FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Washing your hair... with cancer.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Washing your hair... with cancer. Reply with quote

Wanna see something scary? Just search for the shampoo that you use on this website:

www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Oi! Seriously though, this site actually has valuable independent scientific analysis of these products and their individual ingredients rather than just being another one of those fear-mongering websites looking to sell an "organic" product.

It's amazing what we put into our bodies without knowing it.

Sadly, my favourite shampoo is rated a 7 (Fructis) so I'll probably be switching to an organic brand sometime soon... not to mention trying to find a better bath soap for Charlie. It's the accumulation of this stuff in your system that really gets you - so I'd like to give my wee pipsqueaker the best shot he's got at skipping out on negative side effects later on in life.

Anyhow, just thought I'd put this out there for you all to see. Whether you DO anything about the products you're using or not is up to you, but at least now you KNOW. (And knowing's half the battle!)
Miho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... this is a pretty awesome site, not gonna lie.

I'm proud to say that all of my stuff ranged from moderate to low. Woop woop! Go me. Well shampoo and jazz...

I'm gonna have fun with this site. I wanna know what stuff out there is realllly bad. Hmmm...
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. It's pretty cool to look up my favorite products. I know the risks, but I really don't think switching my products is going to change the out come of my life. I'm more worried about more generic means of dying: heart disease, diabetes, alzheimers, et cetera.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Tinu.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shampoo rated moderate, but my shower gel is hazardous, as are all my other hair products. Oo;

I'm going to rethink my shopping list now . . .
sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about the whole "going organic" thing... this site is nice 'cause they break it down by ingredient, but remember that having the word "organic" on the label doesn't mean it's better for you.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Miho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi...
I used to be slightly paranoid before...
now nixon's got nothing on me.
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, that seems kind of scare-mongery to me.

In scientific terms 'linked to' means comparatively little. Not to mention the fact that inordinate amounts of everyday substances are linked to various problems they mention. Red meat, for instance, is linked to cancer and heart disease...

That's not to say that you're not better off picking a nice organic brand (I recommend Lush, by the way, it's done good things for my hair), but don't get too freaked out by them.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaceinvader speaks the truth about this. A little bit of moderation when you see things like this is healthy. Just about every substance we use can be linked to some condition or another. Guess what? All of the veggies and fruits that are oh-so-good for fighting cancer...have also been "linked" to causing cancer Razz The bottom line is that everything in the world can potentially kill ya in enough amounts. There's honestly no reason to be overly worried about average, tested products used in normal amounts...but there's also no reason to overdo it by wearing makeup with all kinds of chemicals all the time. And yes...most cosmetic products aren't tested, so there is some cause for concern. Again, moderate use is unlikely to cause problems.
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wasn't going to eat my shampoo anyway. Wink
- Issa
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say, this looks mostly like fear-mongering to me. Nothing unusual about that, and I don't think the shampoo I use once a week is going to give me cancer, especially since it's a major brand.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good site--it's important to know that these ingredients and products are more helpful or harmful to your body, and I ultimately think it's your own choice if you choose to take that risk. My personal opinion is that the risk isn't necessarily as high as many people believe it to be, but I also think that it's important to know the facts. I'm glad that my shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, and makeup are all 5 or less to begin with, so I don't think I'll be changing.

One thing that I noticed is that the site rated Pantene a little less than TRESemme, but Pantene generally has a higher risk of hair loss...
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's fear mongering at all. It's just information. They give you ratings on the individual ingredients according to amount/potency/whatever. As I said earlier, it's completely up to you to decide if you care or not, but at least you know and can make an informed decision rather than just trusting blindly.

I'm just as suspicious of "organic" products as I am of major brands. Groceries, for example, at least in Canada, have very loose definitions of what constitutes organic. So unless they tell you exactly what they mean by that term, it's up to your imagination and I dislike using my imagination when it comes to things like this cause I ALWAYS come up with the worst possible scenario. All that said, I also trust a major corporation about as far as I can throw them.

But yes, moderation, of course. As per an earlier example, I already know that red meat isn't good for me, so I don't eat it much... but I do still eat it. (I only eat any kind of meat about once or twice a week, actually). That's my choice and I'm aware of the "risks".

Quote:
...average, tested products used in normal amounts...

Actually, the site itself says that "...the FDA doesn't require companies to test their own products for safety." Hence the existence of the site to begin with AND why I like it.

And I have to say that I'm surprised to hear that Nem DOESN'T eat shampoo... that would explain a few things Wink
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are we getting these products in moderation exactly? (And what is a "normal" amount for that matter?) Has no one used shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturizer, shaving cream, sunscreen, face wash, concealer, lip balm, hair gel, deodorant, etc at all this week? I know you're very nice people, but maybe you shouldn't sit beside me on a crowded bus when its hot out...

BTW, for the record it was personally far easier for me to find non sulfate, non paraben make-up than it was for me to find the same for shampoo/conditioner.

Of course Nem doesn't eat shampoo - you drink shampoo, not eat it!
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can eat my shampoo, it comes in bars, like soap.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shampoo as a bar? ... my mind is blown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: