Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: That is an EX PARROT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Asa! ^____^
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't know... I think politics can bring out the best in people, too. There are people who will use it as a platform to attack, belittle, and defame; but there are also people who will use it as a platform to educate and encourage. For me, the crux of the matter is finding someone that I can disagree with, but still remain friends with. "I may not agree with what you're saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" kind of thing.

But then, I've always had a somewhat eclectic collection of friends - and gladly so!

I'm sorry I've not been active here on ES. It's been somewhat awkward for me, so I've slipped into other areas. I still... well, it's creepy to admit, but I still browse ES at the very least on a daily basis. I just don't post. More active on Reddit and Facebook these days, I suppose, though beyond the odd links I transplant from Reddit to Facebook... Actually, I suppose I'm just not very active anywhere, these days. I apologize for that.

Anyway, a peace offering of awesomeness. Read it in Morgan Freeman's voice:
http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg.html

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh... I like that. I like that a lot. And Morgan Freeman is the perfect narrator.

Left for the interview at 11, didn't get back into town until 4, and went shopping, having forgotten I was supposed to babysit at 5. So I ran across town to get there in time, and babysat for my wonderful third cousin once removed while she slept peacefully. Didn't get home again until after 12. I honestly don't know how it went. They weren't jumping up and down, so I'm resigning myself to a negative outcome. The commute would be more than two hours each way by bus if I didn't get a ride, which I think I can handle but the interviewer seemed to think would be an obstacle. So we'll see how it goes.

Have a friend over to finally assemble my closet and bookcase. Yay storage!!!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today moved a washing machine. Grrr arrg.

You notice your arms get all swollen immediately after you've just been doing stuff? I mean heck, if you were going to get you blood taken - that'd be the time to do it. =p

Anyway, that's a washing machine and a dishwasher they've had to replace now.

Need to work on a bit more power really - getting to the point where you're not really knackered or in pain or anything. The old muscles are just refusing to do anymore. Like someone's thrown a switch and that's all you're getting out of them for a while. I like to work up to about 40 reps before adding more weight on. Reasonable trade off between endurance and strength. Don't want to get too heavy after all. ^^;
- Issa
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 reps? That's...a lot. I usually do 6-10 if I'm working on bulk, 15-20 if I'm working on endurance/tone.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am taking part in a sponsored charity walk.

In fact it's a marathon. A walking one but still, a marathon.

Despite having about three months to preapre for this I am not ready.

Oh well, wish me luck!
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
Today I am taking part in a sponsored charity ... marathon.

Good luck!

More shiny things for you guys. It's a small world, after all:
http://i.imgur.com/bGx5I.jpg

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Britty!

That is a shiny image Usa. It's humbling in the best possible way.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series, for some reason, really broke my heart.. There are some days where I miss my son more than I realize. I wish I could do more.
http://i.imgur.com/ILgNZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qb8LH.png

Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you do more for him than you realize, Usa. You're not that father.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! We did it in 10 hours so my friends and I walked all night.
I've never done anything like that in my life and today I am tired. Legs, knees and feet are all in pain so I don't foresee myself doing anything for the next few days.
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice and elevation, and pain-killers. Congrats, Britland, that's an accomplishment.

Today I acquired shelves and a printer and two trashcans, as well as retrieving my hot plate and meat silverware. I feel accomplished. I feel like making one of those video game announcement screens "ASA has acquired PRINTER! ASA has acquired DESK SHELVES! ASA has acquired TRASHCAN! ASA has gained 30 LP!" or something like that, but I couldn't find a widget online. There has to be one, though.

Also talked to a friend from last year, and we agreed we should meet up sometime soon, since nobody else understands us. And the guy who helped me build my closet on Thursday discovered on Saturday that he has a hernia. Today he assured me he'd be able to help me haul and install two sets of curtains. I don't know whether to believe him or not. Has anyone had a hernia before? Can you still do stuff, or is it better to take it easy?

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Britland! ^__^

I was under the impression that it's better to take it easy. That might only apply after surgery, though.

Today my dad gave me my granddad's old camera. It was first produced in 1939, and it uses flash bulbs. I am excited.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Britland:
Asa wrote:
Ice and elevation, and pain-killers. Congrats, Britland, that's an accomplishment.

This is good advice. Also, take an NSAI - Non-Steroid Anti Inflammatory. Things like Ibuprofen, for example. Also, don't ice constantly. I think the rule is 10 on 15 off. Also, more than all that? CONGRATULATIONS! You just did something awesome. Ten hours of a marathon is incredible! Regardless of whether you finished in a competitive time or not, you finished, and that alone is a worthwhile accomplishment. Kudos to you.

Asa wrote:
I feel accomplished. I feel like making one of those video game announcement screens "ASA has acquired PRINTER! ASA has acquired DESK SHELVES! ASA has acquired TRASHCAN! ASA has gained 30 LP!" or something like that, but I couldn't find a widget online. There has to be one, though.

Got you covered.

(Minecraft fans, rejoice?)

Asa wrote:
And the guy who helped me build my closet on Thursday discovered on Saturday that he has a hernia. Today he assured me he'd be able to help me haul and install two sets of curtains. I don't know whether to believe him or not. Has anyone had a hernia before? Can you still do stuff, or is it better to take it easy?

Having gone through a hernia (well before the back surgery), I can say that he should very definitely take it easy. If not, he risks some nasty stuff. Not sure how people over yonder way are in terms of stubbornness (I've heard that it's pretty much the rule over there, from my Israeli-born friends). My amateur medical advice is to thank him profusely, but say that it's already taken care of or something. >_> Can you do it on your own?

@Tinu: ....Envy you right now. So hard. Razz Do we get to see the shiny results of said camera? Sayyessayyessayyespleeeeeeeeeeeease!

Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:

@Tinu: ....Envy you right now. So hard. Razz Do we get to see the shiny results of said camera? Sayyessayyessayyespleeeeeeeeeeeease!

I haven't even learned to use it yet. It's a Rangefinder, not an SLR--I've never used a Rangefinder, don't know how to. I could just start snapping pictures like mad, but the exposure would likely be pretty messed up, considering that the control dials on this thing appear to be written in another language. Rolling Eyes

Though. It DID come with a light meter. *glee* I don't know how to work it yet but once I do I am golden. For all time.

I'll let you know if it works out. On the bright side, I have a LOT of film I need to use. I'm sure you'll see something. Eventually. At some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 26 of 67

Jump to: