FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Summer Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

unimportant

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about the new Mummy movie. I freakin LOVED the first two, finest in pseudo historical based action out there, really. But a Mummy movie with a different Evey AND no Imhotep? I don't know, I'm skeptical.

I am stoked for Batman though, and I'm willing to give Heath's Joker a chance. Although, you're right Lady. It's the evil charm that's missing. He's practically a different character without it. And in regards to The Hulk, I stand by the statement it is just one of those comics that will never make a good movie. I may yet be proven wrong, but from what I see in the previews, I'm not holding my breath. Just my opinion, of course.

And, when does the X Files movie come out? Probably not this summer, but still. Heck yeah, I'm seeing that.
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiru04 wrote:
I lost my taste for movie-going after enduring a really crappy job at a movie theater. It doesn't help that the theater I worked at, which is infamous for how poorly it treats its employees, is the only one within a reasonable distance from my house.

I was tempted to go see Speed Racer. I guess I'm stuck waiting for the DVD release.

If you don't want to make your already bad movie experiences worse, I would suggest forgetting that the Speed Racer movie ever existed. My brother saw it on IMAX in 3D and said it was still terrible.
iheartearthsong

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww. But I love the Speed Racer cartoon! Sad Anyways, I just went to see Prince Caspian today and it was awesome! It definitely wasn't as true to the book as the first one, but I thought the book was boring so I was okay with that. It was better than the first movie too.
Movies i'm looking forward to:
Batman: Dark Knight
Iron Man
Ice Age 3
Wall.E
The Mummy 3
X-files
City of Ember
Movies I'm not:
Indiana Jones (everyone I've talked to says it's stupid)
Speed Racer Sad
Sex and the City
The Hulk 2
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
Hell Boy 2
High School Musical 3 (I think I'm gonna be sick)
Squeeself

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...a little background. When Squee saw the Ironman trailers a long time ago, Squee thought to Squeeself, "Man, that movie is gonna be lame and stupid..." After reading fantastic reviews about it though, Squee decided to go see it. Squee was never much of a comic person, though Squee does know some basics about Ironman, and was expecting a pretty shallow plotline at the very least.

Squee instead was highly impressed. Sure it wasn't the world's greatest plot, but not only was it entertaining, it's the first time in a long time Squee has seen Hollywood actually sell a character change. Hollywood blunders character changes all the time. To have someone go from a rich jerk with no heart to a rich jerk with a heart...well, there are more ways to blunder it than Squee can count. But they managed to not do it. Heck, they even made a blatant reference to it in the movie. Smile They made a guy go from "Meh" to very likable. By far the best comic hero transformation I've seen. For once, a Hollywood writer knew what he was doing...and it was refreshing to see that kind of character focus in blockbuster movie.

The actual plot was meh. Ok villain until the end when the writers decide to say, "Hey, we need a big battle sequence now, let's make the villain do some big stuff." But despite that, Squee likes Ironman far more than any of the other comic movies to date, including spidermans & batman. Besides, the design software and hardware Stark was using made Squee giggle with youthful glee at wishing to have that kind of thing. Mmm...holograms...

Squee's really looking forward to see next batman of course, gonna try to see Prince Caspian & Indy Jones soon. Squee's heard Caspian is great, and that Jones isn't as good as the originals, but still worth a watch. Squee also wants Will Smith's upcoming movie Hancock that had a trailer before Ironman. From what I've heard, it looks to be interesting (and honestly, Will Smith's movies are never flops...) Also excited for Pixar's upcoming Wall·E.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, yes! Wall.E looks adorable ^_^ Aside from Cars, which wasn't that bad really, Pixar hasn't done anything that I haven't liked so I'm very much looking forward to it!

My only worry about Indy is this Shia LaBoeuf character... PLEASE don't let him be like his character in Transformers. I think I'd die.
Lani

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Shia might be able to pull of the Harrison Ford-esque charm. Maybe. He has that "who, me?" flair that made Han Solo and Indy so endearing. Maybe. I'm not betting anything after watching WAY too many "Evens Stevens" re-runs.

I now posses a Bachelor of Science in secondary education. I am excited.
iheartearthsong

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that show! I also really liked him in the Disney movie Holes. I did NOT like him in Transformers! Then agian, I just generally didn't like Transformers. Call me crazy, but the non-kid-friendly type thing for that movie was a realy turn off. I'm really not quite sure what to think of this Shia guy.
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to give any respect to Mr. TheBeef simply because he seems to be constantly type-cast as the annoying childish sidekick who always gets the main character in all kinds of scrapes. I refer to Even Sevens, I, Robot, Constantine and even the infamous Transformers to an extent. They seem to be trying to turn him into an object of adoration, but he just doesn't do it for me! Still, I can't wait to see the new Indy, even though it's only in my local cinema for one night in the middle of my exams. Huzzah for DVDs!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Allicat, Shia LeBeouf being in a film wouldn't put me off seeing it but I think there are far better actors. And is it me or does he only have one expression?
Allicat

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of bemused terror, isn't it? Even as a penguin he looks confused!

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Tamir

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, Shia was in I, robot? *looks it up*
Ohhh, right. Worst character in the movie.

Not really interested in any of the summer movies, actually. Neutral I might have lost my taste for them.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to see Indy tonight, this should be interesting. . .
unimportant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just saw Indiana Jones, and I gotta say. I liked it but...Woah. I don't even know if Steven Speilberg knew what was going on. Comments.

1. I am now fairly certain George Lucas had a major role to play in the dialouge, which I hope tells you something.

2. Stargate SG-1 and National Treasure called, they want their plot points and sets back.

3. Despite it's corniness, stiff moments, and predictability, it was a lot of fun. After the reviews I'd read, it was what I'd expected and I enjoyed myself. Except for one nasty scene with ants, it just seemed like a great summer movie. And the ant scene wasn't even that bad, just sort of shocking really. I like Shia a lot as an actor, and I thought he did well. I know I know, I'm probably the only one. Rolling Eyes If you're going to see it, though, the one thing I'd highly recommend is bracing yourself for some of the worst delivered dialogue in a century. I kid you not, I thought they were joking for awhile, except they weren't. Also, get ready to tell yourself mid-way through the movie "I cannot believe that's actually the story".

But still, it's fun ^^
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unimportant wrote:

1. I am now fairly certain George Lucas had a major role to play in the dialouge, which I hope tells you something.

Oh definitely. Nothing was quite as bad as "You're breaking my heart, Anakin" but it came close.
I saw it tonight too, and it was fun, but nowhere near as good as the first three movies.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Prince Caspian on Saturday...Absolutely loved it. Much better than the first movie, and the first movie was pretty good. But maybe that's because it's a darker film with more mature themes to it...and yet, there was a 3 or 4 year old sitting behind me crying the whole movie Mad Not something to bring young children to, imho. It's not exactly sweet like Lion, Witch, Wardrobe was, and quite a bit more frightening than the first.

I haven't read the books in ages, but it followed the book pretty close to what I remember. My biggest disappointment was it felt somewhat lacking in depth from what I remember in the book, but that's hard to fit in a movie. Still, a great movie and worth the watch. C.S. Lewis is great Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: