FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Rise of The Machines Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I still can't whistle right. The tooth cleaning on Thursday seems to have changed how air flows in my mouth; and now some of the notes that I used to hit effortlessly either come out sour and off key, or else emerge as nothing but an unmelodic puff of air. Perhaps it seems a small thing, but I've been whistling since I was seven. I've worked hard at it for more than two decades, and I find it greatly distressing to lose one of my signature abilities. Hopefully it will return in time.

Today only 3 of 5 players showed up at the pen-and-paper D&D game. The DM declared that insufficient and we played a card game instead. I'm rather annoyed with this group -- since I joined up in August, the games have been canceled about 2 times out of 3, and even when we actually manage to play, the game invariably starts late. Really late. Like, show up at 6 PM and the game doesn't START till 9 or 9:30. I would probably just give up on them if my brother weren't one of the other players. If it goes on like this I may give up on them anyway.

So today I'm feeling grumpy, and will go to bed. I need the rest anyway, I'm leaving for Santa Fe on Sunday.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my parents and I disagree. I want to go to an acquaintance's birthday party. Unfortunately, she lives a ways away, and my mom is not happy with the distance or the fact that they've never been introduced. I've been invited to the girl's house numerous times, and my mom always put her foot down. I never got the chance to invite her over to my house either. This argument has been going on for two years, and really, my mom's main objection comes down to the fact that the girl's mom is Wiccan. I was invited to a Halloween party there once, and her main objection was that I "might be asked to participate in rituals." As if I wasn't 18 at the time and didn't know my own mind about religion or have the common sense and judgement to politely excuse myself if things got too uncomfortable. Today her excuse is that she's uncomfortable with me driving there because I've never been to her house before. How can I, if she won't let me?
It's ridiculous! I'm going to be twenty in eight or nine months! When are my parents going to learn to trust my decisions and my judgement of character?

Today I apologize for the rant, I'm just annoyed. ><

Today I am no longer exempt from my Biology exam.

Today I cooked for the second time this week. This is getting to be habit.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it snowed! All day! And it stuck on cold things like grass and leaves and wood and cars. Not the ground, that's still too warm, but it's quite cold.

Which gave me a chance to test the new hat and coat we bought on Thursday, and they were very warm indeed. ^_^

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll forgive Nem for giving potentially incredibly pompous / irrelevant advice then read on. If not then probably better not to ^_~

-----

What do you want out of the situation and how much do you need the people involved, 'Nu? If it's not going to completely mess your life up, or you don't need your parents to provide for you that much then go anyway.. They'll be angry in the short term but you're going to be twenty years old soon; and when you're twenty you'll be thinking you're going to be twenty one soon; and I know people for who that pattern has repeated well into their thirties.

'My husband/parents won't let me...'

There's some moron with a kid in my ethics class who's still working off the basis of what her owner will let her do - and I rather think she'll be doing it until she'd dead, or he is.

It can repeat for an eternity; until you gain the resources to turn sentiment into action or the will to turn resources into sentiment.

The only way someone will ever trust your judgement is when you show you have enough faith in it to trust if over their judgement; when you do it and it doesn't blow up in your face. The times when it's not just intellectual imperialism on their part covered in a moral illusion of care that is.

If you don't really need them, if you don't think they're gonna cast you out onto the street for it; then don't ask for permission, just say you're going to go - preferably when you're heading out the door so they don't get a chance to object.

Of course it might all blow up in your face, which is why there's the condition of not potentially getting turfed out onto the street - I don't know your parents or anything.

Or if you're not particularly bothered about the trust thing lie; that's what Nem does when he needs someone but thinks they're being non-negotiable thick, quite useful - lying that is. Get to put yourself up as the height of righteousness while rolling around in their moral gutter without their notice.

I certainly think you should at least go to her house; even if you don't go to the party. Why ask permission, why even tell your parents that you're going to do that?

Obviously the above is all subject to how much you really need to keep your parents viewing you as their thing that they own/control. How you feel about things. Nem's just giving his view. He should probably shut up about now since it's not his business ^__^;

-----

Today Nem's sorry if he's offended anyone; totally not his intention. Cookies?

Today is just today, no particular highs, no particular lows. Knowledge that I should get to sorting some things out, no particular will to do anything other than resonate to the tunes of others.

Edit:

Snow!!!! Lucky! ^__^

My father always seemed grumpy about snow because it made getting into work difficult. I never quite understood his objection until I needed to travel up and down the country every so often. Wouldn't want my plane home to get grounded on account of snow <_<
- Issa
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today: 13 hour work day.

Today: Blizzard.

Today: Sound of holidays= Christmas songs and sirens.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem: Thanks for the advice, it's something to chew on, really.
I've thought about just going anyways. But, even though I'm not happy with the decision, I still respect my parents, and it's not really in my character to outright disobey - I'm horribly non-confrontational (and I wouldn't put it past them to kick me out for a while).

And while the whole situation frustrates me to know end - because I've proved time and time again that I'm trustworthy and have good judgement and am the overall "obedient (if slightly difficult) daughter" - it's just not worth throwing a big fuss over.
Like I mentioned earlier, I was really just ranting.

Yay, snow! It was supposed to snow here, but it just rained.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it snowed! Though the roads were cleared by salt trucks and the like, everything is covered in a bit of snow. The pine trees with colorful lights (and the monochrome ones too!) look simply stunning with a dusting of white on the pine needles.

Today it was COLD, and I spent entirely more time outside than I would have liked to. I ended up doing more work than I needed to due to a last minute "adjustment" by a manager at work.

Today I offered a ride home to someone who said one city (which was on the way), but meant another city (opposite direction from where I live). This extended my trip home by at least 30 minutes.

Today, while returning from dropping off my passenger at his house (which was more rural than mine, in some ways) I... had a bit of an accident. It's no small secret that I pride myself on my ability to drive, but I seemed to have misplaced that tonight.

Having no warning of the bridge after a blind turn, I was doing the speed limit on a back country road with only my headlights to guide me. I round the bend to see a bridge and a stop sign, with the road going 90 degrees left or right afterward. Now, I've been able to brake on ice before. It's a tricky matter, but generally just comes to making sure you have no lateral momentum before you begin. Unfortunately, I miscalculated this by a "smidge".

I touched the brakes gently, testing to see how icy the bridge was. After all, I'd crossed it on the way in on the other side, and this side looked no different than it's cousin. Oh, how wrong I was. The light pressure on the brakes, and the car spins like it's been hit in the rear quarter. The rear end slides to the left (which would be the momentum from my turn, I suppose). The nose of the car twists, and I hear all four wheels slide. I should have applied the gas and twisted the steering wheel to the left to turn into the spin, and try to regain traction, and I know that. I knew it about half a second after it all happened, too.

The car out of control, I go through a mental checklist. I know I was in fourth gear at 30mph, which puts my RPM at about 1500. Enough to maintain speed, by far not enough to apply ANY power in a tractionless situation. The gear ratio is wrong, not set up for torque at all. I check the mirrors (which were politely aiming down the road behind me) and see no traffic. I see no traffic in front of me, the other way down the road.

...so I let it slide. I couldn't do much about it, so I held the wheel steady and waited while it bled momentum off in the spin. The tires left the ice and hit the pavement, and I hear them grip with a shriek. All 30mph was still traveling sideways, enough to keep the tires sliding until the car flipped completely around backwards. Then I hit the brakes again, and the car came to a stop with the high beams shining brightly on a very dry, safe looking bridge.

Of course, it had stalled. I hadn't pushed in the clutch when it came to rest. Or maybe it stalled when the wheels lost traction and I took my foot off the gas... Either way, I started up the car again. Engine was fine. Got out, checked the tires. No pressure loss, and no odd angles. So, I hopped back in and drove off.

I've always had the ability to be cool under pressure, it was just about five miles down the road (when I finally reached the interstate) that I started freaking out. The only time I have ever had one end of the car dipped THAT low due to inertia was under heavy braking coming into a 120 degree turn at an amateur rally event in Utah. It had fresh tires, a proper alignment, and the pavement was dry. Also, it was the front of the car, which can be adjusted easily with steering corrections. To have the rear of the car dig in like it did, and be able only to hope and pray that the designers allowed for 30mph of lateral inertia?

...I was shaking almost the rest of the ride home. Missed a chat I'd promised someone, too. -_-;

To quote Captain Dylan Hunt from the television show Andromeda: "It's never easy."

I'm going to bed now.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight was the worst DDO questing night on record. Ax was there, I was there, and a German lady named Myryma joined us, and after nearly four hours of questing we utterly failed to complete a single quest. The first one we tried just proved too difficult for us. The second one was seriously, SERIOUSLY aggravating. We fought our way to the very last area, killed off all our opposition -- and the main boss vanished. Just disappeared when he got down to about 20% health, and we never found him again. We tried everything we could think of, and he was just gone. So, through NO fault of our own, we were incapable of completing the quest after an HOUR AND A HALF of playing. BAH!

Tomorrow -- err, later today, technically -- I'm going to Santa Fe, New Mexico, for a couple of days.
spellingmistax

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, not a good morning so far, I am hoping it improves. I'll laugh at it later but right now it is a bit raw and irritating.

@Tenshi: Sounds like you had a close call. Thatís two people I know who have had close calls involving cars the last two weeks.

while Udina asked the usual inane civilian things that came about while under attack: "What's happening? Who is shooting at us? I'm squishy and not wearing armor and I'm a liability, get me to safety, etc.
dubbed Anthrax by Asa
Spellingmistax = mistax = ax = anthrax
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're okay Tenshi, sounds like it could have been bad.

This weekend I finished typing one of my books, a few minor edits and then it's going off to a publishing agent.

Today I have an essay to work on, it looks challenging but I like the question so hopefully it won't be too difficult, except I'm fairly sure the entire class is doing the same question.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray, Britland! You'll have to tell us what it's called so we can buy it once it's published.

Today I have to finish a Hebrew essay, clean my room, attend a holiday party, set up for an anniversary dinner, attend said anniversary dinner, and do my Phonetics homework. I should also study for my HPS final because that'll be torture if I don't, but where does the time go? Oh, and I also promised to beta my author's chapter some time today. I guess it's a good thing Fuggles woke me up at 7:30 this morning.

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa, I'm only applying to agents right now but if it gets accepted the whole world will know.

Today the essay preparation is going rather well, or it was until next door decided to do building work, and sing a long to the radio while they're at it.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Britland: AWESOME! Let us know how it turns out, yeah? I definitely want my copy as soon as it comes out, and I'll show it to all my bibliophile friends, too. I can be like "I know this author!" and show it off to everyone! Very Happy That'll make two published authors I know, and (assuming yours isn't, and if it is that's perfectly awesome too!), one of them won't be an award nominated, fairly successful romance novelist. ^_^; No pressure, or anything. I'm just using you to redeem my taste in author friends... *innocent whistle*

@Asa: Aren't dogs the best? They make impeccable alarm clocks, they make for some of the best doorbells a delivery person can ask for, and they're warm and cuddly (to a degree) to boot!

Today we have spam bots again! Or maybe I'm just up early enough to see them. Either way, it's like old times! Or... something. O_o

Today it is COLD! Brrrr... *hides under his blankets*

Today there's a very specific reaction that I'm lacking to my vehicular escapades. That "You're such an idiot! Are you hurt? Are you okay? How's the car? You're an idiot! Did you check the car's suspension and undercarriage? What went wrong? Idiot! Don't scare me like that, I worry about you. Come here, give me a hug. Don't be such an idiot, okay?" reaction. *wistful sigh*

Bah! What, do my parents not turn on the heat until the afternoon?!

*grumbles and hides under his blankets*

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton

Last edited by Tenshi on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I deleted posts from a pornbot.

Today, I feel ill...and I have to dance in a couple hours. I hope this goes away. Sad
Asa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're such an idiot! Are you hurt? Are you okay? How's the car? You're an idiot! Did you check the car's suspension and undercarriage? What went wrong? Idiot! Don't scare me like that, I worry about you. Come here, give me a hug. Don't be such an idiot, okay?

Well, a virtual hug. Look, we know you're a good driver. We know you're a responsible adult, and that you're okay (obviously, since you're posting). But if you want it, you got it. ^_^

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 2 of 100

Jump to: