FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I don't have a bathtub... as it happens, I don't live in the States anymore, either. According to some predictions, however, my family is in the path of BOTH storms, so please think of them as well.

Yeah, folks - it's not just a hurricane up the east coast, it's a snowstorm from the plains as well... This is what they're calling it: Frankenstorm. *rolls eyes* I think it's possibly more inane than Snowmaggedon, which is what we had a few years ago.

The name is stupid, but the storm is not. Nu and Usa, I hope you and your families stay safe.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nu is far enough south that she'll just get a lot of rain. We're supposed to get 1-2 feet of snow in the mountains, so that means we may pick up anywhere from nothing to a foot where we are. I'll keep your family in my thoughts, Asa. They're likely to get it worse than we are here. It'll probably be like "Snowmageddon" all over again, yeah. In the Northeast, we're pretty familiar with snow storms. It is what it is, we'll shovel out and get back to work. Always have, always will.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck folks. I'll keep you all in my thoughts.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm path update: Looks like just the coast is in the direct path of the storm (they've already declared a state of emergency). I appear to be safe from everything but colder weather and wide-spread power outages. Which we have more than enough candles and propane to stick out.

So stay safe then, Usa.
Asa, my thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change those well wishes away from me, please. Send them Fealwen and PCP's way!

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=pacific.TIBPAC.2012.10.28.0341

A 7.7 quake, good grief.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.7?? Geeze. o____o

Looks like they actually had three within an hour--the 7.7 was the first one with two major aftershocks I guess of no less than a 4.8 .

Be careful, forum, please. Stuff's going crazy.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, Usa, prayers are not a finite entity, and we can pray and think about all of you with no ill effects.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
Fortunately, Usa, prayers are not a finite entity, and we can pray and think about all of you with no ill effects.

I think I've heard that once or twice before. Razz

Still tho', I'm just likely to get some snow and some wind - nothing I'm not familiar with from growing up in these mountains. A 7.7 earthquake is far more deserving a more focused attention. 's all I'm saying.

No snow yet. Disappointed Tenshi.

Red Skelton
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No snow ever, here! Disappointed Asa.

Today was a good day! I went to the library to work and wrote two more pages on The Paper and sketched in the analysis based on statistical work done by a friend of mine, and got some good feedback. I went to tutoring, and started yet again with another group, but only got through 15 minutes before they had to leave for work. Then I came back and got money from the bank, as well as buying new sheets. This evening (hopefully) someone's coming over to hook up a router to see if it works as a repeater. If it works, I'll buy it from him. If not, he'll take it back with him.

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
I went to the library to work and wrote two more pages on The Paper . . .

I love that it's capitalized.

Today lots of clouds and lots of wind and low temperatures. Hello hurricane, how are you?

Today I spent five hours prepping for, working in, and cleaning up after the inauguration of my college's new president. Then I went to a job interview, which I think went well.

I'm not entirely sure I want the job, though. It's retail which means Black Friday. The thought is terrifying. Also, there are openings at the hospital answering phones, which would be much preferable--closer to school, not retail, better pay, and not seasonal. I've applied for the job and I really, really, really hope something comes of it. It'd be nice to have a job that wasn't seasonal or contractual. And that paid more than minimum wage.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the preferable job nu' ^_^

#

Have I mentioned before how ugly the local library is?

It's like someone looked at a German pilbox from the second world war and went. "Yes. I like what they were thinking."

Inside it's all one floor, for some unfathomable reason. And, as mentioned before, contains very few books by comparison to the old libraries that its replaced.

Some architects need to be dragged out into the street and shot. >_>

Today got a call about some potential work experience, that I thought they'd forgotten about. So that's all to the good - potentially.

Today walked into town and picked up a couple of lengths of plastic pipe.

Today deleted a lot of bot posts - only to see them all back again within the space of maybe 12 hours <_< Bleh.
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the irony...

Has anyone figured out why we're getting so many bot posts now? Where's the weak spot in our defenses?

Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, either something's written a program to bypass the captcha or there's some employee in India or somewhere being paid to solve captcha's to get past that bit. Then there's that the forums don't seem to have any form of flood control, and there are only two admins with the power to ban bots, who both have lives so can't be here all the time. -shruggle-
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Nem. Thank you for your post in the "Listening to" Thread. I love saxaphones and smooth songs..

Today, I had an adventure. Also known as "Today The Storm Hit."

I'll post it in the Venting thread.

Today I am in an oddly good mood, despite having an incredibly harrowing morning.

Today I got bonus points in two classes just for being there. Go Hurricane Sandy!

Here's the album for the pictures I've taken so far. Will add to it through winter:
Code:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/infinity-omega/Winter%202012/
Code: GoSnowGo

Edit: My brother took this pretty cool picture last night, when I was cleaning off cars and such. I hadn't shaved in several days (the darkened stubble, not the regular beard) by this point, but here you go:

Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Glad you're ok Usa! And I thought we were doing well with 9" snow in five days! I hope you can find somewhere to sleep warm tonight.

Today some equipment arrived for my SCIENCE! so hopefully I will be able to get a wriggle on with that.

Today I ate food from Japan and China and India and Nepal and Sri Lanka and Africa and Norway and the Faroe Islands and Greece and Spain and Austria and the US and Canada. It was all delicious! I was particularly enamoured with a sort of Indian rice pudding, and pumpkin pie, which I've never had before. It was yummy ^_^

Today I'm sending happy thoughts to all of you suffering under Sandy.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 37 of 67

Jump to: