FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

OOC Hunter Legacy- the Sharks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: OOC Hunter Legacy- the Sharks Reply with quote

This is an idea I've had in my head for a while. Hunter Legacy takes place on Earth, a half-dozen centuries in the future. It's got a bit of Sci-Fi and Fantasy flavor, and is mildly Post-Apocalyptic.

The Sharks were a fairly successful mercenary group operating in desert east of Turkey, until they struck it rich and retired. Seven years later, Saul Jahanu, a former Shark recruit, approached his retired commander and received permission to revive the Sharks. Saul seeks out an Information Broker, accompanied by his girlfriend and lieutenant, Brooke Salamne, to find a list of suitable recruits.

I'm not quite ready, yet; all the weapons are done, but the character types still need a little work. I have it in my head, just not fully refined or on the computer. I'll post all the important info as soon as I get it written.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they revive it?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saul was approached by a financial backer, the informant he plans to ask about recuits, and the pay is quite a bit better than anything else he is qualified for. He and Brooke are still in their twenties, and neither is well suited for a career that involves working at a desk, showing up on time, or not shooting things.

Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't have umpteen RPG commitments, and about to (aparently) take on a GM slot, I would be all over this like white on rice. I LOVE sci-fi stories! Esp. ones with action and explosions. Call me a stereotypical guy or whatnot, I still think it's all awesome.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty weak premise to me... what's the plot? Just run around and shoot things? We've already got several like that.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's magic. Science-y, just-another-form-of-energy magic, but still- flying swords and fireballs. Right now I'm trying to balance the different classes of genetically enhanced humans; the desert is making things difficult.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercenary plot-lines are pretty keen on improvisation. For instance, your employer wants you to go and blow something up. Okay, that's cake...

How about if your employer wants you to rescue his kidnapped daughter? Wow, a noble cause as well! Excellent! So, you go for it, the pay is amazing, and everything goes off without a hitch... good times.

Then you leave, and as you're trying to work out a parts purchase with an arms merchant, he tries to collect the bounty that's suddenly on your head... so you're off trying to figure out who placed it, and your search leads you to the corporate rivals of your last employer. Masterminding a kidnapping, you take the CEO of the corporation hostage and demand to know why he's put a bounty on your head.

Turns out, that daughter you 'rescued' wasn't returned to her real father. Her real father is the guy you just kidnapped, and the "terrorists" you kidnapped her from were trying to return her to her real father. So, as a point of honor, you have to go and kidnap the girl...and while you're at it, deal with the person who set you up with the arms merchant and put the bounty on your head: your original employer.

Wow, that rescue mission just got awful complicated...

Mercenary plots are cake, because they can snowball and be random and you can always go back and play on old storylines. The only real downside to mercenaries is that they, eventually, all either go 100% money-hungry, or 100% white knight syndrome... and generally the division in the crew destroys the RPG.

Sorry, I'll shush now.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last point is part of the reason I wrote two leaders. It'll let me argue.

Asa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess - she goes money-hungry and he goes white knight.

theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there's a world-wide bounty on zombies and the Pride (androids bent on ending humanity), as well as large rewards for recovering civilians from danger zones, so the White Knight and Money-Hungry options aren't too different. Anyway, you know I can't tell you how the characters turn out :p.

Asa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pointed out to me that my comment sounds sharp and full of contempt, and I was horrified to hear it - I didn't mean it that way at all, and if that's what you felt form it and were hurt, I deeply apologize. It was not meant maliciously; I would never in a million years do something like that intentionally. It was meant in fun, to guess which way you were taking your characters, and as a light joke.

Again, if you were offended or hurt in any way, I sincerely apologize.

theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... okay. I didn't find it offensive at all. I was just teasing you about hunting for spoilers.

Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the blame there, I'm a bit of a cynic and was jabbing at her comment to try and elicit conversation about being cynical and jaded... Circular thinking is one of my few specialties. Razz

BTW, Thebes, have you read a new book by Mark L. Van Name called "One Jump Ahead"? I think you would really like it, it has a fair bit of mercenary-ness to it that you would probably appreciate.

Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very up on sci-fi novels. I'll see if I can find it at the library though.

theBSDude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to apparent lack of interest and/or business, I'm putting Sharks on hold. When/if enough people say they're available, I'll bring it back. Should be ready to start by then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: