FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Venting Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs*

Please, find a new doctor. Go through a referral line, or through someone you know, and do a lot of research on each potential choice.

I've never had to deal with dry cleaners before, but I think you've already stated the obvious: there's no way they'll be able to make up for it.
I'd say take the sweater with you, and the receipt, and have a clear idea of what, exactly, you want them to do. A refund is a really simple way to start--and will probably be the easiest thing to get. You could also try to see if they would foot the bill for repairs

And who knows, they might have found the buttons lying around and have them stashed somewhere.

If you want the sweater fixed you might be able to get a tailor to do it. If one of the cuffs is already gone, would it be possible to use the other cuff to try and re-create the buttons?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it won't work. They cut off the unraveled yarn, and the buttons broke off, not just came unsewn. And I don't have the receipt anymore, either.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
DragonOfSapphire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you guys don't know me too well yet but I just need someplace to vent and this was the first place that came to mind.

I'm in a tight situation, I have no job, in bad heath and a lot of debt.

Every now and then I come across a person who thinks that it's easy to get a job and that every homeless person is just being lazy (not that I'm homeless yet) and I just want to at least find a logic hammer and beat their skulls with it.

We have the lowest job market in 30 years, the worst minimum wage since the depression and the highest cost for education that ever existed.

I know people who are working as hard as they can and they don't even have homes. I know people who have awesome educations and they are being passed over for high school dropouts because they haven't been able to shower or groom themselves in weeks. I personally know how it gets harder and harder to look for work when your sick, can't buy food for yourself and week after week then month after month and you're watching yourself waste away into skin and bones.

I have a condition that makes me easily sick and causes nerve damage to my legs, it's reversible (the nerve part) but I need to walk and such. For the past few months I haven't been able to afford food for myself and someone kept placing my food stamps under the wrong account. So I've been unable to keep my energy up, in short less walking around. The problem with my food stamps was finally fixed but it went on for so long that now I require a walker, if it went on any longer the damage could have become irreversible. I can recover but with where I live, job providers are not really known for hiring disabled people, and the few that are tend to exploit the disabled.

Just once, ONCE, I would like to see one of these dumb@$$3$ that think getting a decent job is easy go though what I've gone though and so many others I know just to shut them up.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, then! It doesn't matter how long you've been here, you are always welcome to vent. =)

*hugs* My thoughts and prayers are with you. The job market is absolutely awful, and I know a lot of people in similar situations. I've found that a lot of people who like to nag about jobs are ones that grew up in the post-war economy (which was, I believe, one of the best economies we've had). The world's changed a lot since then, and it's frustrating that they don't realize things don't work the same way they used to.

Are there any local non-profits or employment agencies that you could talk to who would be willing to help you out? (If you've already exhausted that option, I'm sorry for suggesting it--you might have heard it a lot).

As far as employers who take advantage of disabled workers. Is there a local paper you can get in touch with about that? I'm asking because the paper in my area has covered similar stories, and it can change the situation for the better--because that is definitely illegal and an abuse of authority.

*hugs*
Keep in touch, please, and let us know how your job hunt is going. And feel free to vent here any time you need to.
Allicat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough situation to be in and one I'm facing too, albeit less serious than yours sounds. Sickness, no job and massive debt I can empathise with, but I'm very lucky in that I have the support of my folks. I'm also still in full time education, so the debt collectors aren't knocking just yet. Are you in the US or elsewhere? I don't know what healthcare system you're up against, but that might not be helping.

Just know that you can always come here to vent and we'll offer any help and advice we can.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
DragonOfSapphire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Overall, I'm doing better since my food stamps situation has been fixed, I've gained 35 pounds since my last doctors visit and that's a big deal for me (since I've been a sick figure my whole life) I've got color returning to my face (Yay, I don't look like a zombie) and I'm becoming more active again.

I've just qualified for SSI so I'm able to pay off my debts and my share of rent. (Good bye hospital bills! d^__^b)

I'm still having trouble finding a job though, it's hard finding one I'm capable of doing, it's especially hard since I haven't had one on a LONG while. If anyone has any ideas of what kind of work I can do that can help keep me active while at least holding on to a cane in one hand I'll be grateful.

Life isn't ideal at the moment, but at least it's a huge leap from where I was a little while ago. My only complaint is one of my room mates is moving out soon so the rent is going to get heavier on me for a bit.

Tinu. wrote:
Are there any local non-profits or employment agencies that you could talk to who would be willing to help you out? (If you've already exhausted that option, I'm sorry for suggesting it--you might have heard it a lot).

As far as employers who take advantage of disabled workers. Is there a local paper you can get in touch with about that? I'm asking because the paper in my area has covered similar stories, and it can change the situation for the better--because that is definitely illegal and an abuse of authority.

The non-profits tend to be the agencies that exploit people. I've been to Good Will and Arc, it varies from store to store but the disabled (especially the mentally disabled) are paid less than minimum because of it. It's been brought up to the news a few times but the news stations either don't think it's a big enough story or they are too far to the right to empathise.

I don't quite have all the articles because some of this is personal experience but I'll try and list some examples later.

I have joined some agencies that are willing to help for free, but so far I've gotten nothing in the way of a job (not for any lack of effort though)

Also, I hope things get better for you Allicat. I live in the states but out of paranoia I don't really like to say more than that. I'm working with someone to get Obamacare, so I should be covered soon.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad things are looking up for you a bit! Anything is better than nothing, right? Have you thought of getting a job with one of the non-profits? Even if it doesn't pay it's something to keep you busy and will look better to employers. You might even be able to affect some change.

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: