FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

WOWIO is going global!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:
But it still SUCKS. The download isn't free unless Earthsong has a direct sponsor now. And since I apparently don't have a sponsor, it costs $5 to download. Who is going to pay that for something they're already reading on their computer for free? (I wouldn't even, and it's MY comic).

Thanks, Lady!

I found out the part about paying for downloads myself after my previous post, but didn't feel like ranting about it in here. Now you've done that rant for all of us! Wink

BTW: $5 is the upper end of the price span I found for comics (I only checked the ones I was personally interested myself, though). Of the comics I looked at, Earthsong shares the $5 price tag with Cowboys & Aliens ($4.99, to be precise). On the opposide end of the price span I found The Far Reaches and The Dreamer, both for $0.99.

One more thing I'm kinda bummed about: I had expected to find a whole lot more of my favorite comics on that list than I actually did.

And apparently, WOWIO didn't bother to provide any means to delete an account once you signed up... Sad

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out how to change the price (wasn't particularly obvious) and put it down to $.99, which is the lowest option available.

I still don't expect this to go over particularly well.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have to have a sponsor for it to be free?

Does Wowio make money off the sponsors on the webcomics sites...I don't understand how that would work.
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sponsor pays WOWIO to get a page or two at the beginning and end of each book. It's usually just a blank page that says "this comic was sponsored by such-and-such" and there's a link the the sponsor's website, but sometimes comic publishers sponser their own comics and advertize for other comics. It works just like the commercials on TV.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBSDude wrote:
It works just like the commercials on TV.
Which we also hate to pieces.

Vive la BBC!

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
JackAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From WOWIO's pre-global statements on their website, I had gotten the impression that they would organize the advertising to make those download free for everyone.

I assumed that was how they made their money: Selling ad space in products they give away for free.

That would also have explained their limitation to the US market. I figured few US companies would be willing to pay for ad space in a product that ends up in Germany or Japan...

theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since most of the comics I've bought were sponsored by cell phone companies.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lope wrote:
Are they really trying to tell us that all the hype about "going global" really comes down to allowing us to read the comics online just as we could on the comics' own home page all the time anyways ???

Whoo, hold it. There's plenty of material here besides online comics. I'm kinda upset with the lack of downloadability too, but at least we can read the things! That's quite a bit.

Lope wrote:
wild turkey farm???

Nice. XD
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some further developement in this regard.

http://www.thedreamlandchronicles.com/?p=1046#comments

This is, of course, second hand information but at least it's something to keep looking forward to.

Tamir wrote:
Lope wrote:
wild turkey farm???
Nice. XD

Actually, I didn't write that. Embarassed

Although I'm no longer sure what I wrote... Confused

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the full version of the original expression...
Possibly just the acronym, or a more recognizable variation...

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. New wowio got a bit lame. I'll still probably join, but I'm disappointed that they took away the free PDF downloads.

I won't, however, be paying for anything, in all probability. I've paid for a couple of pdf books in the past (goblins being a prime example) and while i've not been disappointed with the extras, i probably wouldn't do so again. And I'm going to be VERY poor for the next few years. Pretty much all frivolities will be defenestrated.

Blargag.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackAce wrote:
Actually, I didn't write that.

I like to have fun with the auto word censors. Keep it clean, kiddos - that means shortforms too Wink

(random grammatical trivia: A shortform is only an acronym when it actually spells another word, such as S.P.E.W)

And as for Scott's info on Wowio, I know that he talks to these people directly so you can trust what he has to say about it. I wish I had held off joining back up as well, but I wasn't aware of this lack of sponsors issue.
Tyris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:
I like to have fun with the auto word censors.
Speaking of which, what the great greasy turkey farms is up with "wisthaha!ful" and "wisthaha!fully" getting twisted into "stale toast ferments uniquely"? Shocked Did you get inundated with Tristram fanfic at some point or what?

LadyYates wrote:
(random grammatical trivia: A shortform is only an acronym when it actually spells another word, such as S.P.E.W)
Further grammatical trivia: "shortform" is not a word we've heard of anywhere, ever... nor can we find it in the the Chambers Handy Dictionary. Then again, the book doesn't include "acronym" either, so a fat lot of good it is. So much for "Handy."
To the OED!
Ah, this is more informative... "acronym" cross-references "initialism" and says the difference between the two is not that an acronym makes a pre-existing word (as your use of "another" suggests - if not, disregard), but simply that it is pronounced as a word, where an initialism is pronounced letter-by-letter.

Oh, and given that Hermione keeps insisting "It's not spew," that would make S.P.E.W. an initialism and not an acronym. Bad example. Wink

Dunno about this "shortform" wossname, though. As two words, it's not by any means restricted to acronym-like devices. As one word, Wikipedia redirects it to improv theatre... Confused

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the clbuttic problem. Google it. It's a major issue with automatic word filters. The middle few letters in the words you mentioned form an acronym for shut the f(rell) up which teh lady does not want using. SO any use of it, even perfectly legitimately, gets censored, because word filtering software cannot read intent.

As you yourself have discovered, they're also extremely easy to spoof into not filtering words you don't wish them to.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a few minutes to figure out what "clbuttic" and "stale toast ferments uniquely" could possibly be alterations for. Especially wistfully.

Kind of interesting. I used to play a game called Silencer (my user icon is from that game) that had an insane language filter on it. We actually got so into it, we started using the language filter's replacements instead of the real words. Well, it was funny, when some really..ah... indecent language turned into "toast". So, "toast" is an inside joke now between me and a friend.

But anyway. WOWIO! Glad it's going global, hopefully they get the sponsor thing worked out soon tho'.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: