FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Redux is finally complete! YAY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
tomaO2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: The Redux is finally complete! YAY! Reply with quote

After three years, three months and thr..., I mean, and one day, it is finally complete. No big announcement though. I guess she is waiting for her very first "new" page next week to mark the occasion.

I, however, shall jump that gun and congratulate her now as I remember quite clearly that this is, in fact, the last page she ever drew from the first version.

Congratulations Lady Yates, it has been a hard, long road. The scope of your Redux has been massive. I cannot think of anyone that has done such a rethink as you have in any other webcomic I have encountered. You didn't have to do this and it has been frustrating for all your fans who have wanted to know what was coming next but that is all over now (and no one can deny the impressiveness of the result).

Unless... You intend to fake us all out with the Tredux? Man, even if you didn't want to do that, with April Fools is so frikken close, it would be hilarious if you went down that road. A few new pages and then WHAM!

"Sorry readers but I am still not happy with the Redux so I'm doing it again," and you could start from the beginning again but with a totally different look. Just a page or two as a joke, mind.

Not many read the forums... Think about it. Wink

Okay, to celebrate the occasion, why don't the long time readers pick what we like best from the redux and what (if any) change was our least favorite.

I'll go first with three things I liked:

-I loved the meeting of the planets as opposed to the wall of text in the first version.
-I loved the new personality of Tristam. I didn't think I would but you really have added some depth in this new portral that he didn't have as a simple emo during the first take. Bravo!
- The art is a quantum leap over the old stuff. You really improved as an artist. That really must be said.

Now, here are three things I didn't care for as much:

-As a proud Canadian, the removal of the Wipple tree to satisfy the complainers that didn't get it was a blow. Sad
-I liked the uncertainty of the first meeting, Skogul and her teammates gave a much more evil vibe in the new version.
-Although, in almost all respects, I love the new artwork... I don't like the way the noses are done in the latter pages of the Redux. I realize that it's more accurate but it's just less attractive to me.

Also, I just want to note that I was shocked and appalled that PoodleStick was so quickly destroyed again. It was a fan favorite and yet you haven't expanded it's role in the story. However, this can still be corrected. Perhaps it was retrieved by Belluse as the symbol of his first failure and is currently in his throne room and will play a crucial role in the "Rescue Willow" arc that is coming. Just a thought. Smile

That's all on that. You have done a wonderful job Yates. So, again, congratulations on all your hard work.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you! But... uh, there's actually... two pages left.

And that IS a really good April Fool's joke. I'm tempted, but I think perhaps with the number of people who seem to miss the whole April Fool's concept that I would loose a fair number of readers before they got to the joke part of it. I took a significant hit in readership when I did the redux, though I still think it was worth it.

So thank you for all you comments and compliments and hopefully the new material will make up for all the lost time of the redux.
Rickmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the redux being almost complete.

Just wanted to mention that I can think of three other comics doing a redux of similar proportions (and for the same reasons):

True Magic (http://www.true-magic.com/) is 21 pages into redoing 172 pages
Joyride (http://www.joyridecomic.com/) is preparing to redo 231 pages
Crowfeathers (http://www.crowfeathers.net/) spent this summer coloring (texturing? - what's black/brown/white with other colors used for accentuation?) and resizing the entire archive of what amounted to 590 pages

as for the pros and cons, I pretty much agree with what toma02 has said
(though, not being a canadian, I'm not qualified to comment on the Wipple tree^^)
I really like the new look and better artwork. Can't say much about the noses, since I don't remember the old style well. Only came across this comic after the redux started already.
tomaO2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I honestly don't recall how the noses looked in the original version either Rickmer. So that nit-pick wasn't entirely appropriate. When I said it, I was comparing the way the nose looked in the early chapters of the Redux when compared to the most recent ones. I prefer the earlier look.

Hmm, I understand your concerns Yates but I still think the idea of a tredux would be funny for the occasion. Still, I don't want any readers lost. How about a compromise? According to the main discussion page, you have three pages left, not two, so if you can manage one a week for the next three weeks, you would finish the Redux just before April 1st. So you do that, make the announcement, all it well in the world and everyone is excited for the first new page. However, on April Fools, you give a special notice and say you are THINKING about a tredux instead of continuing the story. You wonder if it might be better to take the whole thing in a totally new way since your last book didn't sell as well as you hoped (sadly).

Post some concept art and then make a poll asking your dear readers what they think and you will go with whatever the majority wants because you are just not too sure about doing this all over again. Maybe you should keep going after all?

That should avoid any issues with people dumping the comic while still making a great joke. The timing is just so perfect. Destiny is calling on you to take advantage of this confluence of April Fool's and the finishing of your Redux, Lady Yates. Don't ignore it!
tomaO2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, one more time.

Hurray, the redux is complete!

Also, I thought that your lack of response was your tacit way of going along with my second plan, Lady Yates. The first on was too confrontational but I thought myrevised plan dealt with the issue.

Aww man. I was looking foward for some good pranking. Crying or Very sad
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I wasn't going to do your idea (for reasons already stated - though it still IS a good idea) and was thinking of doing something else, but I've been working on a project for my husband for the last two days and didn't have time to do a prank.

Anyhow, thanks! I'm glad it's done too Very Happy
technochocolate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself am very excited about moving into new material for one great reason...I am no longer a perpetual n00b! Laughing I can now post in the forums without worrying about the seasoned fans saying "teehee, if only she knew..." Wink So hopefully I'll be around more...

"Live without the sunlight
Love without your heartbeat
I can't live
Within you" --Jareth
theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, techno.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about this thread.

Hurrah for the new pages!

*dances*

(It's never too late to celibrate).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: