Horrible, I can't stand it!
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
The da-what now?
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: "The Davinchi Code" Reply with quote

I just caught the movie, and having not read the book am pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised. I have the book on my "to be read" list, and I'm looking forward to it now!

The movie itself was good, mostly due to the story. I enjoyed the acting, I felt that none of it was over the top or overly showy...it was just all around solid and fit the characters.

Without giving any spoilers out, I have to admit that the story twisted in unexpected ways a few times! I was surprised by plot twists, which I found to be incredibly refreshing. Formula thrillers are great, but every once in a while it's fun to have a mental workout.

Being able to take absolutely no offense to the heavily religious (Or hereitcal, I suppose) plot of the movie will definitely help enjoyment. Go figure, I also really enjoyed "Dogma" and "Stigmata"

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bit of a soft spot for this film since it was the one I went on for my first date with my boyfrined (dawww/*blurk* take your pick!) but I enjoyed it. With regards to the book I didn't find it a literary masterpiece, but it was good fun and kept me interested. It's really one to take to the beach, since you can just drift along for the ride and not have to overheat your brain thinking too hard!
Anyone else appauled at the lack of sound physics in Angels and Demons? It didn't irritate me, but I did have to turn my inner physicist off because she kept throwing a hissy fit at it!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, The DaVinchi Code book & movie are way over-hyped. Razz Only thing good about the movie WAS the acting, but it was probably Tom Hanks' weakest film.

As for any religious offense...the premise of the movie shouldn't be offensive, as the subject has been in the rumor mill for a very long time, but the book has a very much anti-Catholic bias to it, which avoids being critical to save face and instead plays a little dirty with conspiracies. Then again, conspiracy theorist topics, even fictional ones such as this, don't interest Squee. Razz
horsin'around

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that movie. Very Happy

Then again, my standards aren't very high. I don't get out much. Razz

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Spindrifter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. Haven't seen the movie, but the book wasn't as good as Angels and Demons, one of the author's previous works.
unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the book and the movie, and was a little put off by all the griping that went around when Tom Hanks was cast as the lead, as I thought he did well in the part.

And by the way, it's "The Da Vinci Code" Wink
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the correction. I also liked Tom Hanks in the role, I thought it was one of his more solid performances. It fit quite well with his co-stars, I thought.

Actually I really like Tom Hanks. "Castaway" and "The Green Mile" are both incredible movies, though I definitely think his co-stars stole the show in TGM. I think a lot of people belittle his role as an actor because of how hugely popular his movies tend to be, because almost all of them have incredibly talented actors surrounding the lead. "Big" and "Sleepless in Seattle" are some more examples of that.

Then there's "Forest Gump" but...yeah. He's not a stagnant actor, that is to say that he pushes the limits of his talents, and takes roles that aren't things he has done before. I respect that of him.

Anyhow, back to the topic! The use of riddles that had multiple meanings really was one of the most enjoyable parts for me. Smile

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hanks is actually one of the best actors in Hollywood. Guy can actually act...as opposed to most in Hollywood Razz Still, Da Vinchi was his weakest performance Squee's seen. It's mostly the role itself though Razz
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Formulaic mush with a good publicist. A VERY VERY good publicist.

The film was better than the book though, i think - Dan Brown seems to be a writer who missed his calling - he should have been writing screenplays. All his books have a length and pacing that is VERY appropriate for film, but makes for a fairly short book.
Tamir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There, Spacey said it for me. ^_^ My thoughts to a T. (Except for the film being better than the book - I haven't seen the film)
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan. The author has been repeated tagged as a misanthrope and a plagiarist before. Besides these little scandals, what work *is* his doesn't really follow my conceptualization of rational discourse or a logical study of the potential of his claims.

It's basically a cute little frolick into early christian history, taking some facts where it wants, and conveniantly "adding" some others where it needs them. It's kinda silly in some places, to be honest. I guess, living in Oregon, wheresabout that it's not treated as the fiction that it is, I react a bit sharper than most. Still, I can appreciate a good romp as much as the rest of you. I don't regard it as Tom Hanks best work. I will forever laud Big.

Get off mah back, ok? It was a good movie!
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol we could turn it into a Tom Hanks thread XD

The movie wasn't the be all and end all of movies, it's just that I've been avoiding it for a long time because of the negative comments I'd heard about it. I was actually pleasantly surprised, since I went into the movie expecting it to be garbage.

Then again, I'm really good at suspension of disbelief Razz

Speaking of other actors, I forget the actor's name but the guy who played the professor (or "Teacher") was, I felt, incredible in his role!

[SPOILER]
And I totally didn't see the betrayal twist from the teacher coming, but maybe that's just me then...

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: