FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Opera 10.50 beta

Nem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Opera 10.50 beta Reply with quote

So anyone else trying the 10.50 beta? I really like what they've done with the skin.

At first it was very much a case of going, 'What have they done?!' Bit of a shock compared to the awful FisherPrice theme they used to have. But this is the one release in a while now that I don't really feel any temptation to go and get a user made skin for. Used to be to free up the screen space, the last version of Opera was incredibly chunky in its default skin. This one's actually quite trim. Spent the last 20 minutes or so screwing around getting the status bar set up the way it used to be before realising the new way's actually better.

Didn't install over the top of my old version of Opera, being a beta, so having to set up notes - bookmarks etc again. Searching now much easier. Makes me wonder why they bothered with the multi-search box; everyone's just going to go to Google anyway.

Some improvements under the hood too, apparently, JavaScript is supposedly swifter - things like that. Can't say I've ever noticed it being slow before but *shrug*

Some issues scrolling pages with embedded video like youtube but I imagine those will be smoothed out for the full release.

Really smooth package this time round. Give it a go, if interested of course:
Opera 10.50 beta
- Issa
Tamir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cuddles his firefox protectively*
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it yet -- I don't usually run beta browsers unless there is some compelling feature I want to try out. I do keep a wide selection of browsers installed (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, IE, a few more obscure ones) for testing purposes.
Nem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More obscure? XD

Synced the bookmarks and everything over from my other instances of the browser; my netbook and the earlier version of this. The embedded video problem went away after a reboot.

On the privacy front I'm actually trying out the password manager this time around. I've always felt kind of iffy about using them before - after all it's just a .dat file somewhere on your HD. But at the same time if your computer has been compromised that far I assume a keyloger is just as likely.

Just have to remember to write my passwords down somewhere and encrypt the file. They could improve the wand password manager a bit - allow you to retrieve passwords into plain text if you have the master password, store the passwords and the site association so if a form become disassociated you can alter the password's associations.

With a few touches here and there it could actually become practical to use decent passwords O_o

The integration with the mouse gestures is a nice touch. Come across a password form and just press the right mouse button and flick over to the right to tell it to fill the bits in and load the next page. Quite impressive.

Kind of as an aside I now quite like the idea of having a USB key with strong passwords and a program that does that sort of thing on a plug and play basis really. Something you carry around that's physical so you don't end up leaving your passwords on the work's machine. Make it encrypted obviously, use your fingerprint to authorise it when you plug it into a machine so that it doesn't matter if you lose it. It'd have to be cloneable too, people lose far too much stuff - obviously you'd need the fingerprint to do that so that people couldn’t just run off with your passwords.

Tamir wrote:
*cuddles his firefox protectively*

Firefox is good; I like the idea of the addons. But that’s also its problem I think – it just doesn’t hang together particularly well. Got it set up to work like Opera once, sidebar and mouse gestures and notes and so on, took a lot of messing about to make it something that already exists. Wink

Opera's problem on the other hand is while it's very useable it's something you have to learn. My father sat down at my computer a few months back - and I do pretty much all my browsing with the mouse gestures and the side bar - a lot of the other stuff is packed away to save screen space. Ten minutes later he'd downloaded a copy of firefox. =p

I think it's always going to be an excellent niche browser - at least for as long as it's around, so maybe not always; and the new features are really nice; but I'm not sure how it can seduce people who don't want to invest a half hour or so to get to know it.
- Issa
Lani

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox forever!

*scuttles away and hides*

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this about ''mouse gestures''?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold down the right mouse button and make a gesture with the mouse to perform a specific command.

| (straight down)
opens a new tab.

L
closes a tab

-> moves you forward / logs you in if there's a login page and you've stored the password

<- moves you back

Things like that. You can customise what they do too. Takes some getting used to but it really is an incredibly natural way to browse since the commands require very little hand movement to execute - they are in effect always under your mouse.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the mouse gestures a few times, it's actually kind of handy once you get used to it.

I'm a fan of Firefox, myself. I tried out a bunch of other browsers back when I switched from IE, but Firefox is what stuck with me.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tyris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrug*
That's why we have a five-button, tilt-wheel mouse.

And right-click-and-drag is for moving-with-menus. So... no draw.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee never really cared for Opera...The feature bloat is...ugh. Squee switched to Chrome a couple months back from Firefox, because Squee realized that Squee wasn't using any addons for day-to-day browing, and Chrome is by far the simplest of the browsers. All those other features, Squee just doesn't need much Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: