FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Good ol' oldie oldies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Good ol' oldie oldies Reply with quote

Hi all, been wanting to make my own thread for a while, but what is there to discuss that already hasn't been discussed? Music came to mind and I like talking about music, so why don't we?

Who else likes oldies? Well myself, I don't like every type of old music just some songs here and there that reminds of long ago...and the Beatles! My gosh, I swear they are my favorite band ever! I can go on forever about them.

Speaking of which, my cutie 8 year old sister has a crush on John Lennon. Isn't that cute? I think my Beatleyness is rubbing of on her XD

I guess I can also say I have a general distaste of today's music. Come on, Fergie? Girlicious? Please...there has to be something out there better than that. Any good music from today at all?

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhh... I'm mostly metal core, myself, so I'm not sure if you want my suggestions. I can reccomend some good, low-profanity stuff if you are interested.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into metal stuff. I'm actually picky with my music. But sure, I'm otherwise interested.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
theBSDude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant low-profanity metal. Not always easy to find.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love oldies - they've got such an awesome carefree vibe to them most of the time. That isn't to say that I don't like modern music though - I love it. I'm a huge concert junkie - I love live music.

Any Frank Sinatra fans in da house? I've got almost as many Sinatra albums as I do Smashing Pumpkins. Almost.
GoddessDragonsbane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too keen on frank sinatra. I think my dad overplayed him when i was younger. I love Dean Martin though. He's got a lovley voice.
GoddessDragonsbane = Dragon = Drag = Brag
Nem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin, Bon Jovi, Chad Brock, Metallica, Mozart, Carl Orff, Beethoven. Really just depends what mood I'm in. Haven't listened to too much music from the 90s yet.
- Issa
devilman2045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into punk, and punk pop. But I've been known to listen to a bit of grundge, and Death Metal.

Some my favortie bands are Bowling for Soup, Nightwish, Greenday, and My Chemical Romance.

I also listen to Tickle me Pink, Pop Evil, Linkin Park, Styx, The Love Hammers, The Verve Pipe, and Nickleback.... What do you all think about those bands?
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my Pandora playlists are any indication...

Flogging Molly, Metallica, Seether, Chevelle, Loreena McKinnett, Freezepop, Apocalyptica, Panic at the Disco, Pachelbel, Foo Fighters, Sarah McLachlan, Pink Floyd, and Third Eye Blind.

You should see my collection of MP3 files, I have around 2.5G of very assorted music..

The Oldies are good though, usually made even better by the fact that, no matter what town you're in, SOME station will come through clearly with Oldies. Almost like Country, which is a bit less thrilling.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
devilman2045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
Flogging Molly, Metallica, Seether, Chevelle, Loreena McKinnett, Freezepop, Apocalyptica, Panic at the Disco, Pachelbel, Foo Fighters, Sarah McLachlan, Pink Floyd, and Third Eye Blind.

I like Metallica and Panic @ The Disco as well....
sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tenshi - only 2.5? Between mine and my fiance's computers we have close to a terabyte of MP3s XD

We both lean heavily towards classic rock and blues, though I sit more on the folksy end of the spectrum, whereas he prefers his heavier rock.

I listen to so many bands and genres I couldn't even begin to name them all here, though the list gets noticeably slimmer once you start getting out of the early 90's grunge scene and into the confusion that seems to be the predominant theme running through most genres nowadays.

Lesse... bands with a larger chunk of songs on my iTunes are... AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Alice in Chains, Allman Brothers, Amon Tobin, Animal Alpha, BB King, Barenaked Ladies, Beach Boys, Beatles, Billy Idol, Black Crowes, Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, Bruce Springsteen, Buddy Guy, Bush... and that's only through the B's ^_^;; I've also got obscene amounts of Gov't Mule, Henry Rollins (spoken word stuff, not Black Flag) and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tyris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't tend to think of Classic Rock as being "oldies," despite the "classic" in the name. Then you find a song you like, look up the band and find out the members are all either fogeys or dead...
We're never going to see most of our favourite bands live. Sad

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my favorite artists have been dead for hundreds of years...

Yep, I love Classical music. About 90% of my love for music goes to classical, the rest is split unevenly between New Age (which I think of as a lighter version of classical, so does it really count as a separate category?), Celtic, soundtracks to musicals like Newsies, Oklahoma and Phantom of the Opera, and miscellaneous else. The proportions of the last 10% fluctuate constantly, so I really wouldn't be put them in any sort of fixed order.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing that comes to my mind is the yellow polka dot biniki song.

I love musicals, dont know if that applies here. Some of my favorites are Sound of the Music, South Pacific, and King and I.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to occupy an odd little spot (in terms of musical taste) that rest evenly between folk, pop and techno, liking each of them when mixed with something else but not the furthest extremes of each. E.g, liking Angus and Julia Stone but not Bob Dylan, Björk but not Britney, Goldfrapp but not whatever big techno people there are.

On my playlist right now is Air, Angus and Julia Stone, Architecture in Helsinki, Björk, Camille, David Bowie, Elsiane, Feist, Garbage, Gnarls Barkley, Goldfrapp, Gorillaz, Gotye, Joni Mitchell, José Gozález, M.I.A, New Buffalo, P.J Harvey, Portishead, Rasputina, Róisín Murphy, Sarah Blasko and Yann Tiersen. I've been lusting after The Presets, Tori Amos, PNAU, Ladyhawke and Holly Throsby, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: