FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Today: Eigenspace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was wet all day long - school's not the best place for drying off after heavy rain.

Today I don a dress.
unimportant

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was high school graduation, and I was up until 4 AM at the senior celebration thing. I'm exhausted, but wow. It was fun.

Oh, and by the way, I do not recommend cigars. I had one because it's a tradition to smoke cigars on the Cathedral steps, where we graduate, and I could not and did not want to finish it. They're revolting, and whoever invented them was ill. Still, it was a fun experience all the same ^^.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Fable!!

Today was our senior-banquet thingy. It was funny, and I got pointed out for always having a book. In three years, I will only be remembered as a shadow in the back corner of a classroom with my nose stuck in a book.

Today was my last day of classes - one presentation, one exam, and then it's graduation!
Miho

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today... I am a bum

I have nothing to do... all i've done is go to work and eat.

Today I watched the thin red line. pretty good movie I thought.

Today I learned that my good ol' boyfriend of mine wants to be a CRO in the airforce when he gets back. I'm utterly terrified for the boy. *shudder*
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I broke in my spiffy new mini-server. It's running Ubuntu Linux (server edition) and working very smoothly as a combined file server and web development sandbox for my home network. I'm very pleased. It eats very little electricity (less than 12 watts most of the time), has ample computing power for my purposes (1.6 Ghz processor, 2 GB RAM), and cost fairly little (USD $310 for everything, including shipping).

And it's utterly silent. There are no fans at all, the whole thing is cooled with heatsinks and nothing more. The only moving part is the hard drive, which is a laptop hard drive and so quiet that I couldn't hear it running even when I had the case off and held my ear to it.

Also, I had a meeting and finally FINALLY got some headway on this contract job that's been percolating for the last, oh, twelve months.

Today I'm a happy Tin-man. ^_^
sunshine

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I post wedding pics! Very Happy

... and my back itches like crazy. Stupid peeling sunburn having to be in the one and only place I can't scratch at myself -_-

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Merlenyn

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am sewing... again. Wheee sewing!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went to give my exam presentation, but my teacher wasn't there! So I got to give it to another teacher who was filling in for her.

Today I feel guilty about getting an easy grade.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have had a rather lovely day.

This morning I had my second exam, it did not go very well, it didn't go badly either. Then I got the marks for two of my essays, they're pretty good.

What made today so nice was that after my exam I took my mum to one of my favourite cafes for lunch and afterwards we took Jet to the park. Today is a gorgeous sunny day and the park was fun, my mum bought ice cream, which of course I had to share with Jet. Jet had a fun time rolling in the grass and chasing a ball, she's six years old and the fastest dog I've ever seen, yet she hasn't mastered stopping so when she was chasing the ball she fell and rolled few times.

She's a dingbat.

Yes, today has been a lovely day, the only thing bringing me down is that I have an exam next week and this is the one that I'm really worried about. But it was nice to just relax and have some fun for a while. I also took some pictures but I can't show them yet because I left the camera at my dad's house. I also am a dingbat.
unimportant

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I am ready to slow down a bit, but I cannot. In two days, I'm off on my senior road trip, which largely manifested because I wouldn't let it die, and now we're all driving up north and camping for four days, which is going to be SO AWESOME! But I'll be out of it by the first night, I am so sure...

Today I wonder if anyone has any last minute camping advice?
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear sunscreen Wink Also, make sure your food is thoroughly cooked.

Beyond that, it really depends where you're camping and how. But whatever happens, have fun =)
Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pitch your tent on the side of a hill; take duct tape; don't cook inside your tent; pitch your tent at home before you go so you know if you've got everything; take a really sharp survival knife - preferably one that if drawn across your hand should cut down to the bone without any real pressure behind it, (uh don't test it that way >_<) Bring extra matches, ground pegs and some decent lengths of cord incase you need to repair any of the lines.

If you're going somewhere with lots of animal attacks take a really big gun Laughing
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal attacks really aren't that big a problem. Really. Just don't keep food (or anything with a strong odor) in your tent, and keep your distance from any animals you encounter. Guns are counterproductive, they make you overconfident. Not to mention they're heavy, expensive, dangerous without proper training, and there are often legal restrictions on who can use them for what and where (which vary wildly from one jurisdiction to another).

What is it with Brits and nature? When I was living over there I had several people express nervousness at the idea of living in such a wild area as the one I'm from. (Take a walk on the wild side -- visit metropolitan Denver!) Rolling Eyes Oh, and once on the BBC I saw one of those reality TV shows where they follow someone around in a foreign country -- it was a British girl who visited Australia, and locked herself into a truck at the site of an emu 20 feet distant. The Aussies in the show laughed themselves silly.

Once in Leeds I had a conversation like this:

Me: Yeah, it'd be like trying to herd cats.

British girl I was talking with: That's horrible!

Me: What?

Her: The RSPCA has a lot to say about that.

Me: OH! No no no -- not "hurt," H E R D herd. With a D on the end.

Her: Herd? What's that mean?

Me: <blinks in astonishment>

Me: You know, like herding sheep. Herd? Shepherd?

Her: <stares at me blankly>

Me: You get a group of cats and try to make all of them go in the same direction at once.

Her: Oh! <laughs>

I had to go one to explain that the verb "to herd" can extend to marshalling any group of animals (or people, or whatever) into going someplace. To this day it boggles my mind that anyone in the English speaking world could have grown to university age without ever having learned the verb "to herd." Even if you've lived in cities your entire life, it's hard to avoid learning at least a little bit about how farms work (in theory at least). There was a Chinese girl walking with us, and she recognized the "herding cats" idiom instantly despite working in a second language.
Allicat

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to pitch under a tree. Bird poop is not easy to wash off, and if it rains the drops off the tree are unbelievably loud!

Do not poke sleeping bears.

Today I got a phone call from my friend saying "Let's go to the beach!" Turns out some mutual friends of ours are coming up, but I have work from 1-9pm Crying or Very sad It's so beautiful out today and I'm stuck insiiiiiiide *wails*

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinalles wrote:
What is it with Brits and nature?

I would - and indeed do - go as heavily armed as I can when I'm out and about around any large dangerous animals; especially the most dangerous animal of them all: the hairless monkey, (also known as 'human.') It's not specifically a grudge against nature, it's just caution. Better to have one and not need it than.... well you know the rest of the bumper sticker, but it's still true.

Of course if you don't know what you're doing with it then you're not really armed in any appreciable sense anyway.
- Issa
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 99 of 100

Jump to: