FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

What's wrong with the RSS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: What's wrong with the RSS? Reply with quote

The home page now points us to the RSS to be notified of changes, but according to my reader (Flock), the last update was March 10, 2008 and references a page posted April 2, 2009. This entry reads "The very first page to appear on the rss feed! Woooo...? lol...".

I'd like to keep up, but the RSS isn't helping.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Lady just forgot to update it -- it's not automated like most RSS feeds. She writes the code for it by hand. And since (as far as I know) she doesn't actually use RSS for anything herself, I imagine it's fairly easy to forget or put it off.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated it every time I've put up a new page. If it's not working, I have no idea why. Any one else have this problem and/or an insight on how to fix it?
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected (and should have just looked at the RSS feed before replying, to see that it is in fact up to date).

Lady hasn't included a pubDate field in the item entries to indicate when each item was published. Perhaps Flock expects that to be there, and malfunctions if it isn't. Can any other RSS users weigh in? Does it work with other RSS reader software?

[rant]

Since we're on the topic anyway ... Lady, you really need a content management system. A well-configured CMS would make your life a lot simpler. A CMS would let you instantly change the look of the entire site just by switching to a new theme. It would let you post your updates from any computer, no FTP required. It would take care of RSS feed generation automatically, in the background. It would probably even make it possible for you to post updates in advance so that if you go on vacation you could post a few updates with specified future release times so that they'd show up magically whilst you were lolling on the beach somewhere.

Continuing to maintain a site this size as a collection of static HTML files is crazy.

:-

[/rant]
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to work with Opera's one:

It dated all the bits before I signed up to the time I did but that's not really a bother.
- Issa
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine for me, with Google Reader.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tyris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinalles wrote:
Since we're on the topic anyway ... Lady, you really need a content management system. A well-configured CMS would make your life a lot simpler. A CMS would let you instantly change the look of the entire site just by switching to a new theme. It would let you post your updates from any computer, no FTP required. It would take care of RSS feed generation automatically, in the background. It would probably even make it possible for you to post updates in advance so that if you go on vacation you could post a few updates with specified future release times so that they'd show up magically whilst you were lolling on the beach somewhere.

Continuing to maintain a site this size as a collection of static HTML files is crazy.

Trouble is... with what? Comicgenesis and Drunkduck are both a bit... well... blech. Keenspot is by invitation only, and the snobbier for it. CMXpress is still in beta. What have we missed?

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wordpress could probably do a decent job of it. Drupal certainly could (since Drupal can do essentially anything with enough configuration). If you wanted to get a bit more exotic, Omeka might do too, though I haven't spent much time studying its internals so I don't really know for sure. Or one could run up a collection of scripts in PHP or similar to at least partially automate stuff -- that's how Sarah Ellerton does it.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest, I subscribed to the Earthsong RSS feed when it first started, and it's only now I realise that it's never updated once for me. I think I subscribed when I didn't really know how to navigate the RSS, and didn't pay attention to it until I saw this thread...
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried adding a pubdate. Lemme know if this works for you now or if it's just borked everything entirely.

Wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not appearing in my list of RSS feeds, and Phoenix Requiem and Evil Diva always do.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a "server timed out" message when trying to access the file. Which is weird.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Anyone want to tell me what I'm doing wrong? 'Cause I've got noooooo idea.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it through the W3C's validator service:

validation results

The error messages that W3C validators produce usually aren't very helpful to mere mortals. So, in my capacity as tech guru, I shall translate.

The first error is:

Code:
line 14, column 39: Incorrect day of week: Mon

<pubDate>Mon, 25 Nov 2009 16:00:00 EST</pubDate>

Based on the text, you would think it was saying that the day "Monday" doesn't exist. What it's actually trying to say is that the 25th of November 2009 was a Wednesday, so the date as written is impossible.

Code:
In addition, interoperability with the widest range of feed readers could be improved by implementing the following recommendations.

line 15, column 4: item should contain a guid element (84 occurrences)

</item>

It wants each <item> tag to have a guid attribute, which uniquely identifies the item in the feed. The easiest way to do this is to use the URL of the actual new page. Thus:

Code:
<item guid="http://earthsongsaga.com/vol3/50.html">

However, it's not required to be an URL. That's just a convention that most RSS readers expect. if you'd rather, you can come up with your own ID scheme, maybe using something like comic-volume-page:

Code:
<item guid="es-3-50">

As long as all the IDs in the document are unique, you can do it any way you like.

The third error is:

Code:
Missing atom:link with rel="self"

For reasons of portability, it wants you to replace the RSS tag (line 2) with:

Code:
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">

And then include a link to the RSS file itself as the first thing in side the channel section (line 5):

Code:
<atom:link href="http://www.earthsongsaga.com/feed.xml" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" />

I'm not actually sure why it wants that, but it does.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeeexcellent. Thanks Tin, I'll have that fixed up for the next update... unless I do something stupid like forget to change Mon to Wed again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: