FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Problematic But Shiny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your gran, Tinman. :/

Hope it's a nice nursing home at least - or they let her have a laptop or something so she's not stuck in front of the TV.

#

Today installing Python.

Just opened the help files. They're obviously written for people who already program Wink Can picture some poor sod opening this and going @_@

Possibly also followed by the statement that computers aren't their thing.

I must admit though

Code:
a,b = 0,1
while b < 100:
   print b,
   a,b = b, a+b

Which should give you - well does give you.

'1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89'

Is a lot simpler than going. Gosh, how would it go?

Code:
include <stdio.h>

int a=0;
int b=1;

main()
{

while (b<100)
   {

printf("b");
      a=b ;
      b=a+b;

}

return 0;

}

Well, something like that anyway. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't run. Doubtless missing a ; somewhere, and even if it did it'd just print "b" since I forget the special characters to do that.... But, regardless, it'd look something like that. And it'd come back to me. <_<

Though, admittedly, the latter is much easier to read. Probably just because that's the sort of structure I learnt waaayyyy back when we were playing around with that though.

They say you don't have to explicitly declare your variables either - but you can't use them unless you've defined them as being something anyway. Six of one half a dozen of the other....

Still, I think I could get used to this. Now then, where's that reference book the size of a Braille-edition bible?

Edit: Hey, I think I might have just found why so many websites use a tiny slither of your screen:

Quote:
'The ideal line length for text layout is based on the physiology of the human eye… At normal reading distance the arc of the visual field is only a few inches – about the width of a well-designed column of text, or about 12 words per line. Research shows that reading slows and retention rates fall as line length begins to exceed the ideal width, because the reader then needs to use the muscles of the eye and neck to track from the end of one line to the beginning of the next line. If the eye must traverse great distances on the page, the reader is easily lost and must hunt for the beginning of the next line. Quantitative studies show that moderate line lengths significantly increase the legibility of text.'

Web Style Guide – Basic Design Principles for Creating Website
Patrick J. Lynch and Sarah Horton
2nd edition, page 97.

Well, you know, that or lazy writers I suppose. =p

Don't know whether I've seen that quote before but....

Wonder why they don't just wrap it around in columns then... like a newspaper. :/
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you can't guarantee the screen size of each user - if it's in columns, would you make the reader scroll to the bottom and all the way back to the top, or somehow arbitrarily choose a scroll height for your columns? Big headache, I'd think.

Re: food. Continuing to throw up after half my meals, but I feel better. Just goes to show, feelings are chancy. My medical student roommate suggests not actually eating meals, but sticking to small doses of carbs until that stays down. What I wouldn't give for saltines, I haven't seen those here at all. Funnily enough, through all of this obvious undernourishment, I haven't actually lost any weight. I honestly don't know why.

Still not getting anything - and I mean anything - done. *sigh* I finally picked up the package my parents sent with someone visiting the country a couple weeks ago, and I got a couple new musicals! 1776 and Gigi. So instead of coding transcripts, I'm going to watch 1776! And then this evening I'm going to auditions for the university play. Haven't decided if I can really afford to do it or not, but, whatever. It's set in the late 1800s, which means cool dresses for costumes, which means I want to do it. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I close out this Today thread, and start up a new one.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100

Jump to: