FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then don't listen to the books!
People looking at applications and such are really looking for anything that will stand out--because if they're going through hundreds of applications and they don't remember you at all that's tough cookies. The general advice is to be memorable through an excellent resume, but a snarky cover-letter would work, too. Wink

Yesterday I registered for classes. Since I was able to register on the first day that means I am officially a college senior! How terrifying a thought is that?

Had to shuffle classes around last minute due to not having pre-requisites and not wanting to take a lab. Ended up with six classes, when I was only planning on taking four. Bleh.
One is a class on Tolkien, though, so it should be a lot of fun, and I've already read everything before--so less pressure for deadlines there, too.

Today I forgot to do the reading for Literary Criticism. Whoops. That'll be a headache in a few hours. ><;;
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu is right. You're basically looking to stand out from a mass of CVs. Most of the time, if you can hand deliver your CV and leave an impression on the application taker, you'll have a better chance. Barring that, having some personality to your CV is the easier way.

Self-help books can be... kind of iffy about their advice, I've found.

Today I started watching a show that a friend recommended to me. It's like... a WWII-ish story crossed with some antiquated sense of chivalry, a "coming of age" story, and all of this given a somewhat magical/steampunk flavor. I really do recommend it, actually. 's called "Last Exile", pretty cheap on Amazon at the moment for the whole series.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't getting much advice from the great old ones =p

Mmm, I shall keep it in mind - perhaps be a little less, strict, in the old formality department.

Today I got a new phone, to replace the old phone that was... coming to the end of its useful life. i.e. it wouldn't access wikipedia correctly anymore and Nem was like ARGG, MY OTHER BRAIN. =p Don't do much internet use on the phone, but... there are some things that from time to time someone says and your natural instinct is to check. Which admittedly doesn't always lead to wikipedia but ... I digress, anyway.

It's shiny.

Fortunately they've made significant advances in software keyboards since last I used one. The predictive texting that something like swiftkey lets you do is really nice.

Voice commands are quite nice too. I told it to bring me the head of John the Baptist. Razz I was concerned when a teacher who was in the group at the time asked "Who?" I've had Religious Education teachers ask me who Lucifer is before. >_>

Anyhoo, yes, it's shiny. There's not much more to say on that front really. Did consider getting one of those samsung gs3 things but the HTC fits my bear-like mit better.

Today went down to the job centre - did the usual handing over of documents and getting them to sign off on things. Got this one woman to look through my CV, though she pointed out she didn't really know too much about them. Still, always good to have a second opinion. ^_^

Well, okay, that's not true - if that opinion's undifferentiatingly negative such that it doesn't compose a productive fault analysis or continually undermines someone's confidence then it's not a good thing. But you get the idea. There's a trend.

-drums fingers-

To bed now I think. Its been a long old week and it's far from over.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there, everyone.

Today was a long, rather atrocious day, but here I am - survived. Was bitten by a spider in the AM when I was folding my shorts (which it had decided made a good residence), then my sunglasses (prescription) broke in the afternoon. Just a long day. Odd, long day.

Today I can begin to track a pattern in my exercise. Every time, I'm going a little further in the same amount of time (so, going faster). I'm increasing the difficulty, also, and I'm burning more calories. However, my heart rate is staying in the 140's. That means that my body is adapting to these increases pretty well. I am well pleased, body. Well pleased.

I could make a spreadsheet of these values, and they would be trending. That's cool. </nerd>

I'd post more, but I'm suddenly and thoroughly exhausted. A friend hooked me up with a new anime series, "Last Exile". I do recommend.

G'night forum.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's a long week for all of us and it's not even half over yet!

It's been a mixed bag for me, I received a lovely parcel from my friend including a letter which made me cry happy tears, things at my Dad's work have been difficult lately but they've started looking up this week and my Grandpa is not doing well. He disappeared over the weekend for a couple of hours and he can't remember where he was. He has diabetes and dementia so we are now forced to look at residential homes for him. He can't look after himself anymore. We would have looked sooner, but my aunt and uncle kicked up a fuss. That's a rant for another time though.

On the up-side, the first snow of the season arrived this week ^_^

Keep on plugging folks, we'll get there.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs Allicat*

Yesterday I saw my favourite singer in concert and it was an amazing night. I don't go to many concerts but I am so so glad I went to this one.

Today was not so great. I got home from staying at a friend's at around two this afternoon and started to feel sick. I was fine on the train home, which I'm pretty glad about because it was three hours long, but this afternoon I've been sick and I'm very very tired. I can understand why I'd feel tired but I don't know why I feel sick.

I'm almost wondering if I drank alcohol by accident because I have all the symptoms of a hangover.

I probably just ate something iffy.

Worth it though.
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs Britty back* I hope you feel better soon. Who did you go to see?

Nem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*also hugs Allicat*

Today I got an email that was obviously just some guy fishing for contact details.

Quote:
Good morning Mr [Name here],

Developing outsourcing company is providing you a part-time opportunity for you to get additional income and save our time.

Mind that we are not offering a sales position, and your main duty is processing payment orders from our customers.

A brief description is as follows. This is a part-time job and it will take you 2-3 hours a day on average. A full-time job can be offered after the training period.

We pay base salary equal to 1500 GBP a month but after the training period your salary will be increased up to 2500 GBP/month.

If you would like to learn more, please contact me back with the questionnaire filled in at ----. We will discuss terms of employment in detail.

========FORM*********FORM==========
Full name: ____________________
Contact phone: __________________

========FORM*********FORM==========

Sincerely,
HR Recruiter

Yeah, your company seems SOOOO trustworthy =p

Still, I wrote back to him, out the kindness of my heart.

Quote:
Dear Mr HR Recruiter,

I'm unsure where you got this address from, though I can guess easily enough. However, I do not give out details to someone who has given me no details by which I can check up on them. And certainly not to people emailing me from random gmail accounts and failing to have the courtesy to leave as much as their name. How, after all, do I know you're not a con-man; attempting to attain my details for identity theft, or to sell to one of the numerous online spam lists?

If you have an honest offer to make to people, (not myself, for I believe it is already clear that whatever else we might have in common our understanding of manners - and as such of an acceptable company culture - is dramatically different,) then may I suggest you address people in a more professional manner in future? I'm sure you appreciate having your time wasted as little as I do.

Yours sincerely,
Mr [Nem]

Not entirely sure why I wrote back. It just seemed. The thing to do. >_> Regardless. You get these fishy adverts sent to you more and more these days. If it is a legit company, it's not making itself look good.

Today I really want to go to karate, but I've had a headache for a while now and I feel because *touch wood* it hasn't been as bad today I should probably NOT do anything too energetic.

>_> Why's it always the times you want to go that you can't? =p

Edit:

You know musing about consistent principles of justice might have gone too far, when it gets to one in the morning and you're advocating that prisoners have disproportionately powerful votes on the grounds that:

A) Imprisonment of significant numbers of people is indicative of a serious schism between the general culture and the standards of those with the power to make laws,

and

B) The rate of crimes that actually lead to imprisonment is far lower than the number of people who actually commit the crimes.

@_@ Sleep now I think.
- Issa
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar issues with Gumtree Nem, I once tried to look for jobs on their website and most of them were 'Vacancy availiable. Call [phone number]' without even a business name or a description of the job. Do they actually get any applicants doing that?

Another pet peeve of mine is when job websites don't take down adverts when the closing date has gone. Irritatingly the government's official job site does this.

*Hugs Alli again*, I went to see Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra* but I saw so much more than that. She had a bunch of guest acts, including Neil Gaiman who sang a very disturbing song that I didn't really like but was accompanied by a banjo, a ukulele and people playing saws.

Today I feel much better.

*Not child friendly or safe for work. Google at your own risk.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
*Hugs Alli again*, I went to see Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra* but I saw so much more than that. She had a bunch of guest acts, including Neil Gaiman who sang a very disturbing song that I didn't really like but was accompanied by a banjo, a ukulele and people playing saws.

.... I think I have to like Neil Gaiman a little bit more now, just for being a bit eccentric and odd. It's hard to like him more than I did before. Somehow, I shall find a way.

I'm glad you're feeling better, also. ^_^

I've not really anything to add to the conversation about work search. It's really no better in the US, with companies often being lazy about postings, or simply misleading about what's really being offered. "Well, we're really looking for a fry cook." "...but the job posting says Product Quality Assurance Associate.." or something like.

Today my exercise went quite well. I finished my routine, and then felt... like I was forgetting something, honestly. Today's the first day that I've finished up without being exhausted, which means that my body's adapted to the routine. Time to switch it up a bit, throw some curve balls. I'm limited by my asthma, but maybe some karate or the like is in order.

Yesterday and today... I attended a local campus association's event (of which I'm an on-again, off-again member due to my schedule). I had lunch with a friend, and we plotted (loosely) her course schedule for the next three semesters (the rest of her undergrad). I ordered in French, which was cool! It's for a Psych class ("social/cultural deviance"), but it was nice to put to work some of the French I've learned this semester.

Hm. Not a lot else, save errands and phone calls and so on. Lots of staying busy, not a lot of "neat things I'd like to share". I will, however, share a bit of philosophy.

This is what I actually think of, when I think of this American trend "YOLO":
This moment, the one we're living right now, will never in all of history - past or future - be repeated in just the same way. This is ours, no one else's ever. This moment, and every moment, is more rare and special than all the gold and diamonds in all the world. It is one star among a universe, but no other star will ever be just as it is.

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of something a comedian said once "live life like there's no tomorrow. That's what they tell you right? Yeah what they don't tell you is what to do when tomorrow gets here and you're not dead yet."

#

Yeah, Direct gov is a really annoying website. My favourite feature has to be how it ends your session when you spend too long on it, and even when you're not logged in to anything. Closely followed by its absence of static links to job postings - tying them instead to your session . >_> clearly someone put a fair bit of thought into things to get them this messed up.

Today I've just woken up. Think this room needs less sunlight during the day. @_@

Oh also spent some time looking at shorthand styles yesterday. Pitman's style is really pretty, but teeline is by the looks of things really easy to learn. Pitman's is all curves and different widths of line to show the meaning. Looks kinda like a mix of Arabic and cursive Chinese. =p
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forumites who live in the US on the East Coast: There's a hurricane that's expected to roll in Sunday and Monday--forecast to hit the middling states. So fuel up on gas and make sure you've got some supplies. Supposed to be power outages, severe winds, snow, etc.

As far as I know Usa and I are the only ones in the path of the storm, but if anyone else happens to be lurking about, be careful.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Forumites who live in the US on the East Coast: There's a hurricane that's expected to roll in Sunday and Monday--forecast to hit the middling states. So fuel up on gas and make sure you've got some supplies. Supposed to be power outages, severe winds, snow, etc.

As far as I know Usa and I are the only ones in the path of the storm, but if anyone else happens to be lurking about, be careful.

Be safe, Tinu. I know I'm in good stead. I've got lots of water stocked up, plenty of wood chopped, and all that. It's not supposed to drop below 30 except at night, so we'll see what happens. If nothing else, it'll be like camping, just in our house. Wouldn't be the first time!

Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to both of you. Be safe!

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone going through any emergency, really, but particularly for us east coast US folk right now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/1259qw/lpt_hurricane_preparedness_fill_bathtubs_with/c6se2ur

Also, thank you Alli!

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 36 of 67

Jump to: