FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Beliefs and Religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Miho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup.

Thomas S. Monson is the prophet for now.

Joseph Smith was the first back in 1830. And so far there is a total of 16 of them who have served in the church as a prophet. These guys who are called to do this also serve as church president.
Nem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'interesting, haven't heard of this before ^_^
How do they pick/find/discover the prophet?
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*echoes Nem*
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*so doesn't have the time to be answering this but is gonna do so anyhow*

The LDS notion of prophet is that there's one person called to lead the church and receive revelation for the church as a whole.

That doesn't mean that he's the only person who God "talks" to though. Anyone is entitled to revelation relevant to themselves and those who they have stewardship over. For example, a Bishop receives revelation for his ward (individual congregation), but can't receive it for the stake he's in (stake = regional grouping of wards and/or pointy stick to poke vampires with*).

There's a loooooooong line of succession that one has to go through to become prophet though. First you probably serve umpteen years as a stake president, get called to be an area seventy, then you maybe get called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (yes, that's right, apostles). From there on, it's a matter of seniority. The most senior apostle is prophet. Each calling to a higher "rank" is a matter of revelation concerning those already in that rank.

But enough about Mormons. Especially about the bureaucratic elements.

What's your stance on the Bible (especially Old Testament)? Literal or allegorical?

*Note: LDS beliefs do not include vampires.
Miho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YatesOfYore wrote:

*Note: LDS beliefs do not include vampires.

WHAT!?! It doesn't!!!!!!!
Shocked

well what the crap am I practicing then?
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got a main course of LDS with a side dish of vampires. ^_^
Miho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always knew stephenie meyer was up to something more...
<.<
>.>
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyyyy... forgot about that. Okay, LDS beliefs DO include vampires!

We just got 10x more awesome. *high fives for Miho and Squee*
Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, if the LDS faith includes vampires, I'm moving out west right now. I have a really great friend who's LDS, and he would love nothing more than my conversion (I've come this close! *pinches fingers*) if it were sincere and what I wanted.

I had a REALLY long story here about my personal experience, but it simultaneously makes me sound more insane than normal, and... well, it's not really discussing religion. So, if anyone wants, I'll pass them the story via PM. That's a rather amazing offer, I think, considering the grand total of the people who know that story now sits at... hm. Four? Five? Yeah. Five.

Anyway, onto religion.

I was raised Southern Baptist. I remember more sermons from my youth than actual youth. Most of my memory from that time in my life is "snapshots", except for sermons. For some reason, I really liked the adult sermons.

When my mother fell ill, I ended up falling into a very different sort of crowd. I was introduced to a few people who ended up teaching me about their religion, which centered around what sounds like a really interesting novel. Some thousands of years ago, during a time when history essentially forgot (according to this belief, the European Dark Ages), there was a great war. In this great war, there were many forces at work. There was one force that sought to create absolute chaos. There was another, which sought to create absolute order. In the middle, a very small fraction sought a balance between the two.

Of course there was an epic battle. Or, really, an epic war. The telling would take too long, but the cliff notes are simple enough. Betrayals were commonplace, and people would "wake up" to learn both their destiny and ability. Then they would be forced to decide, and often in the middle of a situation where lives would hang in the balance. This went on until it essentially ravaged... everything.

Finally a group of twelve of the most powerful found a way to take away all of these abilities, powers, absolutism, all of it... and seal it away. To put it some place where it could no longer inspire such malice, from any direction. They were from all three "sides", and working together they did succeed at this task. Unfortunately, this cost them their lives.

Since this was a bit of a "handed down among a very select group of people in small clusters" sort of legend, it goes without saying that many of the people involved were some of these twelve figures. In retrospect, it was all sort of silly at the time, but... due to other reasons, it made a lot of sense. There was a lot of guided meditation and focused projection involved, with the end result ending up being a sort of "forced out of body experience". Except you didn't stay on the world, not really as you knew it.

There was a "veil", created by the twelve when they sealed away all that energy. And, being one of those twelve, certain people were tasked with taking care of the other side. Unfortunately, the other side got sort of... unruly. So, going over was always risky business.

As well as the twelve, there were five additional sources of power. These were holders of five very specialized weapons, focusing on elements. Not elements in the sense of Captain Planet, but more in terms of emotional elements. One was for passion and ferocity in the face of all adversity, one was for purity, one for compassion and empathy... you get the idea.

According to this belief system, the "veil" was not a permanent solution. In fact, it was growing weaker as the world tumbled toward a drastic misuse of the world energy used to sustain this field. Further, contempt, violence, and anger had grown again in other parts of the world. The veil became weaker, as the two sides balanced. According to lore, it would crumble and the only thing stopping hordes of well prepared dark... things... was to be the few who believed, and studied, and focused, and trained on this belief system.

...and I fell by the wayside, somewhere along the way. THAT part is more person, and I can also talk about it in private.

Next I entertained atheism for a while, diving headfirst into science as if it were going out of style. Through this line of inquiry I realized that a few of the historical claims made by the belief were, to say the least, grossly inaccurate according to modern knowledge. The belief system accounted for this ("lost years"), but it never clicked again for me. As I drove myself further toward believing in nothing but cold space dust, I found myself more and more blind to all the things that religion had ever brought me.

Then I came to the ultimate paradox. After studying Environmental Biology and Astrophysics few two years, in all my research and learning I simply could not "begin" the universe. Also, in my training as a scientist, I learned that what we cannot measure, we cannot understand. I saw that I could not measure this "beginning event", and thus could not understand it. A line struck me, from my childhood days. "We are not meant to understand God, for his plan reaches further back than human minds can recall, and will stretch forward until human bones are no longer even dust."

...and that's when atheism turned into agnosticism. I began praying again, pursued the LDS faith first due to several friends being LDS. I had personal reasons for it not sticking, and again can share those in private if desired. Since that, I have sought to learn about Judaism, Catholicism, Buddhism, Daoism/Taoism, and have dabbled in several other Oriental religions. As Asa can attest, my ability to pick up facts about a religion is very alarming. It's almost more a matter of remembering what I've forgotten, in a way. Wink

Now, I have no idea what to call myself. I take a lot of aspects from all of what I've learned.

On the topic of "Kingdom of Heaven", I think to me (and whatever odd brand of religious combination you want to brand me with) it's kind of straightforward. God created all things, and so in all things we can find God. Just like a painter creates art on a canvas, so too did God create the known universe on...his canvas. The Kingdom of Heaven is God's Kingdom, some place he reserves his best work. It's the most beautiful, the most glorious, the most breathtaking. It is, in a word, perfect.

...but I don't think that sort of place would be reserved for an elite few, not the way I always saw God. I was raised with that idea of a Loving Father sort. So, I guess I believe that it's sort of just... Heaven. If you've done good in this world, honestly improved it and chosen to focus on purifying your soul of darkness... well, someday you'll eventually get there. Once you've reached a state where you can actually appreciate it for what it is, that's when you see it.

I'm not sure if I believe in Hell anymore. I like Fire & Brimstone, I was raised on it. Razz I like pointy-horned demons and half goat-men running around with pitchforks. I just... don't think it's very real.

Sorry for spamming the thread. I's go away now, yep.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really really weird to hear him talking about stuff that he just heard about as if he'd know them his whole life. Really weird!

Anyway,
Quote:
What's your stance on the Bible (especially Old Testament)? Literal or allegorical?

Both. And only the Old Testament, obviously, since I'm Jewish and it's ours in the first place. ^_^

We believe that the events in the Torah (Old Testament) really happened. So yes, the world was created in six days, and G-d rested on the seventh. And yes, Noah really gathered two of every animal (except for some, where it was seven of each) into an ark and sailed upon the face of the world for forty days and nights (and on his first night back on dry land, passed out drunk). And yes, Moses really led the people of Israel into the desert, where they proceeded to screw up royally several times before finally making it home to Israel.

However, it cannot be taken only on the literal level. We believe that the Torah was written by G-d and transmitted to Moses, who transcribed it. Therefore, every word, every letter is there for a purpose and to teach a lesson. That's why if you open a Chumash, most of it is commentary (The large font on the right is the actual text. All the little stuff is what past sages have said about it).

We believe that there are seventy interpretations for the Torah, and every one is correct. So both. It really happened, but there are layers of meaning in every aspect. Some events were recorded out of chronological order, so glossed over, and some in incredible detail. Why? Because each has a lesson to teach, in the details, the placement, the spotlight, and in its relation to its neighboring passages. You can't read the Torah as a superficial, literal storybook only, because you'd be missing 99.9% of what it can teach.

*and if someone can fix this link, I'd be most appreciative.

Done! -Tam

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
And yes, Moses really led the people of Israel into the desert, where they proceeded to screw up royally several times before finally making it home to Israel.

First off. I love how you worded this. Gave me a good laugh for the morning.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd.

Yo tengo un pregunta para ti miss Asa, in the book of Joshua we have this stand gal by the name of Rahab. First off, how do you pronounce that? Is it Ray-Hab or Raw-hab? Or maybe both is wrong.

And second of all, I remember growing that sometimes people would tell me that Rahab, wasn't a harlot, that maaaaaaaaaybe, she was a hostess since she rand this inn... or something. Others, just told me, nope, she was a harlot. I figure, since the Old testament was originally written in Hebrew you might give me your take. En la Torah (masculine or feminine?) que palabra usen para ella? Is it a word that can be interpreted as hostess or is it just just a word that has one meaning?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure off the top of my head, I'd have to look it up. Which I can't do right at this moment. Tamir might be able to give you a good answer if he catches you first. Though neither pronunciation is right. ^_~

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then...
Pues, digame.
How do you pronounce the name?
I had a class in which they briefly go over what's happening when and my teacher kept saying Ray-Hab and it was very bothersome, cause I was pretty sure, it wasn't pronounced like that, so I need to know cause that's all I can hear and it needs to be gone from my head.
Tamir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper pronunciation of her name is Rachav, where the 'ch' is like in 'loch' and both 'a's are like in 'father'.

There are indeed rabbinical opinions saying that Rachav was not a whore. Some interpret the word "Zonah" to mean "someone who sells food" rather than "prostitute", which is unusual. Others say that she ran the inn. However, most commentators agree that she was a prostitute.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the way Christianity screws up pronunciations. ^__^
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: