FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Computer Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

GoddessDragonsbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Computer Games Reply with quote

Howdy everyone.

I'm new to this here forum and I dont know if a topic like this exists or not (I couldn't find one) but, what computer games do you all play? What platorms do you play them on? What is your all time fave retro game?

Myself, I'm an XBOX 360/Wii gal. My favourite game series is Legend of Zelda. Currently I am playing Okami for Wii and Civilization Revolution on the Xbox.

As for retro games, the old mario and sonic are classics but you can't really beat how much I love the original sim city. Very Happy I spent far too much time on that game... and now again on my wii. Razz

And does anyone have XBOX live? I stay away from gaming forums as people can get quite... obsessed... and like "Whoa all we do all day is play video games." and im looking for xbox 360 buddies as well as wii buddies.

So if you all have 360 live or an online wii, let us share gamer tags and wii numbers!

Mwa ha! Says I!
GoddessDragonsbane = Dragon = Drag = Brag
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wii and I don't think it's everything it's cracked up to be. I'd really like a 360 but at the moment I've been playing World of Warcraft. (Level 45 draenei shaman on Thorium Brotherhood. Name of Serenela.)

I'm a fan of the Zelda series too. My fave games are WoW, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil and there's a soft spot in my heart for the earlier Spyro games. (I hate the new ones.)
theBSDude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond Good & Evil! I hope the new one is good....

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
GoddessDragonsbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the first Spyro games too, they did get rather bad. I love my wii and xbox equally for all different reasons. As for WOW, i'd need a whole new computer to play it... and a shadow clone to go to work for me.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could build you a computer to play WoW on for like, $300... But, that's me knowing what parts to buy and how to build a computer cheaply. It wouldn't play Crysis or anything though. Razz

As for what I play... I own a 360 and a Wii, like you. And, like you, I suspect I own them for the same reasons. Wink The XBox 360 is my gaming console, it's where I play all of my hardcore games or "eye candy" games. For some reason, fast-paced controller movements just don't work as well on the Wii. Maybe it's that I'm not used to it, though. **shrugs**

My Wii is my baby. Getting them was hard, when I got mine! I dunno if it is still, but they were a treasure when I got it. I have several games, but honestly some of my favorites are Wii Sports... O_o There's just something deeply satisfying about actually moving about to play, so the Wii sits on the shelf above my 360, always waiting to be fired up to play.

Though, I will admit, my 360 sees a fair bit more action. The title selection is much better on the 360. Games like DiRT, Oblivion, (soon) Fallout 3, GTA4, GH3, Half Life 2/Portal (Portal rocks!), uh... Actually, I've been playing a ton of "Viva Pinata" lately. It's like, the Sims...but so colorful... X_X

Gamer forums are, in fact, scary. Now isn't the time to tell you I used to belong to several, is it? LOL! Seriously though, I'm not a fanatic. I'm not even a fanboy of the 360 or the Wii (though I've been accused). I would love to own a PS3, I'm just not financially capable of it right now. My 360 was pre-owned (knowing people with expensive, addictive habits can be good sometimes). My Wii, now that set me back a pretty penny. So worth it, though.

**stops rambling about consoles**

In PC news, who here has bought Spore and has any thoughts/opinions on it? I'm very wary of the copy protection on it, I want to know if the game is worth trashing my OS. -_-

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
GoddessDragonsbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want spore... but again, my wee laptop's brain couldnt handle it. And yes thats the reasons I have the Wii and the 360.. I've played the PS3 but have no desire for it, here in the UK it's not backwards compatible so i'm happy enough with the PS2 and the PS2 games I have for it. Not that I play it much... Oblivion ate my soul.

And I dread to think how much WoW would eat my soul hence why I've not to get it, my doctor told me not to Razz

For the Wii I play Zelda alot, its the only "Hardcore" game I like, I also love Okami and Mario kart. There's something too hilarious about steering with the wii remote.
Namrorrim

Location: a small country on the sunny shores of the Eastern Mediterranean.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PC, It's enough for me >_> (Also my parents REFUSE to let any sort of console into our home. -_-)

I play. . . not much xD Truth is I got bored of having no life D= And now I sit around bored all day.

Dubbed 'CATMAN' by Asa [Lots of cats + Man (From name) = Dub*]
Lady Dea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have is my beloved laptop and my PS2, which is fine for me.

PC-wise, I play The Sims 2 + expansions (but once I learned that Bon Voyage and beyond contained SecuRom, I will not touch another EA product. Seriously, I suggest staying away from anything SecuRom infected. This is a good place for information if you're curious: Clicky). I've been playing through MMORPGs and I'm currently enjoying Guild Wars.

Age of Mythology and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines are also very engaging games.

For the PS2 I usually stick with RPGs like Final Fantasy, Shadow Hearts 1, 2 and 3, and Kingdom Hearts. There are a bunch of others in between, but it'd be a long list to name them all Razz
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between me and my significant other, we have two PC, two ntenitdo DS and a Wii. My husband is more of a game player than I am. I think that's due to me being the one who have classes and takes care of a baby. Its a time chomper.

The game that I play the most would be World of Warcraft. I'm a toon junkie with 36 in total (the last time I checked). Razz My friend is trying to lure me back into Neverwinter Nights. Uh oh.

I miss playing a lot of games like Ultima Online, Diablo, Dungeon Siege, and seesh, a lot more. Now if I could clone time...
Squeeself

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox 360/Wii combo is popular...Squee has that too. Squee doesn't play on the Xbox too much (too much WoW) so there's not much point handing out Squee's live info (but you can guess pretty easily!) Squee also owns a Nintendo DS with a number of games.

Squee has a pretty large game library. Although, not all of it has been finished by Squee (even if they're good games! Just never enough time Sad ) Let's see...some good ones to bring up... (not a full list of Squee's games by far, just the best)

Xbox:
  • Prince of Persia (while Sands of Time has "classic" status written all over it, Two Thrones is the best of the trilogy)
  • All 3 Halos of course (don't really play them online much though...mostly a fan of single-player games rather than online, except for WoW)
  • Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and Knights of the Old Republic are some of the best RPGs ever made. Bioware is just great. Smile
  • Squee highly recommends Assassin's Creed. An unusual sort of game.

Wii:

• Smash Brothers is Squee's only real party game, besides Wii Sports of course.
  • Super Mario Galaxy is worth a mention.
  • Okami for the Wii is a SUPERB game. Squee highly recommends everyone with a Wii (or a PS2, it's original platform) pick it up. There's just nothing like it.
  • And of course Zelda: Twilight Princess, which is, imho, the best Zelda ever made...has much more storytelling & emotional impact than all the other Zeldas
  • Metroid Prime: Corruption is very fun. Squee's not a huge fan of the previous metroids, but this one is among the Wii's best titles for good reason.

DS:

• Sonic Chronicles. Another Bioware game, though Squee hasn't had much time with it yet. Definitely a step above all the other recent Sonic games, if really bizarre to have a Sonic RPG. But it works!
  • Puzzle Quest. Yep. The DS is made for casual games, and puzzle quest delivers while not feeling so casual. Squee complain about a lot of DS games not really paying attention to the fact that the DS is mobile, but this game is the exact opposite. Perfect for what Squee uses the DS for (short periods of game playing while traveling or otherwise out-and-about with nothing to do)
  • Elite Beat Agents. This and the Japanese original that spawned it are just really fun games (Squee doesn't read Japanese, making the other game OH-more-hilarious). Utilizes the DS's touch screen to its fullest extent. Again, more casual, so perfect platform Smile
  • New Super Marior Bros. Not much to say other than its nostalgia done right. Smile

Most other DS games Squee has suffer from not being casual enough, imho. Not that they're all bad, just Squee doesn't play em as much.

PC games: (Oh where to start?)

• Myst, Riven, etc. Can't go anywhere without mentioning these classics. Myst is what got Squee really hooked on computer art when Squee was younger. Great games.
  • Half Life 2/Team Fortress 2/Portal. Can't give enough praise to Valve. Portal is among the top 10 best games ever made, and the Half Life 2 series is great for someone like Squee who enjoys single-player FPS (and not so much multiplayer)
  • Call of Duty 4. Another great single-player FPS. Great gameplay, good story. Hard to beat.
  • Bioshock. As much a commentary on games as on real-life. Can't miss this game in a survey of the art.
  • F.E.A.R. A more surprising choice for Squee's FPS conglomeration, but Squee found the game quite enjoyable...It helped that the horror nature of the game helped Squee deal with some of Squee's anxiety disorders at a critical time...
  • Civilization IV. The best of the Civ series. HIGHLY addictive. Use the in-game timer prodigiously!
  • WoW. Squee spends too much of Squee's free-time there...What little there is...
  • Neverwinter Nights. Bioware again! The game that just keeps on giving...
  • Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. Squee promises this is the last Bioware! The TOP of the best RPG list is Baldur's Gate 2. Seriously...Bioware's only problem is that they can't live up to the BG2. Looking forward to Dragon Age to see if they can get even close.
  • Beyond Good & Evil (multiplatform game really, Squee has it on PC). A truly superb game, and can't be advertised enough. A game that deserves a sequel like few others...
  • The Longest Journey. Just...avoid the Dreamfall sequel. One of the better storytelling in games.
  • Starcraft. I'm not a bit RTS guy. But Starcraft & Warcraft are quite good, and fun for the occaisonal single-player romp (I suck at multiplayer).

Squee'll leave it there. That's not the extent of Squee's stuff, and doesn't include all of Squee's older platforms (Sega Genesis was the bomb! And what's that in the ol' closet? Why, an Atari 400 computer complete with Centipede, Asteroids, and more!), but Squee is already being far too wordy Smile

Also, if anyone plays WoW on the Azshara realm (Horde), Squee's mains there are Melossa, Meldiva, and Kati. Look Squee up Smile
Dark Mirf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh oooh Baldur's Gate! *spazzes*
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, currently replaying BG 2 right now (Just hit the underdark again.) This time I intend to actually finish the whole thing (expansion and all). Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes, RAAARGH!

WoW - Hello, my name is Grimwatch, and I've been WoW free for 2 months now. The withdrawl symptoms have almsot disappeared, and Ive begun to appreciate that there are in fact, other games out there. Ones that dont necessarily contain other...people. Sad to say it was the sheer amount of stupid overflowing in my server and through any chat channel that killed it for me. Not even the new expansion holds enough to entice me back now. (And to fend of the people that will say 'Turn of the chat channel', sometimes its the only way to find help out there. Suffice to say when your ignore list is double your friends list in size, its time to reconsider whether or not a game is really worth playing).

As to Beyond Good and Evil... sequel is on its way, last I heard (I think theres even a video floating somehwere out there). Glee Very Happy

Squee has pretty much nailed my games I want to own/already own list right on the head, so not much else to add there Smile

Consoles owned...um, let me check
PS3 (sadly not backwards compatible. Thanks a billion sony Evil or Very Mad )
PS2
PSP
Gamecube
Saturn
Megadrive - Called a Genesis by some foreign, backwards countries I believe Razz
A friend of mine has a Dreamcast, but they never really made it here, with only a narrow window between a NZ release and Sega bowing out of the hardware marekt.

Im trying to finish up some of my old games before getting some new ones. This leaves me with a VERY large selection to pick from. After BG2-ToB, it might actually be time to finish off FF6 (the port for the PS)

Should anyone need the info,
PS3 tag = Thindal

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tenshi - you're a Fallout fanboy, aren't you. Somehow, I find this utterly unsurprising Razz

I play a limited number of 360 arcade games (carcasonne and settlers of catan, mostly) and I go in for Civ IV on the PC, as well as Heroes of Might and Magic V, Spore, and the Fallout games, and hope to be convincing my fiance to snag me the Baldur's Gate games soon, too. Also a huge fan of the Prince of Persia series, and a few others as well

My fiance, on the other hand... plays just about anything you could think of, with the exception of pro sports-based games and Japanese RPGs. He is also a rabid Fallout fanboy and is impatiently dreading the arrival of the new one.

We have a Wii, 360, PlayStation (2, I think), an insanely shiny PC with enough muscle and graphics card to tackle anything you throw at it, a laptop with all of my games on it, and an iMac I actually just wiped of games so I could use it solely for artistic pursuits. Oh, yea, and his DS with Civ Rev, Elite Beat Agents, and a couple other games on there, too

Anybody know of any good RPGs out there on these systems that have local multiplayer, instead of just the online kind? We likey the hack'n'slash in this household, but developers don't seem to want us on the same couch together when we play them Sad

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many games I want to try/finish but I haven't been able to put in those hours to play like I used to since highschool. Mind you I still find moments to play them, just sparsely (is that a word?).

Now as for what systems I own, Wii, and all the other Nintendo systems. I'm not interested in the others. I much prefer games I can play with my siblings, friends or other family members over people I don't know online. I also appreciate the more open audience they aim for and age range, like, there's more everyone games rather than mature games. And as a personal preference I like cartoony games with lots of colours which Nintendo provides a lot of.

Also, one word: Smash Bros.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sunshine - Around here the 'must have' hack'n'slash RPG would be Diablo 2. Its a little dated now, but still offers hours of slaughter-filled mayhem, with a fairly easy interface and of course, local multi-player. You can pick up the "Battlechest" pack containing both the game and its expansion pretty cheap these days. Diablo 3 looks promising, but is a good year+ away yet Neutral .

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: