FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Summer Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree to differ, then. I enjoyed it. I didn't have high expectations, though.
Violabelle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall-E is so cute and sweet you guys!!!! <3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an urge to go and see The Forbidden Kingdom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkrpCqvcR0&amp;feature=related
Not out over here yet, and has a slightly hackney old plot line that'll hopefully be quite funny... heck the idea of teaching anyone decent martial arts in anything less than ten to fifteen years is quite funny, but it's a martial arts film with Jet Li and Jackie Chan in it!
I love martial arts films ^_^ (well the ones that aren't completely rubbish anyway.)
- Issa
CBB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violabelle wrote:
Wall-E is so cute and sweet you guys!!!! <3

I know!!! It's the first movie in years and years that I'm planning on seeing twice in the theater. Who knows-maybe even three times. It's too good to wait for the DVD!

I think it's among Pixar's best so far. Not the best IMHO-I like Incredibles and Finding Nemo more-but golly gee, Wall-E and Eva (NOT EVE...I refuse for her to be Eve! You know why? "Don't cry for me, plant-in-shoe-dirt...") are the cutest couple ever. Their interaction together is pure win. And all Wall-E wanted to do was hold hands...those two robots, ladies and gentlemen, blow Jack and Rose, Wolverine and Jean, and Jack/Will and Elizabeth out of the water. That's all there is to it.

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ¡bailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Squee saw Wall-E today and it's absolutely brilliant. At least two scenes brought tears to Squee's eyes (not unusual for even bad movies, but still) and it was funny and cute and just plain good Smile Squee does contest that it's Pixar's best though...Squee thinks Finding Nemo will keep its #1 for a while. But it's definitely in the running for best XD

Spoilers ahead...

Just on an interesting note...Squee found it very interesting how they dealt with some very real issues of today (environment, big business, even obesity) without villainizing ANYTHING. Heck, even the antagonist is only a set of unfortunate circumstances, and not an anthropomorphic malicious intent. It doesn't say this is bad and this is good, simply tells the story. It doesn't even ask the big questions.

I mean, the environmentalism message is blindingly obvious...but in the end, the message is what? Life goes on even if we ruin the planet today. At first it appears the movie places fault on the wastes and excesses of big business and modern society...Yet, we find out later that BnL (awesome name btw) was also solely responsible for saving humanity as well. They're not the bad guys, but the good guys in this film. So, some mistakes were made, but in the end, society pulls through. The film isn't so much a criticism of today's values, as a simple neutral observation, telling it as things are and passing few judgments.

Heck, even the obese humans, being the easy brunt of some laughs, were handled with much respect. What at first appears to be a criticism of popular culture's obsession with laziness and overindulgence turns out to be a side-effect of 700 years of low-gravity environment on what was intended to be....a pleasure cruise. Here though, we do finally see some criticizing, but still not villainizing. It wasn't people being lazy and becoming obese, distant from each other, and unaware of the world around them; it was the ship keeping humanity alive and as safe as possible. The movie says to the viewers, "Hey, get up and look around a bit" but doesn't blame them or anyone else for any of the problems. In fact, they're not particularly great stumbling blocks in the movie either.

In the end, the subtext of Wall-E is really quite interesting, because it really doesn't address current issues as we're used to it. Instead, it tells a really cute, really sweet story that anyone can love and understand. All those problems it shows in the movie that we've got today? It says they're real, but it shows us how they pale in importance to something each of us deals with far more often every day.

In fact, that's the real agenda of the movie. There's no hippy tree-hugging liberals (*cough* Squee is one--a liberal that is, not a hippy) trying to tell everyone how to fix the world. No, the movie's real message is how we get involved in our own lives, and all the other problems in the world fade in the background, just as all these issues were simply flavor to the story. And it tells us there's nothing wrong with that. Wall-E didn't save the planet. He didn't even save humanity. No, he simply did his job as best he could, while struggling with the ultimate issue in this world:

Our relationships with other people, whether friend, family, or lover.

And that is why the movie is so touching. It hits where it really matters, and leaves us wanting such a simple thing: to hold someone's hand.
unimportant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what else is there to say? XD I saw Wall-E too, yesterday, and while I wasn't quite as taken as you guys, I think it was a pretty great movie. Even just visually, it was a work of art! Highly political, though Wink Not that I mind, considering I agree with all the points they're making.
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall-E is pure love. Pure and simple love. <3
unimportant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dying to see Hellboy The Golden Army, but my sister and I are the only ones who really cared amongst our friends. But wouldn't you know it? THEY ALL WENT WITHOUT US WHILE WE HAD TO WORK ON SATURDAY! I swear if they spoil even the color of liz's clothes I'm punching them. In the face. With spikes.
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! :O But I'll have to wait a week before Hellboy 2 comes out in Open Caption. Sad

I'm curious, I've heard mixed review on Hancock, has anyone seen it?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not, but my sister has. She told me it was like the writers decided they were going to switch the plots in mid-movie. It was ok, she said, but the worst part was that they could have made it so much better. I still want to see it though. u_u
Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamma Mia! Here I go again! My, my, how can I resist it?
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha. Yesh! Abba! I can't wait to see that. X3
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was still in Fla with all my old galpals, they'd be so all over Mamma Mia...
**nostalgia**
**le sigh**
WALL-E.
Pure brilliance...
Check out...http://www.buynlarge.com/
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I decided that I really must see Wall-E. The closest theater playing it was 2.4 miles away. The showtime was listed as 6:50. The bus that would get me there in time came at 6:15. The time at which I made my decision? 6:16 PM.

So I walked. I stepped out my door at precisely 6:18 PM and arrived at the ticket counter at 7:02 PM, purchased my ticket, and strode in exactly as the pre-show cartoon ended. That was a pretty good travel time, especially considering that halfway there I discovered the main bridge over the river isn't open to pedestrian traffic. I had to detour two blocks out of my way to the nearest foot-bridge. I was very thirsty, so I was glad that the movie theater turned out to be one of those full-service places where they'll bring food and drinks straight to your seat in the theater.

And the verdict: another winner for Pixar! I'm impressed at how much story and characterization they conveyed in the first third of the movie even though their two main characters had a combined vocabulary of about five words ("Wall-E", "Eva", "Directive", "Classified", "No", and assorted interrogative/exclamatory noises). I seriously considered staying and watching it again, but the next showing didn't start till 9:20, and I didn't half fancy walking 2.4 miles home on an unfamiliar route at night.

The closing credits were superb -- I think I liked them almost more than the movie itself. I approve strongly of film makers who use the credits as an integrated part of the overall piece. It's a sign of true craftsmanship.

I really like basically everything that Pixar has ever done (though I didn't bother seeing "Cars"). That said, I have one gripe. Every single one of their movies has had a male protagonist. In fact, almost all of their characters are male. They've certainly produced films with female characters, and done a good job with those characters (Elastigirl and Shrinking Violet from The Incredibles were very well done). But they've never made a film in which the one main protagonist is female. And usually, the male characters outnumber the female characters by two or even three to one. Their films are great, and I love them, but it'd be nice to have a Pixar film with a female protagonist so I can give it to my seven-year-old cousin and she can see that girls, too, can be anthropomorphized toys/fish/vehicles/rats/robots/blobs.
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my lord. Poll; Guillermo Del Toro Fan club!!!!!!!!!!

HELLBOY 2 WAS AMAZING. I love Krauss and that goblin/wheelbarrow guy. <3 GO SEE IT. OR I WILL KILL YOU. REALLY. GO WATCH IT.

i think i want to see hancock, too....
'I want you, bleeders......'
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: