FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Better Nuclear Reactors

Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Better Nuclear Reactors Reply with quote

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/03/11/plutonium-bombs.html

You know, maybe it's not the end-all for safe nuclear fuel, but it's a step in the proper direction (IMO).

Ten bucks says Tam gave them the idea. Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I well may end up working at Israel's nuclear power plant in a few months, but as of yet, I have no connection to this. Can I have those ten bucks? Very Happy

(Excellent research, though. Nuclear power is something we should really be promoting right now, and this would make life a lot harder for those who would misuse it. Thanks for pointing out the article!)
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people produce their own materials then I don't really see that this is going to stop them from using them to create a weapon; and if they're restrained from producing their own materials then it will probably be seen as a way for the West and its allies to continue their economic dominance through acquiring control of the energy resources of the relevant countries.

's interesting though.
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping somebody comes up with a break-through to make fusion practical. I mean, if we can get it to work right, it puts out a ton of power, and its byproducts are actually more stable than they were when they went into the reactor. The reactor itself would be so radioactive it would glow in the dark, but it would also have a comparatively short half life. In a few hundred years it'd be safe again, which is substantially easier to deal with than tens of thousands.

But, barring that breakthrough, it's not going to work any time soon. Ah well. We'll probably end up with a cocktail of all kinds of stuff -- solar, wind, wave, biofuels, fission reactors, etc etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: