FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

New Archaeology RPG, Judging Interest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

In an Archaeological RPG, would you prefer Post-Apoc, WWII Era, Modern, or Sci-Fi?
WWII-Era
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Modern
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Post-Apocalypse/Modern
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Sci-Fi/Futuristic
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Archaeology RPG? Boooooring!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: New Archaeology RPG, Judging Interest Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I would like to ask a few questions, and see if anyone would be interested in an RPG!

To elaborate on the poll a bit further, I'll outline Semi-Modern (WWII) and Post-Apoc timelines a bit further. Sci-Fi and Modern are self explanatory, aren't they?

1.) Semi-modern: Set in the mid-to-late 1900's, the characters would wear slightly older clothing and be free to use fancy speech (or not) if the Player wanted. Also, weapons (where needed) would be limited to Lugers, M1911's, Burp Guns, Tommy Guns, MP40's... all of that fun, WWII-era stuff. I probably would draw some inspiration from Indiana Jones in terms of setting, but the plot would revolve primarily around all human-based villains.

2.) Post-Apoc: The world ended much the way many people predicted: with a bang. To be precise, a brilliant white light engulfed the world in an instant. It burned with the heat of a sun, if only for a moment, but did not come from mankind's hand. In fact, the earthquakes and natural disasters occurred before the blast. However, the blast wiped out most known life on Earth. Human life did not end on the third rock from the sun, though now the only survivors are the crew of the Space Shuttle Discovery, a joint Russian-Japanese space shuttle, and the crew of the International Space Station.

Either way, the primary goal of this RPG is not going to be combat. Weapons will be available, but the primary equipment will be axes and such. Mostly, I want to present a realistic world and culture so alive and detailed that it does take some thinking, and some leaps of judgment, to decipher what it is you're looking at.

I would be lying if I said it was entirely selfless, this is practice for novel writing too. Razz

So, what do you all say? I'm not planning on starting this immediately, probably not until the summer break begins in fact. Would anyone be interested in a non-violent game of exploration and discovery?

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may or may not be interested. I really have never done this before.
I guess your just going have to sell it to me between now and then.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a Sci-fi/Post Apocalyptic game. I would be especially interested if it will include Garrett Dillahunt-esque crazed survivors or zombies of some kind. Very Happy

EDIT: And I speak Japanese!
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't pretend to understand the crazy zombies but something kind of science fiction-y sounds good.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ax: Sell you on it? Alright. The main goal I have is to drive the story with the character's ability to learn and adapt. Instead of railroading in a single direction, my plan is to create more of a "large city" scale, and then let the characters prioritize and do what they wish. I'll probably have a non-essential GMPC (a guide perhaps) to help with progress, and there will also be something that inspires them to succeed quickly. I won't reveal that, not yet.

It really was inspired by WG10, if that helps.

@Rav & Nem: There will be things to shoot, if you are so inclined, but it won't be the primary focus. A strict combat character will probably be a little bit more bored than a scientist. However, a scientist with some combat experience might do well. Examples? A biologist who grew up in the Mid-West United States, who used to hunt? Maybe a chemist who grew up with a sportsman father, who shot clay pigeons.

There will be plenty of room for non-combat scientists as well, I'll just load NPC combat characters in for usefulness. After all, they can die in the name of science, heheh.

@Rav: One of the reasons I mentioned the space station scenario is actually because I want to inspire the multilingual members of the forum to join. Especially those who would be interested in the notion of discovering a lost culture, with a lost way of life and a lost language! ^_^

I'm going to do a fair bit of research for this game, to make a somewhat believable situation. Or to try to, anyway! ^^;

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe. Definitely not while school is in session.

I voted for modern before I read WWII 'fancy 'language'... I change my mind!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for whatever we do. Smile
Kaden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I've never played on a forum before but think I'd like to give it a try if there is room.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Asa: This will start probably in the summer, but definitely after school lets out. For one, I want everyone to have a bit of spare time. Two, I will need some extra time myself to make sure I have a semi-realistic world for people to explore.

@Maen: Glad to have you aboard!

@Kaden: The more the merrier. Smile Since this isn't a compellingly driven story-plot, there will be plenty of room. The only drawback to that plan is that it will take me significantly more time to set up new plots between stories. Then again, we're less likely to run out of story for quite some time. It's somewhat of an experiment, we'll have to see how it goes! Smile

Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there would be a lot of room for one-on-one background conversations between the GM and the players - I mean, it's very hard to make a scientific breakthrough when you need to wait two days between each poke to see what you've uncovered. You know?

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very likely. It's entirely possible that I'll break it down in two ways.

"Weekly Updates" would consist of major plot points, moving the whole team to a different site, or the pushes on timing that force things to happen. This would provide people some extra leeway if they were unable to post more than once a week, as their progress could be caught up based on character skill and plot needs.

"Microupdates for Characters" would be more like you mention. When a character is focused on their work, then each post by them would merit a GM post with their discoveries, either immediate or over time.

I anticipate posting for the RPG at least daily, which gives me an actual reason to be online as much as I already am. ^^;

Red Skelton
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnmm, I know very little about science. We don't have to know facts, and formulas and so on do we?
- Issa
Asa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's probably more about making up history as you see fit. If you don't know science, be a historian. or even a philosopher - WHY is it like that?

Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa is correct. While it may be handy to know that a certain combination of chemicals can dissolve certain materials, it would not be essential. I'm sure there are science-minded individuals who will want to join, and if not we can just fudge it anyway. RPGs are wonderful that way. Razz

Philosophy is a huge part of Archaeology, if you think about it. All I suggest is that you prepare to be ready to use your Philosophy outside of the normal method of analyzing the past. Not everything you face will be a thousand years dead.

Dun dun dun! ... *flees*

Red Skelton
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, I want to be Project's Psych Evaluator! I've read World War Z, I'm pretty sure I could fake it well. XD

Will we be doing this in a similar way to Bering? i.e. Tenshi lists roles, people write characters for them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: