FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Earthsong: The Sapphire Guard - OOC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's
Author Message
Tenshi



Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 2594
Location: Star Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of advice, and echoing Sunny and Space's words:

Running an RPG is kind of like competing for control. The players are always going to want to explore the world, and they'll sometimes completely ignore a main plotline to do this. Alternately, they can be goaded into focusing so single-mindedly on a task that they miss the +15 Sword of Awesomeness sitting in front of them.. A couple RPG "rules" exist. (These are intended to be humorous Razz)

- The more detail an object has, the more important it must be to the story.
(This can be countered by objects that are quickly, or completely glossed over. Sometimes players will take this to mean they're "hidden goodies" that they MUST tear to pieces to discover)

- NPCs without names will, invariably, die very soon.

- No NPC is worth more than the information the PC wants. Even kings are treated as servants and knowledge sponges for the PC to use.

- Every dungeon has treasure. If the GM flat-out says there is no treasure, it must be well hidden treasure.

- It is the player's job to derail the campaign and go traipsing off into the wilderness for no real reason. Players are the single most creatively destructive forces in the campaign. Every hole in the story that exposes an alternate route will lead to a mini-quest of the PC's design.

- It is the GM's job to present a campaign in which the players can explore a little bit, but are generally corralled into doing what the campaign needs to continue.

Running an open-ended RPG like ES RPG may be more like herding cats than anything. I think all four of the other RPGs have severely limiting factors to them. In Bering, we're in a ship (Treasure Hunters shares that, at the moment). Mecha Knights has orders given by the Queen, and Vampire Hunters...well, how much freedom does an underground resistance movement have?

Edit: Oh, but for the record, as I've been a GM before I don't try and derail campaigns generally. I really only have a tendency toward that when I feel like I'm being railroaded toward the GM's goal, with absolutely zero say in my character's decisions.
_________________
. Dubbed "Usagi" by AsA .
Keeper of the Siderean Swords

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton


Last edited by Tenshi on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 5304'N 853'E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I would also prefer to let the player edit their post.

But in this case I think there'd be so much to edit that he'd end up having to create entirely new posts anyway, so simple removing the old posts and starting over would be simpler for everyone involved.

But I also agree that we'll need to let Fool have a say in the matter before taking any actions.
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Resident Fool



Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad guys, I slipped up. I guess I was too loopy from caffeine, and way too excited about the roleplay. I not only jumped the gun - I completely flew over it.

I'm completely fine with having all of that deleted. It wasn't my best writing anyway. I'm none too proud of it.




Oh, and next time I decide to stay up all night by drinking Amp... please, all of you, hit me. Several times. With large, heavy, blunt objects.
_________________
This is my old account, which I'm switching back to. I was Its_Chris_The_Dude.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
YatesOfYore
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 885

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure you don't want to save it, just in case? How 'bout I PM you the text that way you've got it stored somewhere Wink

*is going to do so whether you like it or not! lol...*
_________________
Keeper of Nanashi's Vambraces and the Amethyst Trees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Resident Fool



Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd really rather just re-write it later. Like I said, not my best quality writing. I've done much better. ;P

Thanks anyway, though. XD I guess it's there in case I get super-lazy? o.O
_________________
This is my old account, which I'm switching back to. I was Its_Chris_The_Dude.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
YatesOfYore
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 885

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... no worries Wink

Alright everyone, it's all cleared up now and ready to go - see you in there Wink
_________________
Keeper of Nanashi's Vambraces and the Amethyst Trees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Resident Fool



Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY. SO. Just to make sure that I got things right this time (come to think of it, going off on his lonesome was a very out-of-character thing for Dimble to do, anyway. I need to stop drinking caffiene.), because I'm still a little loopy from the whole not-going-to-bed-last-night thing....


We're starting off at "home base". Likely, everybody is gathered together in one spot, which makes sense. We're actually going to roleplay out Ailurin telling everyone that "hey, there's a birdie coming towards us," which really makes a whole lot more sense and I don't know why I didn't think that way earlier.

So does that mean, at the start, everyone would be gathered together for an official/unofficial meeting of sorts to decide what to do? Now that I'm in a more right state of mind, that makes the most sense to me.




Oh, and as a side-note. I don't think that you should have been nice and waited for me like that; since I stepped out of line, it would have been perfectly fine to just wipe out the posts and start anew, without delaying things for my benefit; espec. when it was my fault in the first place. Wink
_________________
This is my old account, which I'm switching back to. I was Its_Chris_The_Dude.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
thespaceinvader



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 650
Location: Cardiff, UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- The more detail an object has, the more important it must be to the story.
(This can be countered by objects that are quickly, or completely glossed over. Sometimes players will take this to mean they're "hidden goodies" that they MUST tear to pieces to discover)


This is one you generally want to avoid if at all possible. it makes the game quite uninteresting if the plot point is the only thing that gets any descriptive love in the room upon entry. Better to describe everything at the same level and give the players a chance to explore properly. The best GMs i've read about will give players a bonus if they explore properly (I remember one example (may have come from tvtropes actually)) in which there was a magical sheath knife hidden underneath a table used for negotiations in an abandoned room. The GM described the table in detail, but didn't mention the knife. If a player checked under the table, he got the knife. If not, noone did. Little touches like that are good.
_________________
Keeper of Tristram's rings, and Felucca's very expressive ears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theBSDude



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 1800
Location: The boring part of Washington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now that we got that taken care of, I have some character questions.

How are everyone's names pronounced? Most of 'em are obvious: Lilith, Samson, etc.; but Cochinell, Ailurin, Ruthven, and Tethys... not so much.

This wouldn't matter normally, but Jagger would have nicknames for everyone. Usually something simple: Lily, Rocky, Milkman, or Blue Girl, but I'd want to make sure I wasn't mispronoucing anything.
_________________
...In accordance with the prophesy.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
The Resident Fool



Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimble's name is pronounced just as it's spelled. I like to keep things simple as far as names go.
_________________
This is my old account, which I'm switching back to. I was Its_Chris_The_Dude.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JackAce



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 673
Location: 5304'N 853'E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Resident Fool wrote:
We're starting off at "home base". Likely, everybody is gathered together in one spot, which makes sense. We're actually going to roleplay out Ailurin telling everyone that "hey, there's a birdie coming towards us," which really makes a whole lot more sense and I don't know why I didn't think that way earlier.

So does that mean, at the start, everyone would be gathered together for an official/unofficial meeting of sorts to decide what to do? Now that I'm in a more right state of mind, that makes the most sense to me.


I'd rather expect that we're all going about our daily buisiness and Ailurin just storms in and spreads the news to anyone he meets on his way in.
_________________

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Resident Fool



Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, that also makes sense. In that case, do you think it'd be easier to have an Ailurin post first? Or should a couple of us make posts of our characters going about their business so that Ailurin has someone in a fixed position to interact with?
_________________
This is my old account, which I'm switching back to. I was Its_Chris_The_Dude.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
YatesOfYore
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 885

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way would be fine, that way you don't HAVE to wait for Tin. But everyone's in the fortress at the moment... let's say it's just after they've all finished lunch. One is always on scout duty though and it happened to be Ailurin at the time.
_________________
Keeper of Nanashi's Vambraces and the Amethyst Trees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Resident Fool



Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Oh, and by the way. What does the fortress look like? Like the haven, with stone walls/cielings but no floors? Or more like a traditional medieval fortress?
_________________
This is my old account, which I'm switching back to. I was Its_Chris_The_Dude.

I was dubbed Chan by Asa, just 'cause.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tinalles
Site Admin


Joined: 22 Mar 2008
Posts: 1630
Location: Grand Forks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've posted. I figure with a subterranean place like this, they haven't got a tower for lookout duty; they've got a hummock. Basically I'm envisioning as a hollow outcropping of abdite sticking up from the tundra, where someone can see out in any direction without being seen. I figure there's probably a spiral staircase leading up to it from below.

EDIT: Oh, and RF, the impression I've gotten is that the fortress (which needs a name) is mostly subterranean tunnels, probably with abdite skylights.
_________________
Keeper of The Remnant Minuon (cognomen Lucy, the Eaten One) and the Emissary Caeli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 3 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Elveron phpBB theme/template by Ulf Frisk and Michael Schaeffer
Copyright Ulf Frisk, Michael Schaeffer 2004


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group