FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Merlenyn's Arts and Crafts

Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Merlenyn's Arts and Crafts Reply with quote

So, since I've already got two threads going, I figured I'd start a third, but maybe make this a master thread of Arts and Crafts and just post everything I make!

I'm going to start off with the most recent creation of mine: a baby quilt! It's really quite cute I thought, I had full control of the colors and design due to the fact that the friend who wanted it made basically said "It's for a girl" and "They like blue". He didn't ask them what colors they were gonna use for the baby, or themes or anything like that because he wanted it to be a surprise. SO... I spent a couple hours it felt like wandering the quilting section of the fabric store hunting...

And in the end, I created this:

Here's the back:

My first attempt at binding a quilt (corner):

And the back of the binding corner:

My friend has received the quilt in the mail, and he likes it, though he didn't sound TOO enthused over it. He's not a man of fashion I say! He has yet to give the gift TO his friends... because he fails at remembering things and currently doesn't have the time to do so until Wednesday (he should've given it to them yesterday).
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing! It's so pretty, and you've chosen colors that will age well - the baby will grow up still using it, and it will never be too kitchy. Well done, and beautiful! ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's a decent size too for a baby/young child... it's about... 40 inches? It's not quite square though, even though it was supposed to be according to the pattern I was following. lol Oh well, I love it anyway and was actually sad to see it go because it turned out so wonderfully! It's technically my FIRST quilt too... Other than the quilt top I made in class, which I have yet to actually quilt. It's just a fancy patchwork of fabric with no batting or backing...
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really admire textile artists like yourself. It's a TON of work, difficult to perfect, and artistry needs to balance with practicality. Even a blanket isn't a flat canvas, and you've done a terrific job!
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in awe of your mad needlework skillz. Considering I tried to make a simple alteration to a tunic and my Mum took it off me in disgust and redid it herself I think it's safe to say my domestic skills are lacking in that area. Buttons I'm good with. Anything more complex and like as not I'll sew it to itself.
The colours are beautiful *wistful sigh* I wish I could make pretty things like that.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! <3 It's things like this that I wish I could sell... If I had the money, I'd so make up several mini quilts (or maybe a larger one or two?) and see if anyone wanted to buy them... So long as they were willing to pay cost of materials plus labor. lol I know my friend cringed slightly when I told him how much I spent on the fabric (which really wasn't much, but he's not a crafter so he has NO idea how much fabric can cost sometimes... I did my best to keep costs DOWN too).

btw, I'm open for commissions... lol That little quilt (about 40inches squareish) took me... only a couple days really once I got the fabric. I start school in about a week and a half though so it'll take a little longer, but I don't think by much.
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm still trying to figure out how I want to run this thread, since I don't really want to have a million threads with all the different things I do... For now I'll hope that doubleposting isn't a sin in my own thread here, cause I want to post another picture of something else I've just made!

Kanzashi! Well, modern style Kanzashi... but still Kanzashi!

Kanzashi is a Japanese art form, very old, and very traditional - Geisha's wear various forms of Kanzashi as hair ornaments... There are actually several kinds of Kanzashi, but this is probably the most popular or well-known... at least, it's the only one I really know, thanks to the book I found for making these. The super old, traditional, and "REAL" Kanzashi method though is much more complicated I think than what I'm learning, as well as more elaborate if one looks at the pictures... But because I wish to respect the art and NOT be a crazy copycat and pass off my work as real tradional Kanzashi, I'll stick with my somewhat lesser method, and just have fun with it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanzashi

Again, I'd like to eventually sell things... these flowers are going to adorn hairclips and such, except for the two white-ish ones, which will adorn a purse made with matching fabrics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: