FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Help Nu get ready for a job interview?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Help Nu get ready for a job interview? Reply with quote

It's my first job interview, and I'm freaking out a bit. I don't know what to do, or what to wear. . .I don't know if I should wear a skirt or not because It's a job for a park and thus that's where the interview will be. Advice? Tips? Encouragement? Anything? *pleads*
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinu: First piece of advice? Relax if you can. Smile

Also, what type of job is it? If they have a standard of company dress (IE: uniform) then try and wear something close to that, to show you recognize the company dress code and will apply yourself to it. If you don't know the dress code, don't worry about it. Wear something tasteful and classy that helps to present you as a professional.

Be polite, but not over the top. Don't be condescending, try to be casual while somewhat formal.

Some basic tips: Clean clothes. I know this is stupid sounding, but just a brief check is a good idea. Also, don't chew gum in the interview. Pay attention, smile, and keep eye contact. Did I mention, don't forget to have a pleasant smile? Razz

Basically, to sum this up? Relax, act like you want the job but aren't willing to compromise yourself to do the job, yaknow? Be yourself! They're hiring a person, not a cookie cutter. Smile

I'm sure you'll do fine, so good luck isn't neccesary! All the same, good luck to you. Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should like to echo exactly what Tenshi put and say YOU'LL BE FINE at the top of my lungs. What sort of job is it?

Relax, enjoy just interacting with a person who is also having a day, and you'll do fine. Sending positive energy your way!

*sighs* I remember my first job...it was summer vacation and our neighbor need someone to muck stalls...*nostalgic* she paid me a pound for every stall. She had 3 stalls. Rolling Eyes

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Lithrath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: Breathe!

Second: If you're working in a park, don't wear a skirt. Wear casual slacks of some variety (khakis/chinos/whatever you call them locally) and add a nicer shirt. I suggest either a business casual blouse (matte fabric is a must. Preferably a cotton or breathable polyester), a nicely cut T-shirt or a ladies Polo/golf shirt. This will allow you to not only look nice, respectable and responsible, but also like you're ready to work outdoors.

Third: close toed shoes (preferably neither heels or trainers). If you have a monochrome pair of tennis or skate shoes, yay. If not, a sturdy pair of ballet flats or flat dress shoes will be fine; or a clean, black boot would work as well. Remember: it's all about looking respectful and ready to work.

Fourth: You'll do fine. Just be your usual charming self and allow yourself to have a conversation with the person who will be interviewing you. Often employers want to know more than just what you can do, they want to discover what kind of person you are...if you're reliable, personable, driven, interested in the work you'll be doing, etc.

So take a breath, remember why you decided to apply to that place over other potential jobs and smile at the fact that they'll be lucky to have you. ^__^
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a job for a park, so I could be doing anything, however, the directions she gave me to get to the interview lead me to believe that I'll be working concession stands. Ack, I just remembered I've no idea how to work a cash register. o_o

and thanks for the advice so far, I'll try and remember it. Though, I don't have any slacks/khakis, are jeans ok? Or an absolute no?
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but if it's a concession stand, they will probably have some sort of company shirt, white with a logo, or something.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeans...probably not the best bet, unless that's all you have.

Lith gave some excellent advice, by the way, you should listen to her.

You'll do fine though, if you fret it too much you'll "worry yourself out of the job" as a friend said to me once. If you just act normally you should be fine. Smile

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW YOU"LL DO AWESOME!
*breaks out the ole' pom-poms*
Tinu Tinu she's our man, if she can't do it, no-one can!
YAY!
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*falls over laughing*

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD

Thanks spegg, you totally just made me laugh like an idiot and break the nervous spell. hehe

And I plan on listening to everyone. You all give such wonderful advice, and I'm sure I'll get a bunch more from my parents too.

There's not a uniform that I'm aware of actually, every thing's really casual. I actually have a friend who works the concession's there, and she generally dresses semi-casual. Of course, she and a bunch of people are getting ready to leave, which is why I've got this interview. . .

And it looks like it will have to be jeans. . .because firstly, I look horrible in dress pants/khakis (seriously, nightmarish, I'm not exaggerating). And I can't really wear a skirt because my legs are torn up and slightly livid from this past weekend. . .

*worries again* *Goes back to read spegg's post and laughs some more*

X3
Lithrath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spegg wins...*waves a little white flag before searching for pom-poms to join the chant.*

If all you have are jeans, then that should be fine. Just make sure they're clean and hole free. ^__^

Though you can use this as an excuse to go shopping! As for looking "horrible" in dress pants/khakis, you probably just haven't found the right cut yet. Pity I'm a good 900 km north of you or I'd take you shopping ^______^

<----loves to dress people up and find what works for them

Last edited by Lithrath on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
cvcdaisy3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the jeans, make sure they're not the ripped and/or washed out ones. Grey or black jeans are usually accepted as 'more formal', but.... if you don't have any.....

Spegg? nice.... Laughing
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye-aye! Actually, all I have are dark-navy jeans that are kind of nice looking anyways. They're not even denim I don't think, they feel more like that fake jean-cloth material. . .go wal-mart? They got my sister's approval rating anyways, so hopefully this will go well. =3
Lithrath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark-navy faux denim jeans are FTW.

Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a good idea to buy slacks anyways. If you don't look good in khaki/white, then go for black. You're going to need it much more in the future; you might as well get it now if you have the money.

It's always better to err on the side of caution. He may have thought to place you in the concessions stand, but you may actually be able to nab a better job if you dress well and have a good interview. Even if you do end up getting the concessions stand, a good impression may move you to a better-paying job somewhere else in the parks department later on. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed--being overdressed can be uncomfortable, but being underderssed can cost you the job.

As far as the top goes, wear something that will enhance your pants, preferably a brighter blouse to take the attention off your darker jeans--certainly not so bright that the interviewer is keeling over, and not so bright that it clashes with the jeans. Wear little to no make-up. Concealer is good to hide any acne, and if you must wear more, only do faint things around your eyes. You shouldn't be able to tell that you're wearing anything.

All that being said, RELAX!!! Interviewers will understand that you're nervous, especially if it's your first job--which I'm sure they'll have seen from your resume. It sounds pretty casual, and if it's anything like my own park jobs, it'll be a cinch to charm them. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: