FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Peanuts Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Violabelle

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, that's a hilarious idea. Quiet girl drives like a maniac. Me likes.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw this in here- I was doing a little background research on 20s slang for the Bering, and laughed when I saw the entry for Tomato

http://local.aaca.org/bntc/slang/slang.htm
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tomato - a female

XD

It's going to be terribly awkward to try and use some of these, but I'll try to throw a few in where they fit. I kind of assumed that, given the fact that alien races were now involved, that human language would have taken on a very "sterile" sort of dialect to accomodate translation. Can't beat the life out of the entire language though, so some of it should remain.

That and I can't wait to start saying we're "on the lam" after some horribly botched cargo run causes some government or another to chase after us... Or, at least, I can dream, heheh.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mato wrote:
Were he a decade younger and a lifetime less coarse...

XD Well, it made me giggle. Oh Jim, you salty old dog you.
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be popular today! Very Happy
Violabelle

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim is just on the prowl, isn't he??? Good thing Anna hasn't the slightest idea what he's thinking. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD Oh Jim...
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching my character in the Bering RPG progress into his own sort of personality, and I'm becoming somewhat intruigued. It's been several, SEVERAL years since I last belonged to a role-playing group of any sort, and in those years it seems like the basic character that I play has...well, changed.

When I first started role playing, I tended to use classic and stereotypical "knight in shining armor" types. A perfect example is an oft-reused character by the name of Draconis Chastine, who was in every sense a paladin without the religious bit. He would help anyone in need, etc etc.

I evolved from that into the "emulate cool movies" phase by making characters with sunglasses, spiky hair, and trenchcoats. Usually involved eastern weapons such as katanas. A good example of that, was a character by the name of "Davion Vayne" whom was, in every sense, the stoic and quiet "pure awesomeness" character from the Matrix flicks...just blond.

My last group, I played with the darker side of personality. It was a Star Wars D6 RPG, and I played a decidedly un-Jedi-like character with a lightsaber. Not that he could use the force, mind, he was just really twisted and had access (as a bounty hunter) to fancy toys.

That character (Gavin) evolved into some sort of mix between the previous two; fiercely loyal to his friends, brutal and not very prone to fooling around with those he didn't care about. It was always, always about the mission to him, which in the end cost him his in-game partner (and, coincidentally, my out-of-game partner lol).

Much abbreviated, that spans over a decade of gaming. Damien is...something else. He has the elements of a good person that I saw most obvious in Draconis, he has the inner core stoic and calculating personality of Davion, yet he has all the elements of social manipulation Gavin learned over time. His intentions aren't entirely selfless, but they're not totally self motivated, either.

I guess all I'm saying is that, I'm sort of blown away. All of those previous characters were incredibly two-dimensional creatures, with Gavin becomming the one exception toward the last few months I played him. This new character, Damien, doesn't look nearly so two dimensional to me, I see a lot of "wiggle room" for his character development.

I look forward to continuing, mostly out of a curiosity of who this character will become. Sort of like the new breed of video games that have you choose your alignment, I see the potential in him to become either sides of the same coin. It's rather exciting, in fact!

Sorry for the ramble, I just felt like mentioning all this. lol, and to think I was skeptical of the idea of "steampunk" when Tomato first explained it to me! Now, I think I like it more than the cyberpunk craze I'd been on for so long!

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I find it very interesting to have not actually come up with a full background and personality before we start - it makes it easier for the character to develop organically, given what little history i do know, and the setting. I still haven't decided, for instance, about Gibbs' social class (probably lower middle) family background...even where he's from... It's quite enjoyable playing by ear.
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. This was actually the core idea I came up with for this RP before I even got an idea of what kind of RP I wanted to do. Without any needed 'bio', a person's history could be as lucid or as opaque as I, or anyone wanted. I felt that part of the fun would be *sharing* our personal backstories as the characters would want them told - in the RP setting.

Anyhow, Its nice to hear you both saying that you're enjoying the process; I'm glad the idea at least held some worth Very Happy
Ravenna

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I want to issue a challenge or anything, but can VH get any camper at this point? Jim's ode to Bear was positively bordering on the Torchwoodian.

edit: At this point, I'm starting to think Jim wants to build a harem. XD
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim's absolutely capable of being serious, as am I. I'm just kinda having fun though. In all honesty, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to really get a little more dramatic.

I just kinda like being silly.

Also:

Mane started it.

One more thing:

ANY man wants to build a harem. They're just awesome.
Tomato

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
"...and smiled another gorgeous smile of apology..."

That was pure awesome. A gorgeous smile of apology. That sounds like some ancient heroic weapon of some long forgotten age, or an archaic spell used to enchant and bind the titans.

Jim doesn't have that. He just has Heavy Box.

I'm not going to stoop to calling it "Useless Heavy Box" yet, but I don't mind "Mysterious Heavy Box" so much. But Heavy Box sounds alright.

Actually, I think Jim's going to be growing quite attached to his box. I hope to see it get used in future missions! Very Happy
Maeniel

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous Smiles of Apology have a +10 Charisma effect on vampires and a +5 effect on their human supporters. It has a -5 effect on other vampiric minions (like their dogs etc.).

And what did I start? :O!!!
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD

Maenial wields a +10 Gorgeous Smile of Apology!
Vampire is stricken! Vampire loses a turn!
Jim strikes with Mysterious Heavy Box!
Critical Hit!!!
Vampire falls!

Red Skelton
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: