FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Computer Checks (time sensitive)

Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Computer Checks (time sensitive) Reply with quote

My mother is offering to take my computer in to work to get it looked over and fixed, and wants me to make a detailed list of everything that needs to be done on it. Trouble is, I can only think of one, plus a general virus scan.

List of things to fix...
    The printer spooler isn't working
    General virus scan

Does anyone have suggestions for things to have done or looked at on my computer? It's a Dell Vostro 1510, bought in 2008, running Windows 7 Ultimate. And she wants it tomorrow, so if you have suggestions today... that would be nice.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there's something you've noticed is wrong, there really isn't much general maintenance to be done on a computer except:

Virus scans, but you really, really should have an antivirus scanner installed that should be doing those automatically on a regular basis anyway.

And pretty importantly: Dusting. Dusting out the inside of the computer with a compressed air can (not with a duster or with your mouth), can really lengthen the life of the hardware to keep the heat down. Really should be done about once a year, but at a minimum once every 2, unless its in a very clean environment all the time (unlikely). Anyone can really do it too, as you don't actually touch anything except for opening the case up and blowing out all the dust Smile Even if you don't clean the inside of a computer, keeping the vents that you can see on the outside clear of dust will decrease the chance of hardware failure and even make your computer run faster (since modern computers usually automatically slow down when they start overheating).

But really, computers aren't a maintenancy thing. Used to be a reinstall of windows occasionally was a necessity, but luckily that's mostly better now as long as you keep unused/malware programs uninstalled Smile
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find it helpful to defragment the hard drive once in a while.

I also have SMART enabled (tests hard disks for signs of upcoming failure when you turn the computer on). I just use the BIOS tests, but that's a bit finicky. If you'd like to run a SMART test from Windows, try HDtune. Shareware, but with a free trial. Take a look at the "health" tab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: