FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Turkey Day!

Maeniel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Turkey Day! Reply with quote

So it seems like we have a rash of holidays that come at us in rapid succession... Halloween was less than a month ago!

Anyways, here's a party thread for those of us in America celebrating Thanksgiving...and those of you who didn't get a thread for your own Thanksgiving and those of you who don't celebrate Thanksgiving but are thankful for everything you have!

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my family, my friends, my wonderful boyfriend, Earthsong, DDO, my talents and skills, (swimming, dancing, designing,) and my job. (Among other things.)

Here we go! *Serves up the turkey* Who wants dark meat?
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whut? Oh yeah, American thanksgiving. I already had my Canadian thanksgiving last month, and it still feels weird when someone mentions the american one. We usually celebrate it at our house anyway. (No harm in having two turkeys, especially if you live mintutes away from the american border XD)

Drool...I really want turkey meat now!

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh, I was going to do this when I got home. XD Ninja'd by Maen!

I have a lot of things I'm thankful for. I spent a few hours at work thinking about this, while I was driving around delivering pizzas.

I'm thankful for my hardships. Through them, I suffer and learn more than most people I've met. I have the wisdom to help others, and the strength to support them when they need it. I am grateful for these things. Also, my hardships give me the wisdom to see the joy in life in such a brighter light. Every moment is cherished, and I would have it no other way.

I'm thankful for my family. Through everything, they have helped me and offered encouragement. Whether it was a 3AM call because I fell asleep at the wheel and blew a tire when I drove off the road, or the day I woke up to found my entire life had left in the middle of the night... they've never asked if it could wait, never told me they were busy. If I needed them, they were there. I truly, truly could have none better.

I'm thankful for how I grew up. When I was young, before my mother got sick, we were fairly well off. Upper middle class, I guess. We had enough money that I received the best education that a child could get, attending a very well received private school. When my mother fell ill, and we were on hard times, I had to learn how to live life with my own hands. Thus I have both, the vast wealth of human knowledge to support me, and my own two hands to do the work.

I'm thankful for my ex-wife. She taught me, in her way, that even if your heart is in the right place, it requires effort. A relationship is a two way street, and if you're not capable of supporting yourself emotionally, then you're not capable of supporting someone else. Because of those lessons, I now find myself in a position of being the selective one in relationships. It's an odd reversal.

I'm thankful for my friends. Some I've known for 20 years, some I've known for about one. Some, I can call at any hour and know they'll be there for me no matter what I need. Others would have my back in a fight, and they'd swing at whoever was against me before they asked what it was over.

I'm thankful to have a friend who knows exactly what it is I feel, even if it's unnerving. It's wonderful to hear, from their mouth, the same things I've said for years. It's difficult to hear it, but at the same time... I don't feel alone. And, given the past two years, I've felt so horribly alone at times. I need that, and for having it, I am grateful beyond anything I could repay.

I'm thankful for my sorrow. In some moments, it affords me consciousness beyond my normal mind. It allows me to see the world in an instant, and myself as an insignificant piece of this. It allows me to know that every day, every breath, is a chance to try again. And, more importantly, it makes the happy moments... amazing.

I'm thankful for the beautiful improbability of life.

I'm thankful that I have a lot to be thankful for. Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful for the big things - family, friends, life, and all the blessings I've been given in continuing life - but I'm also thankful for all the little things. For having limbs that work, being able to run, having eyes that work and allow me to see the beauty of each day, for the job that gave me a camera to let me attempt to capture that beauty. I'm thankful for ears that allow me to hear music, and fingers and a gift that helps me create it. I'm thankful for a cousin that I love, who's been with me since the womb - literally - who is willing to be dragged around and attached at the hip without giving a word of protest, and who is so amazingly sweet that it's impossible to be mad at her. I'm thankful that there is enough food at our table that we can celebrate such a ridiculously lavish meal, and that we have enough money to go out and help others who are not as well off. I'm thankful for each and every day I have, because I know that no one is guaranteed a tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving guys! ^_^

And I would like white meat, if it's not too much trouble. *holds out plate*
Maeniel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*serves it up for Tinu*

*looks around*

Where's the pie? Crying or Very sad
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful for the fact that I'm still here, because in my opinion, I've done some things deserving of a metaphorical flick off the windshield. So I'm overwhelmingly grateful that G-d has this thing with second chances, and I hope that I can do it right this time.

And so I'm grateful to this thread for making me realize that.

Other than that... it feels trite to say 'I'm thankful for my friends and family, and whatever...' because it so much a part of the fabric of my life that I can't even imagine living without them. So it's not thankfulness. It's something more than that, more than dependence. I'll have to think about it.

Dark meat and cranberry sauce, please!

*sets down the apple pie she brought for dessert*

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sets down a huge glass casserole dish of his family's secret recipe Pineapple Casserole, which nobody has ever tried and disliked. Wanders out, afterward*

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**brings in stuffing and cranberry bread**

I'm thankful for my friends, on here and elsewhere. Lord knows they keep me sane.... P:

I'm thankful for me family, that they love me.

I know I have a lot to be greatful for, but....I dunno...
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
DarkwingPsycho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving! Smile

I'm thankful for my job, even with all of its frustrations. I'm thankful for the beauty of the mountains right in my backyard. I'm thankful to have a roof over my head. I'm thankful for my loving parents even though they live three states away. I'm thankful for my sisters, without whom I think I'd go crazy. I'm thankful for both online and offline friends who have supported me in more ways than one throughout the years. I'm thankful for my creativity and the education I worked so hard for.

I brought cheesy potatoes! Very Happy

Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful for a great many things. To choose one, I'm thankful for everyone else's thankfulness. It warms my heart.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am thankful that my family is returning from Mexico tomorrow, because I'm sick and tired of being the only human in the house for the dogs to pester!

Also, on a more conventional note, I'm thankful my grandmother is still alive and well at 95 -- she's interesting to talk to.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful for the assorted warm fuzzies, I.E. assorted emotional relationships; the protection of the strong; the fact I'm relatively wealthy - at least by comparison to the poor suckers in the third world or one of those countries that keep getting bombed, that'd kinda suck; thoughtful gifts; my mother's cooking; oh and for my health.
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: