FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

devilman2045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Opinions Reply with quote

I was planning on writing a book at one point in my life, and actually had a small portion of it written (read very small portion), and a fairly good outline of it. Needless to say, that's long since past, and the book was never written.

I'm starting to think that I'd like to get into the writing scene again, and would like to do a continuing story online, like post a chapter online every week or so, similar to how Lady does a page every week. I was hoping that you all could tell me if that's something you think would catch fire on the internet, and at that, how I would go about obtaining a copy right for it?
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand of US copyright law, your works are copyrighted if they are published into a public domain. You may also want to obtain a proper copyright in case of infringement (if you're concerned about that). There's a wealth of information in this PDF file about it all. Registering your copyright with the government isn't free, however.

As for it "catching on" on the internet, I think that largely depends on the style and caliber of the writing. Also, you have to know your target audience. If you're making an opinion book, your target audience may be mostly bloggers and so on. If you're making an "observations about life" book...well, it'll still mostly be bloggers, but more philosophy bloggers. If it's a normally novel-length story, I know that personally I prefer to sit down for hours at a time and chew through novels like crazy. I'm not sure I fit into your target audience there, but they're probably still out there.

Anyhow, hope that helps. Good luck!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
devilman2045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
As for it "catching on" on the internet, I think that largely depends on the style and caliber of the writing. Also, you have to know your target audience. If you're making an opinion book, your target audience may be mostly bloggers and so on. If you're making an "observations about life" book...well, it'll still mostly be bloggers, but more philosophy bloggers. If it's a normally novel-length story, I know that personally I prefer to sit down for hours at a time and chew through novels like crazy. I'm not sure I fit into your target audience there, but they're probably still out there.

It would be a fiction story.... an actual story. Kind of in a novel since... but all ficiton.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he meant was posting in installments v posting it all at once.

If you want you can post it in the Writing Section first to see what the response is, then post it online. Alternatively, there are sites like Fictionpress.com and others that give an online copyright as soon as you post, and make uploading chapters very easy indeed.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
devilman2045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asa wrote:
If you want you can post it in the Writing Section first to see what the response is, then post it online. Alternatively, there are sites like Fictionpress.com and others that give an online copyright as soon as you post, and make uploading chapters very easy indeed.

I think I will do that. I didn't realize how expensive a copyright was. Thanks AsA!!!!
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. My pseudonym on fictionpress.com is Aspiring Author, feel free to check it out! ^_~

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, formally registering a copyright is overkill. Just slap a copyright notice on it and give it a go. If it gets popular enough that you start making money off it, THEN you can register a copyright formally.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save each chapter as a separate file then computer a timestamped cryptographic hash function based on the file, never alter the file after this or you'll change the hash function mind, and publish the hash function through a source that can verify your identity. Should an issue of copyright ever come up you can prove that the hash function derives from the file and thus authenticate your ownership.
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a checksum.
Nem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptographic hash functions tend to be much more mathematically complex than a checksum, making them harder to mess around with, although I guess the principle is the same.

Edit: Or at least according to the wiki article I should say.
- Issa
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true; but plain old CRC check sums and what-have-you actually don't protect against modification of the file very well. They're great against accidental file corruption, but fairly easy for a human being with malicious intent to spoof. So hashing functions like MD5 and the SHA series work better.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could put it on a CD and mail it to yourself - the postal service will timestamp it too. Just don't open the envelope.
Nem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't stand up in a British court, well not if the other person was competent at attacking you, since you can mail yourself an empty envelope and then put whatever in it; I don't know whether American courts are different.
- Issa
electricpanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some kind of sealing thing? I don't know, I was only told this. I'm not overly concerned with copyright. I don't think my stuff's really good enough to steal, and even if it were, I don't expect I'd have the resources to fight it.

Alternately, you may be able to deposit it in a bank, or something.
devilman2045

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
It wouldn't stand up in a British court, well not if the other person was competent at attacking you, since you can mail yourself an empty envelope and then put whatever in it; I don't know whether American courts are different.

Actually a "competent" person would realize you couldn't fight this if you had burned it to a cd and mailed it to yourself. You just plug the cd into your computer, find the file, right click, and click properties. It would show you when it was last edited/burned to the cd. At this point, if that time/date doesn't line up with the copyright registered to the offender, it would put a slight hole in their copyright(s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Written Word All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: