FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Earthsong RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of it more like electricity. The home planet's resonance is the electric current, which is available in abundance. The soulstone is a transformer, which can only take so much load before going BLOOEY and leaving little bits of someone all over the landscape.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you were thinking of electricity, which was why I used a different metaphor XD Me and electricity = not great friends.

Actuall,y me and most of science = not great friends, for most the part. If I can't see it, chances are it's not going to be easy to explain to me without some kind of metaphor :p
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rin-tin-tin wrote:
the child can keep channeling those 120 watts indefinitely.

But wouldn't there by wear and tear of usage over time? Wires wear out, don't they? And even if they don't I'd suggest editing the model to take into account the organic nature of the children - they're not copper, they're flesh-and-blood-or-the-equivalent, and would wear out. Like, you can channel 120 watts at a consistent level indefinitely, but over time it'll get harder and harder to control.

This is my opinion, and nobody has to listen to it, since I'm not playing, but I like conversations like this and thought I'd add my two cents.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
sunshine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of measuring the powers by how much, rather than how often, is going to work a lot better for the kinds of powers we have in the group, such as my Ariel's flying, Ailurin's botanical control, Lilith's fire, etc. etc.

I do however think that a duration limit should be applied, simply because they are people rather than copper wire, and even if the energy to fuel the power never ceases they're still going to have to work within the limits of how long their own bodies can handle channeling that energy before wearing down.

Since this isn't going to be a dice-based game I don't think we should try to miro-manage exactly how much, how long, and how often each character can use their powers, but general limitations should probably be established. Like my character Ariel can, say, hover in the air indefinitely, fly around like someone with wings can for about a day or two, or once a day can carry something really heavy (like oh, say, a 10ft tall rockbiter) in the air with her. And if she starts to use her powers too much she steadily becomes worse at controlling things like how fast she's going, how precisely she can navigate, and how well she can maintain altitude, until eventually passing out from exhaustion when her body reaches its limit.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sunny: Suddenly losing control and smacking into the ground whilst carrying a ten foot rockbiter would be...amusing to say the least.

In regards to the powers, I think it's pretty much unique for every character. A character like Samson is pretty much constantly in use of his power: he just has incredibly tough skin, like stone. Ariel's power of flight comes naturally to her, and isn't incredibly taxing. K'thonya could probably use her powers almost indefinitely in that same way (she didn't seem taxed at all when displaying them, did she?)

I equate Samson's powers to Gwen's, of a sort. It's just an enhanced version of their natural homeworld abilities. Samson's skin was tough on his homeworld, on ES it's the consistency of stone. He's naturally strong on his homeworld, on ES he's just a bit stronger (mostly due to what his skin is made of, though).

On the other hand, using a power like Tengu's or Zaebos' didn't seem to drain them overly much, did it? Both were just fine afterward, only Nanashi seemed to be significantly affected. Soulstone powers seem to be related to how naturally it comes to the user. Nanashi may have access to all those powers, but channeling those powers is probably not easy for her.

And keep in mind in the physical wear and tear department, it's the actual soulstone that's channeling the powers. The child just has the soulstone within them, and they act as more of a light switch than a bulb, catch my drift?

My recommendation is that we let the characters sort out their own powers, to be honest. If any character seems to be over-using or abusing their powers, the Lady is fully within her rights to send them a PM and recommend they curb their habit. If they fail to comply, well, then we might get to see something like a blue-skinned, blond-haired missile carrying a ten foot rockbiter (who's screaming bloody murder, I imagine) straight toward the ground. Wink

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... indeed. You all can sort out your character's limitations then. I would say though that even if your character's soulstone power is an extension of their natural state of being, it still takes energy to use. Think of it as a type of muscle - they're natural, sure, but you gotta rest them sometime Wink

Anyhow, if I think anyone's getting out of hand with their power usage, I'll drop a PM bomb on them and talk it out.

Also! I'm going to lock this thread now and we'll continue any further discussion in the OOC thread. Thanks all!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: