FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Nu's Photos

Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Nu's Photos Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've noticed that there are a lot of really talented photographers here, and I was wondering if you guys would be willing to critique my own pictures. I'm always looking for some thoughtful, hard critique, because I really want to get better as a photographer.

If you're willing, you can check out my DA, which is Tinuviels-song. Thanks in advance if you decide to offer your opinion. =)

A few pictures from my gallery:
Bug
Dance recital
Concert
Butterfly
Horse
Birds
Waterfall
A Cliff
A really awesome tree
Butterfly
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very, very good, Mrs! Insane. Beautiful. I could hope for some better framing in some of them - Horse and Birds come to mind, particularly, but the rest of them were perfect and embody the concept I was aiming for in some of my own pictures, which I didn't quite capture.

Thank you for sharing.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! =^^=

Well, I could hope for better framing too--especially on the ones involving things that move. Because that's the problem, they move. There are some pretty funny stories about me trying to get pictures of critters.
I would have liked better framing (and better zoom) on the birds picture, but that one was taken leaning out of a car in the middle of traffic. >>;
I'm always trying to get them to look they way they do in my head, and that rarely happens.

Sometimes I think that's a matter of chance, but I'm still hoping to get there through practice.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they're what I see in MY head, so I'm satisfied.

I've found that keeping my camera on a slightly larger zoom helps - sort of like the extra material on book pages before they shave them, it gives some margin for error. If your compression is large enough, cropping won't significantly affect the picture quality. Just don't make your margin, you know, half the frame or anything. And I generally like a margin around my pictures anyway, as part of the composition of the piece.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, you know, I never actually thought about doing that. Until really recently, all I had was a little "pocket" digital camera that had terrible zoom and poor compression and picture quality. So taking it on a larger zoom wouldn't have worked at all. A year or so ago I got a nicer, though older, camera off of amazon, and I still haven't entirely figured out how to use it. ^^;
I'll have to try that now, though. Thanks for the advice! ^_^

I used to use a lot of margin/matte, but I don't really like them very much unless it's on a print, in a picture frame.
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant as part of the shot. Like if your subject is a tree, don't have the tree go from edge to edge, but give it some 'room to breathe' with sky and grass on all sides. That way you can fiddle with the composition as well, if there are slight changes in proportion you want to do.

Also: bear in mind that digital cameras have a wierd ratio as their default setting, which most photo print place can't handle. I keep my camera set on 4x6 a) because that's what Snapfish gives free prints in, and b) because the proportion gives more of a sense of motion simply by being longer than it is tall. It draws the eye from one side of the frame to the other (or top to bottom), and makes the pictures more dynamic just by existing. If they aren't already, try cropping your pictures to 4x6 and see what happens. (And you don't need to keep it centered, though if your picture is composed correctly, that's where it'll be anyway.)

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, ok, I gotcha.

Yeah, I'd noticed the weird ratio. I have absolutely no idea how to reset it though. I'm kinda technologically challenged, sometimes. ^^;
That sounds like a goo ratio though, I'll have to see about fixing that . . .

There's a place that gives free prints? Wow.
Asa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me your email and I'll send you an invite to join - it's free, and you get 20 free prints for signing up. They have other promotions and opportunities to get free prints all the time, and I get free prints if you sign up on my recommendation! ^_^

Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks! ^__^
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Arts 'n Crafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: