FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Oz
Goto page Previous  1, 2

unimportant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparrow wrote:
Hmm... I liked the movie well enough, although I got a headache when I watched it through with the pink floyd album...

Aww man, I still need to do that!
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
The second book he wrote was called "The Adventures of the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman" or something like that, and it was the only one that didn't have the word Oz in the title. But it was the second, and it appears to be missing from your list.

That's not one of the primary canon. There have been several books with similar titles. In 1904 W. W. Denslow published Denslow's Scarecrow and the Tinman and other stories. It was a picture book; Denslow was the illustrator of the very first Oz book. Note that this book does not actually take place in Oz; instead, it involves actors playing the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow on leave in New York. Around the same time, Denslow produced a series of Oz comic strips published in newspapers between 1904 and 1905. Denslow never illustrated any other Oz books, due to a bitter quarrel with L. Frank Baum over who deserved more credit. They also quarreled over royalties from the fabulously successful stage production, and over ownership of the copyright. Denslow bought an island in Bermuda with his share, but later fell on hard times, sold it, and passed into obscurity till his death of pneumonia in 1915. All the subsequent canonical Oz books were illustrated by John R. Neill.

Another possible candidate for your book is Baum's book The Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman, but this was definitely not the second book, since it wasn't published until 1913 (the very first one came out in 1900 and there were several canonical titles published in between). This book was aimed at an even younger audience that usual, as part of the "Little Wizard Series".

For more info on W. W. Denslow, I refer you to the Dictionary of Literary Biography; for more than you could ever need to know about books in the Oz series or relating thereto, I refer you to the comprehensive Books of Oz database. And for up-to-the-minute Oz news, you may wish to check out the The Daily Ozmapolitan.

I am SUCH an Oz junkie. ^_^;;
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no, I'm pretty sure we're missing each other here. I read the book and in his foreword Baum said, "Yes, it's been a while, but the stage production was so fabulously successful people have been bugging me to write a second book, so I have, starring the two most beloved actors from the production, and dedicated to the Tin Woodman."

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L. Frank Baum wrote:
Author's Note

After the publication of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" I began to receive letters from children, telling me of their pleasure in reading the story and asking me to "write something more" about the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman. At first I considered these little letters, frank and earnest though they were, in the light of pretty compliments; but the letters continued to come during succeeding months, and even years.

Finally I promised one little girl, who made a long journey to see me and prefer her request,--and she is a "Dorothy," by the way--that when a thousand little girls had written me a thousand little letters asking for another story of the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman, I would write the book. Either little Dorothy was a fairy in disguise, and waved her magic wand, or the success of the stage production of "The Wizard of Oz" made new friends for the story. For the thousand letters reached their destination long since--and many more followed them.

And now, although pleading guilty as to a long delay, I have kept my promise in this book.

L. Frank Baum
Chicago, June, 1904.

That's the author's note from Book 2. The full title from the first edition of Book 2 was "The Marvelous Land of Oz -- Being an account of the further adventures of the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman, and also the strange experiences of the Highly Magnified Woggle Bug, Jack Pumpkinhead, the Animated Saw-Horse and The Gump, the story being A Sequel to The Wizard of Oz". The title proper is just "The Marvelous Land of Oz", and in later printings it was sometimes shortened to just "The Land of Oz" (as for example in the Del Rey printing of 1979).

So maybe you were thinking of the sub-title?
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Thanks for setting me straight, that was what I was thinking of. ^_^ Hurrah for your superior academic skills!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: