FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Today: Problematic But Shiny Reply with quote

Firefly reference? Yes? No? Anyway.

Today (yesterday) I found out I've lost 40lbs in the last 6 months. That's a good thing, mind. I've always been a bit overweight, though I've also always had a great deal of muscle mass. I know my strength has actually picked up in the past six months, so that I've lost the weight means that it's probably at least somewhat fat. This also explains why I've been so cold the past six months. XD I'm not used to NOT having a warm layer of blubber.

Today a friend I've had for a long time started to come around to the idea that "the thug life" really wasn't much of a life at all. Instead of thinking about how he can increase his wealth and purchase more status symbols, he's considering how to adjust his life so that it's more attractive to a woman. He's also considering if he's a good role model for children.

I'm very, very happy that this is the case. We had drifted apart in the past year because I wanted nothing to do with that "thug life" image. I had moved on, but also in many ways moved back to what I knew I liked from childhood. You know, Oatmeal Creme Pies ARE super delicious, and sometimes making a snow angel IS the most awesome thing. Walking barefoot IS an amazing feeling. Truth told? I don't care what anyone thinks of me for loving life. And that's a happy lesson to learn, and I think he's coming around to it. Very pleased.

Instead of the all day drinking binge his birthday has been the past few years, we're planning to get snacks and drinks (soda and water), and going on a gaming binge. Like we used to do in high school. Smile

Yesterday I had the strangest dream about a girl I used to have Bio lab with. I always found her incredibly charming, not specifically because of her looks (though she was what most would consider 'hot'), but because she had a very genuinely kind personality. Today she complimented me on my Facebook status. She's still kind of cute.. >_>

Went to see the doctor yesterday. After spending an hour checking out my vitals and junk, he gave me some medications and follow-up work. I think I'm more scared of the follow-up work than I am of the original problems. I mean, goodness, a cardiologist? I know heart problems run in the family, and I've had significant trouble with my heart in the past (I was overusing caffeine and earned a heart murmur which has since gone away again). It's just... heart problems? I'm 24. -_-;

Today I'm working on writing three apology letters. Letters to people from my distant past, when I was pretty much a horrible jerk. After batting the idea back and forth for six months, I talked it out with a friend of mine. She convinced me that it was possible to find closure, but confirmed my idea that it was likely not possible to find friendship there again. I'm okay with that. I just need to apologize for being who I was, because it's not who I am. And, to quote a Reliant K song, "Who I am hates who I've been."

Much to do. Work in half an hour, until almost midnight. Must also clean soooo much of the house. >_<

Off I go. Happy Veteran's Day, all you Americans out there.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I talked to my parents about the issues with the youth group. They were surprisingly supportive. Maybe this can be fixed--or at least made so it's not any worse.

Today I start a cross-stitch project. I feel like such a dork.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I made an anti-powercut thingy. Get yourself an old UPS – 1.5KVA or so - you can get them for about forty bucks inc postage because companies throw them out every five years or so when the guarantee on the batteries expires. Get a few car batteries, pop the front panel off and wire them in parallel. Make sure to cut the wires on the battery side when you take the old one out.

I can run my desktop computer and some lights for days. ^_^

Today I took the stuff off my bed and slept in the living room. The wind on the other side of the flat was keeping me awake.

Today I skipped the lecture again. Soul destroying that work is. We were supposed to spend two hours talking about how someone had used the concept of generation – we agreed within the first ten minutes that they didn't have a coherent concept of what a generation was – at the end of the first hour we got a break and I decided that was enough.

The only reason to turn up is to get your name on the attendance sheet so you're not refused a class certificate.

Today I intended to put my nose to the grind stone and finish off one of my essays. Gneh. <_< This was four hours or so ago – it's past midnight now. I started writing a bit of it, then thought of a Machiavelli quote, that goes something like, 'many see what you appear to be, few feel what you really are – and those few will not dare oppose themselves to the many,' this led to reading the Discourses on Livy.

>_<

Machiavelli gets a bad rap over The Prince. If you take The Prince in the context of his other works his theoretical ruler isn't exactly a bad person – they're just very pragmatic....
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is the justification for any bad person. Pragmatism, efficiency... these are slippery equalizing terms.

Actually, my day today was also problematic but shiny. A good way to describe things, thank you Usa. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She who will not wilfully choose the lesser evil will be obliged – whether she wills it or not - to allow or commit the greater evil. Sometimes the greater evil compels us to choose. This urge to think of themselves as good that people have is perhaps rather selfish. Thousands might die that I could sleep at night never having committed the lesser evil. Who then has to shoulder the weight of those sins; of the appeal for a miracle to absolve them of the forbearance of conscience? :/

Today I have got some of my essay done writed anyway. Got a decent couple of hours work in before I went and looked up quotes from evil people and ended up watching the Nuremberg trials. Well excerpts from anyway ^_^;
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had a double-length D&D session, and it was nifty. My warforged wizard now has a Baterang. ^_^;
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I gave a talk about how nifty my uni is and got shown around the new building specifically for students. This building is definitely problematic but shiny. The ceiling has fallen in twice in two days and it's meant to be finished in a week.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alli: That does sound problematic. O_O

Today I hung out with my friend from Psychology before class. We discovered that we have similar taste in old movies, and so, we've scheduled a day to watch Audrey Hepburn movies. We might have another one for old-fashioned comedies (Jimmy Stewart, Charlie Chaplain, and Bob Hope & Bing Crosby). ^_____^

Today I stitch more on the pattern I made. Whee! Creativity is fun!
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am happy that I am single, without a mortgage, no real debts and have been employed for a long time with the same retail outlet.

Ireland’s debt is 32% of our GNP. This is what happens when you are greedy as a country for 15 or so years.

The future looks like the I.M.F.

I will be fine. There is going to be an awful lot of hardships ahead for a large number of people.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. Though I do have a moderately substantial sum of student debt. Thankfully the interest is extremely low, and I've got a good job that I like.
Tyris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd paid off our student debt in full... then they decided to charge us interest on the nothing and it's back up to several hundred pounds.

This did not make for happiness. Or even coherency.

Eventually we decided not to mail them a bomb along with the overpayment.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to an open house at a college I've been eying. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I don't need to look anywhere else, now. They've got great academics, a lot of fun extracurriculars, and wonderful, quirky people. Felt like home. They also have a nature preserve on campus--which gets huge bonus points from me (though it's not actually important). I'm a bit in love with the place.

I also met the advisor for English majors, and from a first impression, he was pretty cool. Really easy to talk to, funny, and pretty brutally honest--all the qualities someone I have to be in contact with needs.

Today I write application essays, a proposal to my church's elder board, and a history essay.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the today thread reminded me of this
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1400/fv01364.htm

^_^

Shiny.

Today I'm trying really hard to make something occupy more than a page. Its got to the point of going 'If, for the sake of a favourable reading, we grant that....' just after the bit where you've pointed out that .... is impossible. ^_~

Today I slept for twelve hours, drank two cups of coffee and now have a sort of nervous energy. Lots of pacing up and down.
- Issa
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm off to the Santa Claus Parade, which is ridiculously early if you ask me. But it's either go today or not go at all, so... for the sake of Charlie, I'm going. BAH. Humbug.

(I love Christmas, I just don't love OMGITSCHRISTMASALLYEEEEEEEAR!)

I'm going to try to post more in here. I miss you guys.

Also, this webcomic makes me think of Nem (PG-13, fyi)
http://www.dead-philosophers.com/
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We miss you too, Lady. Have fun at your parade.

Today I have two of three things done. Somehow, I don't think my history essay is going to get written any time soon.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: