FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Preparing for Purim

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Preparing for Purim Reply with quote

This is the holiday where we give gifts of food to each other. It's supposed to be a full meal, which means two different types of food, and a drink. I'll be giving candy, tea, soup mix and fruit.

And now, the week before Purim, is when people with too much time on their hands make overly elaborate themes for their gift bags... >.>

My theme is black, gold and green, because I have black sharpies and green sandwich bags, and I bought a gold metallic marker. I spent this afternoon working on these:

Mini styrofoam masks, sharpies and metallic marker. I still have five more to make. More photos will be added as I complete the elements of my gift bags. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so cute! What's the background of Purim? I've heard of it but never actually knew what it was.

I love the masks. There's something fascinating about obscuring/enhancing facial features in this way.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! Here are a couple links:

The how-to guide. Really SHORT summary of the story, plus all the observances we keep today to commemorate the holiday. This is the one you should read if you're only a little interested. ^_^

The basic story. Basically the text of the Megillah, or the scroll we read every year.

The complete story, with background information and oral traditions that flesh out the Jewish history and perspective of the story. Quite a bit longer and much more in depth.

Hope that helps and doesn't make you glaze over.

So the relevant bits: We give gifts of food to emphasize Jewish unity. There's a certain minimum, but it's always nice to be creative. I'm including the theme of masks because the Purim miracles were concealed and disguised in the natural order of things - this is one of the reasons why we dress up on Purim. They're Venetian (sorta) masks because a) that's what the store had and b) I really really like Venetian masks.

That's about it, really.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: