FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Realizing your little world and it's characters.

ZoranTheBear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Realizing your little world and it's characters. Reply with quote

And by "little world" I mean your very own magical land of talking horse things who troll each other with friendship letters.

Har.

What I'm getting at, is that do you have your own world inside your head filled with it's own lore and creatures that you have shown in some form?

Do you have a world filled with a captivating story and characters you've developed through thought, games, playoff of books, comics, etc?

And with this huge universe inside your mind, have you ever want it realized but can't seem to find a way how? Well I'm pretty much in the same boat. But, what is your world like?

For me, it is always changing and evolving as it slowly matures but overall it's in a third person view of one viking like man in a celtic world.

It's obviously fantasy. And it's main protagonist is this "beast" named Lorn Bearlord

Lorn Bearlord envisioned in the MMO Champions Online(I refuse to play this game now.)(http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5643/screenshot2011060303163.jpg)

His personality and traits are of a soft gentle giant. Loving and caring, with hopes of peace for his people. For which he is strictly loyal and protective of. But when provolked or his companions threatened, he bursts forth into such a rage that no god would dare raise a hand to stop him!

He is a big guy, by height of 8-10 ft tall(I haven't settled on the height yet) Muscular stature similar to the Hulk.

In fact a very simplified way of explaining Lorn, would be The Hulk as a Viking Warrior.

He speaks in a dumb dialect of "Lorn smash puny man!" Sometimes borrowing lines from the Hulk himself. Such as "Lorn strongest barbarian there is around! Little man hurt Lorn! Little man leave Lorn alone!" But, he is by no means stupid. He thinks and fights with patience and understanding of his surroundings. No matter the level of his rage he will always think first and charge second.

Now his weapon of choice is a huge two handed warhammer. I'll have to describe and think of how it was made on some other day. But, otherwise it increases smashing efficiency by 100%

Although I could go on and on and on about his powers and back story and blah blah blah but I'm sure you got the picture.

But the WORLD in which he lives in, is a mixture of snowy mountains and thick green forests. Druids and nature like elements thrive in his area.
Of course there are the world's fair share of Desserts, ocean biomes, tundra, jungles, etc.

It's your classic medieval fantasy world filled with goblins and ghouls. Dragons are intelligent beings and war is waged over resources and lands nearly everyday. Familiar minerals of our world are also translated into mine. Except a special material I've yet to design yet ><

With all this dump of BLEGH. I've never been able to realized my World and Lorn. Because I've no way to write it down. Especially in the form of drawings.

I've been tempted on ordering commisions for Lorn. But, I've been too scared that it might turn up wrong or the artist couldn't fulfill my needs(I'm sure it's hard to get it just right. Since you can't see what they have envisioned.) That or I might insult him or her saying they didn't live up to my expectations and I don't like that drawing. I REALLY don't want it to come down to that. So I've put it off.

I'd draw Lorn myself if I even knew how to get it right. I've tried but his body proportions are always completely thrown off and it looks so bland that it isn't even worth it. It's starting to become a dream to have him drawn. Razz

And with my world. I've attempted cartography myself for the world. And the issue with the lack of know how restrict me from going down that path as well.

So, do you have a world and/or character you haven't or have realized in a shape or form?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I think this thread would probably fit better in the Writing Forum, considering its topic.

Second, an answer to your question. I find that my creativity mostly expresses itself in the creation of worlds, or world-building. Stories are just the tip of the iceberg, for me; I have the most fun playing "What if?" with my mind.

In this light, I've come up with dozens of worlds, each with its own set of characters and rules of nature. Some of them are sci-fi and have aliens, some are alternates of what we would call the 'real world', and some are fantasy, with varying degrees of magical content.

The one that is uppermost at the moment involves political intrigue in a technically magical universe, though the magic is actually rather peripheral to the story and the people involved. I mean, there ARE mages, people who practice magic, but they're rare. Most people in this world think of magic as a fable or a distantly historical fact. This world isn't really fleshed out, since the story itself isn't very fleshed out, and I don't know what the geography or climate is like, other than that there's at least one large tract of temperate forest, a great deal of plains-land, and an ocean coast somewhere. For more information, please see this story.

The other recent world I've built sort of evolved out of a series of stories I wrote a while ago. It's based on Scottish and Celtic mythical beings and stories, like selkies, so it's a very coastal society, windswept. There's a large town (uncreatively called Port Town), and smaller fishing villages scattered up and down the coast. Jewel tones abound, people are generally happy. Again, techincally magical, but the people themselves don't really have or deal with magic. The most magical thing about the place are its living legends. For more information, please see this story and this story.

SO... In final answer to your question, I wouldn't really worry to much about 'realizing' your world through writing or drawing. Ask "What if?" questions. What would people do if...? Where would people live if...? What's the political climate? Who are the most important people? What do they care about? If you have a character, what does he do when he's 'off-screen'? THAT'S how you build worlds, by looking beyond your stories.

Welcome to the forum, and perhaps we can resurrect the Writing Forum...

^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
ZoranTheBear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
First, I think this thread would probably fit better in the Writing Forum, considering its topic.

Welcome to the forum, and perhaps we can resurrect the Writing Forum...

^_^

I debated on putting it there, but since I'm not trying or intended this thread to be used for story telling. I decided to plop it here than there. It's more or less to describe our imagination vaguely than actually flesh it out. Which would eventually fall into the random category.

And thank you for the welcome Smile I have no plans on contributing to the Writing Forum sadly. I sorta lost interest in writing full blown stories years ago. I simply like to tell them through voice now.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Realizing your little world and it's characters. Reply with quote

Edit: Also welcome, welcome! Good to see some new folks around. ^_^

ZoranTheBear wrote:
I've been tempted on ordering commisions for Lorn. But, I've been too scared that it might turn up wrong or the artist couldn't fulfill my needs(I'm sure it's hard to get it just right. Since you can't see what they have envisioned.) That or I might insult him or her saying they didn't live up to my expectations and I don't like that drawing. I REALLY don't want it to come down to that. So I've put it off.

It's expected that what an artist comes up with at first isn't going to be what you were thinking of. Generally - though how individuals operate varies - an artist will commit to a concept sketch based on your description, and a certain number of revisions of that sketch for a price. And then, if you both decide to go ahead together after you've seen the sketch and any revisions, they'll produce a finished piece (based on the sketch) at a different price.

Like someone might charge $200, by way of example, for a concept sketch and two revisions; and then another $500 for a finished painting based on that sketch. (Plucking figures out of thin air. I mean I don't know what you'd be charged, so don't take it as a basis for aught.)

Artists also like to charge for rights management, if you're talking about something you intend to publish. Them selling you a sketch isn't them selling you permission to reproduce that sketch - for example.

ZoranTheBear wrote:
I'd draw Lorn myself if I even knew how to get it right. I've tried but his body proportions are always completely thrown off and it looks so bland that it isn't even worth it. It's starting to become a dream to have him drawn. Razz

Donít worry about it, almost everyone goes through that. ^_^

In my experience, a large part of learning to draw figures is just doing loads of stuff like this:

(Oldest drawing of a person I did that I can find, off hand, - from one of my old school notebooks. Took about a minute IIRC.)

And then once you've got that framework you can add detail to it as things go on.

Some peopleíll will look at that and go -- "Oh the lines are messy and you can see where the head was the wrong size and...." And they're not wrong. But what they're complaining about is much more easily fixed than if I'd drawn it in detail and then discovered that the perfect arm I'd spent ages working on was in the wrong place or something ^^;

ZoranTheBear wrote:
So, do you have a world and/or character you haven't or have realized in a shape or form?

I have a world full of characters. All screaming to be let out. ^_^

Unfortunately for them, I lost the keys in an English Lit classroom years ago.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Realizing your little world and it's characters. Reply with quote

Nem wrote:

I have a world full of characters. All screaming to be let out. ^_^

Unfortunately for them, I lost the keys in an English Lit classroom years ago.

Teehee.

I have quite a few worlds bouncing around in my head. I took a tally once and it was somewhere in the 30's. ^^;

However, I've only ever written out/fleshed out one of the worlds. That universe actually involves lots of different worlds and world-hopping. It's a fun world to play around with, but pretty lacking in originality and plot. It was the first one I ever thought up though, so it holds a certain amount of nostalgia, too. I like the cast for that universe too . . . hmm . . .

It would take me a really long time to explain it, though--I wrote out over 200 pages and I still didn't get it all. ^^;;
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: