the walkway ahead. Behind his head, a series of feather-like "spines" danced together. From the brief time they had spent with the man, this seemed to indicate his anxiousness or agitation. Or maybe he was just happy? It was hard to tell, with the expressionless mouth and slits for a nose.

"Human ship will meet in hangar twelve with you and you and I. Cargo for human ship and you and you will be there already," he said with a self-satisfied chirp. He turned back around forward.

They entered into the hangar corridors. Some hangars were stacked on top of others, and stairwells lined both walls to lead to these. Some of the lowest hangars actually sat on or in the water, where massive chemical collectors would churn up the toxic waters in an attempt to dredge the valuable chemicals beneath. Oxygen was a recent addition to this planet's natural environment, a fresh product of cyanobacteria. A "young Earth".

Entering the hangar where the Bering would eventually land, they could see the horizon of Dangus through the open opposite end of the hangar. With the only pollution only recently being added, the view was almost crystal clear before them. Green and orange waves washed across spindly black vegetation. The massive "black forest" was quickly dying off, only the last of them capable of surviving in the oxygen-rich environment. At the base of almost every one was a ring of equipment and personnel to constantly monitor each one's health.

Far out on the horizon, they could see one of the nearly legendary storms brewing. A nightmare mix of acid, cyanide, and some chemical compounds that had yet to be thoroughly identified, the storms were all but religiously avoided. Only through a very kind gift of the Linuat were the buildings capable of standing up to those elements.

"Where be they?!" cried the Dytari man. A human standing behind a terminal next to the door simply shrugged.
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton


Last edited by Tenshi on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
thespaceinvader



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 650
Location: Cardiff, UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs was impressed at his captain's grit. Eisner hadn't needed to make that effort whilst injured. He flicked the shot selector on his weapon to single and put the weapon to his shoulder, ready to aim carefully. Keeping as much in cover as he could, he flicked double tap shots to centre mass on the armoured targets.
_________________
Keeper of Tristram's rings, and Felucca's very expressive ears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sailorscully



Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Posts: 36
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake slung her bag higher up on her shoulder, and ran a hand across her forehead, loosening the wet strands of hair that'd stuck to her sweaty skin. Cripes, but this planet made her feel sticky. Maybe it was her previous propensity towards colder climates, but anything this humid bothered her, made her a bit irksome. She was already starting to get annoyed at their guide's strange manner of speaking.

"Hope there's a good coolin' system on this bucket o' scrap we're hoppin' on, eh?" she muttered softly to no one in particular.
_________________
Ask me about my Bruins obsession. Smile

Don't let my dragon die! Sad clickie?

Dubbed Skipper by Asa
Sailorscully = sailor = pirate = scupper = Skipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sunshine



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 592
Location: Up in the Clouds

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the flecks of red flashing in her vision from all the seething, pent up frustration she was keeping a tight clamp on, Dakota held her ground when Sir pushed his gun against Lourenne's head. Her pride in the girl for not buckling under that overstuffed beanpole's threats kept her from losing it, so that she didn't fail to notice the golden opportunity presented when the Linuat lunged between them to grab the papers. His back briefly exposed to her, Dakota saw and immediately reached for one of the long, serrated combat knives he'd forced her to relinquish before marching her up to the bridge in the first place.

He moved away too quickly for her to be able to use the knife immediately, so she adjusted to a more comfortable backhanded grip and waited, turning just enough as he moved so that the blade remained out of sight, ready for the first opportunity that presented itself.

Her chance came when he cocked his gun and, rather than actually do anything with it... started to monologue. She hadn't waited for him to start talking; the moment she heard the click of his pistol's hammer Dakota was moving. Up onto the console in one stride and launching herself at the thrice-cursed Linuat in the second, knife primed to slash his throat as a gutteral, primitive war cry tore from her own.
_________________
I do commissions!
Interested? Let me know! :D

My deviantART page

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Claen'tor



Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 225
Location: Tennessee Tri-cities

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woman known simply as Sam tuned out the drone of the Dytari worker escorting them to the hangar, knowing that he had little to say that was of actual relevance to their assignment. All of her orders were secured in a sealed folder, waiting to be handed to the captain of the Bering upon its arrival on-planet. Her mid-length French braid hung limply in the humidity, tied so as to keep fly-away strands of hair from getting in her dark eyes. She wore a bright red (self-dyed and restitched) military surplus tee and pair of blue imported waist overalls from the American West over a jet black bodysuit, the suit covering all but her head and extremities, revealing a harsh German eagle tattoo on the back of her hand that had vines extending from the talons to underneath the suit.

There was much about the planet Dangus that piqued Samantha Schoss' curiosity, primarily the age of the developing planet, supposedly only about 2.9 billion planetary revolutions in age. In addition, it was now one of humanity's first major forays into terra-forming, a process that would turn the still-developing planet into one ripe for colonization and material provision. As it stood, Dangus was currently a primordial dump, inhospitable to most advanced organisms, due to caustic elements prevalent in all of the planet's domains of possible habitation.

She smothered a chuckle at her best friend's discomfort, actually comfortable in this weather due to her decidedly wide-ranging special operations service. Her bag, a military duffel stenciled with the words
"Samantha Schoss
Dämon-Mädchen"
was slung comfortably behind her, resting against her bottom and packed to bursting at the seams. This was more than sufficient to keep the duffel from bouncing irritatingly against her bum as she walked, thankfully.

"Well, considering it's a human-made ship, I'm sure they have all the amenities of Earth, down to the climate control," she spoke in response, coating her mirth in a straight-faced response. Her voice resonated softly, a pleasing mixture of Prussian and Oxford-taught English, providing a decidedly exotic sound that was difficult to emulate. "Besides, it hasn't a shredded mark on the heat of the Congo."
_________________
Red is my colour. I live for it. Though it wears horribly on me. D;

I like to post my music. It's a habit. Be nice. ;_;


'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.'
-Soren Kierkegaard

Dubbed Clan by Asa
Claen'tor = Claen = Clan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli sighed aloud as she realized what she was faced with. A nova bomb. These hadn't been used by her people in a long time. Mainly due to their insanely distructive nature.

Thieli, unslung her pack and laid it carefully on the floor and unrolled it. The first item she pulled from her pack looked like a small rectangular device. She pushed the small green button, before attaching it to her belt. The button blinked once and she started talking quietly to herself in sree.

((OOC for ease i'm just using english))

As she talked Thieli moved closer to the device and began to examine it.
"It appears we have a nova bomb, keyed to sree language. The words on it appear jumbled none of them make any sense with the order they're in. I'm making the supposition that the words must be placed in order to stop the detonation...."

Thieli turned back to her pack and pulled out a second device, turning back towards the bomb she scanned the words into the tool and looked at them on the screen. She flicked her fingers over the screen trying to make heads or tails of the bizarre syntax.

As she worked she hummed softly to herself not really paying attention to the tune. One word in the list seemed very familar to her, so she looked back at the device. It wasn't the next "planet" in sequence, so she thought maybe the word was the key.

Thieli paused her humming as she lightly touched the word on the 'screen' of the device. The bomb made a mournful beeping noise as another planet dropped into the black hole.

Thieli, was about to curse when she realized that the noise from the bomb, actually corresponded to the point in the tune where she paused. Thieli eyes "zoned" out as the tune came more to the fore front in her mind, the words slowly pulling forward from the depths of her memory.

Thieli looked down at the screen in her hand and quickly re-arranged the words in to the song, she nearly dropped the tool as all the words came together to form the words of the song. She was shocked, why would a song about a war hero of her people .... as Thieli's thoughts spiraled off the bomb beeped at her again as another planet began it's spiral down into the black hole.

Taking a deep breath Thieli quietly spoke the words of the song as she pressed each word in order. As she touched the word it glowed green and then recessed from the screen. As she touched the last word, Thieli hoped she was right....


((sorry for the delay, tried to post something similar to this last night and of course shut down before the post was completed posting. Apparently i was having what my friends and i call a "pretty" night))
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Fea, I adore you for referencing Nova Bomb. If it was an Andromeda reference, that is.))

~*~ The Hallway ~*~
An acrid smell of gunpowder, and the smell of hot steel filled the hallway. All trace of the stale, stagnant air was gone as bullets broke the silence. Bright flashes continued on either end of the hallway, illuminating the space in momentary sunlight. Barely audible over the explosions, barely noticeable over the bitter scent to the air, the commandos fell back one step. Then another.

The first of the three dropped to the ground, his chest armor a perforated mess. The other two took up cover as best they could, but the bridge was not made to be defended. Overexposed, even their superior weapons couldn't do much to help them. Another of the commandos fell, sagging to one knee and attempting to maintain fire on the covered Bering crew. Their hand clutched the frame of the door, exposing their torso even while they continued raking the hallway.

Bullets raked the cover Gibbs had ducked behind, one round skittering along the floor and catching his pants leg. A sudden sensation of heat faded into warmth near his ankle. He would find it difficult to use, at least until he could look at it and figure out what had happened.

"Go!" called the gruff voice of the clinging commando. Their black armor glistened in the dim light, a sheen of liquid coating the entire front of it. The voice was full of gravel, strained. A choking noise quickly followed the command, which the other commando hesitantly followed. As soon as his partner was out of sight, the sagging commando dropped his weapon to the ground with a clatter. The last thought through his head was a hope that he could just buy her some time. And then, he fell face-first to the deck.

The door to the bridge was now open, giving them a good view of what was happening inside.

~*~ The Bridge ~*~
Within the Bridge itself, chaos had found a new home. As the Linuat commander retreated to the Bridge escape segment, he had made one final play of power. A monologue, a chance to gloat and rub into their little ape faces just how hopeless their situation really was. A monologue, and a mistake.

Dakota leaped at him with the speed of an Australian hunter, pushing past the remaining guard that still held the large man hostage. The Linuat backed up a few steps, surprised enough by the sudden attack to not fire point-blank when he had a chance. By the time he regained his composure, his aim was off and she was too close for it to matter. One retort from the large handgun sent it's recoil up just enough to allow her in.

An answering retort fired from behind her, a dozen or so rounds from an automatic rifle. Not one of them hit steel or armor, but not one of them hit her, either. Dakota's knife struck flesh, burying itself into the jaw of the Linuat commander. A long, wicked wound that drew itself down with her body and momentum, leaving the knife lodged firmly in the man's collarbone. He howled like a wounded dog, backing himself around the corner of the viewing screen. The sound of a hatch closing signaled his final retreat, leaving a trail of blood all the way.

From behind her, she heard Lourenne scream their partner's name. Small footsteps, and the sound of a large body dropping to the ground in a heap.

"Alan!"

~*~ The Lower Hallway ~*~
(Apologies for the brevity, but NPC interaction with NPCs isn't primary on my list... once Mitch is awake, I'll give him some extra lovins')
The commotion had stopped from above, and those in the main escape pod were stabilized as best traveling medicine could have allowed. Once finished, Doctors Gregory and Berkham settled in next to Mitch, tending to the two Tacoma crewman's exhaustion and abrasions.

"You two are lucky to be alive," Leah said calmly.

"Luck had nothing to do with it, we had a guardian angel..." Berkham said, rubbing her right eye and looking Mitch's way with the other. "Just make sure he makes it through this. I... he was strong enough for everyone. He had to be."

~*~ The Engine Room ~*~
(When I speak as to the colors of the buttons, they are only colors in her high red light (IR) vision spectrum. I'm using false-color for theatrics)
The still air was interrupted only by the occasional beep from the large device. Every so often, much more rare than the beeping, a planet would get caught in the growing energy well from the core. As it fell through the near-vacuum, it would be accompanied by a comical "swoosh" noise. Upon falling into the core, a giddy little chirp would chime in and the whole process would repeat.

As Thieli watched it, the device looked as foreign to her as Linuat technology. It's lines were ancient, smoothly rolling from one depression to the next. Within each depression was nested the Ancient Language, one character of the alphabet for each depression in the wheel. The entire wheel seemed to turn over time, which was very strange until it dawned on her the reasoning. The wheel was moving from the first letter of the alphabet to the last, and was roughly three quarters of the way there.

With her first attempt, the bomb denied her with a mocking tone. It's depressions glowed red, replacing the silvery metal sheen for a moment as they did so. The whole wheel spun one letter in distance, and a planetoid inside the chamber fell into it's sun with a "shwoosh." Time was well and truly running out, with only a few letters left.

Then it dawned on her, the alphabet all arranging itself in the perfect order in her head. Her fingers depressed the first one, a green hue illuminating it for a moment, before it faded to blue and cooled out of her vision again. The next was the same, glowing for a moment before cooling. On through the song it went, line by line, until the entire history of the Great Unity was told.

And then, the core began to lose cohesion. It's parts began to break down, the final button sending a metal shield around just the core. Without the energy being fed to it from the generators on either end, the weapon became inert quickly. It would require a kick-start from a fusion reactor to be any danger to anyone, at this point.

The Tacoma, Bering, and even Dangus itself were now safe. At least from the bomb. The pirates remained back toward the bridge, though now she could sense the heavy smell of gunpowder from above.

~*~ Planet Dangus~*~
"Where are they and them?!" cried the strange Dytari creature. With an eyeroll, the human who was manning the docking terminal began to try and explain, again, the reason Bering was being delayed. It seemed like a pretty dry, unimaginative excuse. 'Delays in the gate lanes' was about as close to a complete blow off as you could get from a massive company, and the advocate seemed to know this.

"Unacceptabible!" it yelled, stomping it's reverse-jointed legs and pacing in a circle. The display was humorous, or would have been if not for the climate. Distantly the storm rolled in a bit closer, a flock of freshly introduced wildlife from a Linuat world heading along it's edges.

The scene outside the end of the docking bay was a gorgeous one. The main platform extended out of the center of the room several hundred yards into open sky, with gears and metal planks along it's sides so that it could be fully retracted in poor weather. Along either side of this platform were ramps lowering directly into the 'water', which seemed to be for scientific vessels offloading new cargo.

The green waves lapped at the end of the ramps, leaving the sound of a gently rolling ocean echoing through the entire room. When the advocate was silent, it was incredibly reminiscent of Earth's own oceans.

As if to dispel the illusion, a gust of ammonia rolled in off the distant oceans. Normally the massive flora from the world took care of such things, but denser pockets still existed. The air became quickly difficult to breathe for a few seconds, although it passed just as quickly as it came on. All except for the advocate, who squeaked in an impossibly high pitch.

The advocate clutched at his head above his eyes, mouthing silently. Seems as if he had lost his voice...

On the horizon the storm approached, casting the waves on the ramps a bit more frantically. The distant call of the massive "slug birds" from the Linuat moaned at the storm's advance, sounding a deep and mournful bellow from their gelatinous guts. Another gust of wind blew in, this one no more toxic than the rest of Dangus' primarily breathable atmosphere.

"Hope your ship gets here soon, or we'll have to close the hangar on them. You lot might be stuck on Dangus for a while, if that's the case," offered the Dytari technician at the console. His gaze was practically glued to his console, which was a series of pressure sensors and gages. Several toggle switches and levers lined the edges, with a bright lamp snaking around the top to shine on it all.
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Feaelen



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 257
Location: The pink Vortex of Doom (aka Victoria, BC)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thieli let out a sigh of relief as the reaction shut down she pulled out her communicator and "buzzed" the captain, "Captain, the engine room is secure. Do you need assistance?"

As she spoke Thieli, disassembled the nova bomb into it's composite parts making sure they were no longer connected to any part of the ships reactor. She didn't want someone remote detonating the bomb when the countdown failed to show results. The core she set apart from the rest and covered it up, hoping she have an opportunity to bring it back to the ship as it might be useful for study at a later date.


((come on ppl lets kick start the game Very Happy))
_________________
---
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright
Thieli WIP

Apparently I missed finding the new keepership thread and thus missed out on what i was origionaly keeper of [Willow's Journal and K'Thonya's new made sword [old itteration of Earthsong's archive]]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thespaceinvader



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 650
Location: Cardiff, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs could feel something strange happening around his foot. Maybe he'd caught a ricochet, he wasn't sure. He kept putting down fire until the enewmy had retreated. Then he checked to see what was happening to him.
_________________
Keeper of Tristram's rings, and Felucca's very expressive ears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaptainBoiz



Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feaelen wrote:
Thieli, smiled as she patted the control panel, the engine had performed admirably during the manouvers. She could think of a few things to tweak but they could wait for smoother sailing.

Thieli tilted her head at the anouncement of the Captain, and let her fingers fly over the controls as he ordered them to boarding party status. She checked to make sure the engine would "carry on as if she were normal" while she was away. And then quickly left the engine room and headed to her quarters.

Thieli, dropped into her room and pulled open her tool kit, taking various tools and placing them into the holders of a strange flat of "cloth" that folded up into a strange small bag that she could sling across her back. Who knew what she'd run into with this new engine room so best take a wide variety of things.

After that was packed and attached, she pulled a strange long thin cylindrical "billy club" shaped object from her tool trunk. She gave a quick snap of her wrist and smiled a garish smile as a strange ripple acompanied by a slight whoosh sound passed down the shaft and it transformed into a blade. "Perfect" she muttered, to noone in particular. She snapped it again back into club form before attaching it to it's strange holster on her hip belt. Ready to go she headed out the door and towards the assembly hatch



That must be painful and that quick snap would turn out the circulation of the blood in a traumatic flow. Indeed, silly at all.
_________________
Women can stand a beating except when it is with their own billy club weapon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Elveron phpBB theme/template by Ulf Frisk and Michael Schaeffer
Copyright © Ulf Frisk, Michael Schaeffer 2004


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group