FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was productive! In that I finished things. Maybe because I left all Internet related items at home...

Today I:
Turned in my availability for work.
Discovered I have two weeks to study for two finals, write a fifteen page research proposal, finish the final draft of a term twenty-page term paper, and finish the backlog of Hebrew essays.
Put all this on a calendar which I printed out and will fill in with a study schedule.
Wrote my last assignment for my religions class (time to start actually studying and catching up on readings).
Printed out the readings for my Greek culture class.

May not seem like much, but it really is, compared to what I can normally accomplish in a day.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today North Korea has fired on the South.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005

Quote:

South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells at one of its border islands, reportedly killing one marine.

The South's military was placed on its highest non-wartime alert after the shells landed on Yeonpyeong island.

North Korea has not yet commented on the incident, in which three marines and two civilians were also injured.

Analysts say this is one of the most serious clashes since the Korean War ended without a peace treaty in 1953.

There have been occasional cross-border clashes since, but the latest incident comes at a time of rising regional tension.

YonhapNews is reporting that the North Korean military command has vowed "merciless" strikes against the South.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2010/11/23/0200000000AEN20101123011600315.HTML

That one's just a link to the YN's headline.

H'interesting.... ^_^

Today I've effectively finished my second essay ^_^
- Issa
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells at one of its border islands, reportedly killing one marine.

Wow, they shoot even more terribly than our Orks.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow I begin volunteering at the museum. I really should have done more than glance at the sheet of information on the coins I'll handling but oh well. I'm pretty sure I can manage.

...There are going to be some misinformed children leaving the museum tomorrow.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short order you'll know everything about those coins by heart.

And I sincerely hope the North Korean situation doesn't escalate, but my guess is that Kim Jong Il felt the need to rattle sabers, possibly as a reaction to the recent U.S. - South Korean trade talks (even though they fell through). In the realm of international politics, North Korea is pretty much like the guy in your high school class who was in the habit of doing stupid, insane, and/or violent things just to get attention.

Today I ... uhh ... I'm pretty sure I did something today. Remind me to have my attache take notes on everything I do.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK's probably just showing off how much they can get away with. I don't think it a coincidence that it comes so shortly after they revealed their uranium enrichment facility.

Today I realised: You're meant to put the references at the top of a literature review in that department. That's going to be like the first three pages. <_<

Today I slept from around 18:00 the night before until 04:30 ish. I'm up in the morning - I may even see daylight that wasn't the product of it being late the previous night. >_>

Yesterday's lecture was really just... She read her powerpoint stack incredibly slowly and still had to leave the classroom to go and look up what Bertrand Russell's teapot was. We're philosophy students! We know what it is! I wanted to grab her and scream 'I CAN READ!' Looking over the other guy besides me's notes I noticed he'd written 'kill me' over and over again.

With any luck there's only three weeks of formal academic teaching left in my life. Roll on Christmas.

Heh:
http://dilbert.com/fast/2010-02-22/
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit: You'll get the hang of it in no time! Good luck!

Nem wrote:
Looking over the other guy besides me's notes I noticed he'd written 'kill me' over and over again.

Ha, that happened once in my Developmental Psych class; except it was an ill-informed and stubborn classmate going on about something pointless, and the girl next to me was writing Mark Twain quotes. -______-

Today photography was remarkably productive. I developed film, and managed to make all the prints needed to complete a project.

Unfortunately, when I got home, I was not quite so productive while working on my English paper. Blah. I dislike writing essays from a fixed prompt.

Tomorrow (actually, that's today, now) the family starts rolling in for Thanksgiving. ^_________^
Allicat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:

Nem wrote:
Looking over the other guy besides me's notes I noticed he'd written 'kill me' over and over again.

Ha, that happened once in my Developmental Psych class; except it was an ill-informed and stubborn classmate going on about something pointless, and the girl next to me was writing Mark Twain quotes. -______-

Both of these happen with alarming regularity in my uni. I tend to deal with it by writing what I'd like to say in the midst of my notes or writing out song lyrics I'm trying to memorise.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The museum went well. We didn't have a lot of people visit the table today but it was 11am, I'm back in at 2pm tomorrow so it might be busier.

We didn't get any difficult questions, the hardest one was when someone asked what the oldest coin on the table was and that was easy enough to answer once we'd consulted our 'cheat sheet'.

Today I had a riding lesson, the first one in a couple of weeks. It went well, we cantered as a ride and I've never done that before, usually everyone trots or walks while one person canters.

And I was on Rose. Who is lovely. ^ ^
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my mom told me that since school funding is so low, she might lose her job. This also means that I might not be able to go to college unless I can get some really good scholarships.
Tyris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat wrote:
Tinu. wrote:

Nem wrote:

Both of these happen with alarming regularity in my uni. I tend to deal with it by writing what I'd like to say in the midst of my notes or writing out song lyrics I'm trying to memorise.

We took a writing pad along to sessions at the remedial employment centre. It quickly filled with such phrases as "heresy grows from idleness," "the Emperor protects" and "doubt is the open gate through which slips the most fatal of enemies."

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs Tinu* I'm sorru Nu, I hope it works out alright.
Allicat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu. wrote:
Today my mom told me that since school funding is so low, she might lose her job. This also means that I might not be able to go to college unless I can get some really good scholarships.

Oh Nu, that sucks Sad I hope a) your Mom keeps her job and/or b) you can get some scholarships. You're smart, you'll do it! Thinking of you.

Today I pack to go hoooooooome! Whee! Mum's doing well. She's still not 100% but she's a quick healer so it won't be long before she's up and about.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday submitted the essay of evil. Went out to dinner with a friend, walked around town trying to find a cheese shop then spent the rest of the day watching films.

It was snowing while we were at lunch, quite pretty outside the windows.

Coincidentally friend is really unfit. We were only walking for a couple of hours and you could hear his breath starting to hitch. XD

Neh. Also always thought I was much taller than him. Turns out if I am it's not by much.

Today I have nothing to do until four o'clock in the afternoon.

Today there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Don't want to go out, only own trainers. Shoes hurt my ankles if I walk in them too long. <_<

Can see my breath misting inside the flat.

Still, almost out of food. No bread, no pasta. Got some mince left, few peppers, couple of sausages. No eggs, no oats. Need to go buy some more electricity.

Neh - tired. Sleepyness -_- zZ

Tyris wrote:
Allicat wrote:
Tinu. wrote:

Nem wrote:

We took a writing pad along to sessions at the remedial employment centre. It quickly filled with such phrases as "heresy grows from idleness," "the Emperor protects" and "doubt is the open gate through which slips the most fatal of enemies."

"Only the awkward question; only the foolish ask twice."
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tinu: *hugs* I hope your mom can keep her job. I hope you can ALSO get scholarships, because you're awesome and you deserve them. My thoughts are with you.

@Britland: A museum job, eh? That sounds vaguely ironic to me, in fact. *grin*. It also sounds totally cool!

Today (or last night, really) after getting only two hours sleep in two days, I had to call off work. I wasn't able to drag myself out of bed just to get ready for work, let alone restock the store on one of the busiest nights of the year. I feel bad, but I requested this day off (and several others) months ago. I managed to pull through two other times, but this time was just too much. They didn't even consider transferring my schedule requests over to the next department I work in, and I've tried to accommodate that mistake. Last night I couldn't. Come what may, I tried. I'm not going to push myself into another seizure just because they can't say two sentences to someone in another department.

This is Tenshi, feeling very little guilt.

Today is Thanksgiving here in the states. I have my son with me this year. I fully intend to spend the day with him, at least until I have to sleep for work. Kind of funny, after sleeping through my shift last night I woke up when I had been waking up on my daytime schedule. XD

Happy Thanksgiving, all you US people! And for those elsewhere in the world, know that I'm thankful to know you. You've all given me such a wonderful community here, one I don't know I could have done well without.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 4 of 100

Jump to: