FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Music Awesome-ness....

RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Music Awesome-ness.... Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not sure if a thread like this existed before the forum went ker- plunk and drowned, but either way, it'd be awesome if we started one like this.

Any-who, this thread would be in contrast to the 'Music worthy of Hate' thread. This is the Hall of Fame for Music.

HOW IT"S GONNA WORK, GOT IT??(good)
so you pretty much just put down the name of (in your personal opinion) an awesome band. The next person gives their opinion, and then another band. After we get about 20 bands (that have gotten 'good reviews') we could have a MASS poll, to see which deserves the golden trophy (metaphorically, of course).

You ready?
'I want you, bleeders......'
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I start or is 'You Ready?' a band?

Ok, I guess one of my favourite bands is the Kaiser Cheifs, out of both albums I like the first one best and my favourite songs are 'Oh My God' and 'Time Honoured Tradition'.

Just a note, can you make a poll with 20 options? I thought the limit was 10.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. I don't listen to band music... I listen to Classical. So I guess I'll have to sit this one out...

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
RoseBlood

Location: Gallifrey. . . (Before the Time Wars. Duh- I time- traveled to get here.)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, MASS EDIT TIME;

Rule 1;

-If you've never heard the band in question, you MUST listen to the band (or the given "favorite" song from) before you comment.

example; "OMG, i've like, these people aren't on top 4o! They must be like, so bad! Oh my god!" ~don't do that, otherwise you will be called a lemming. Have a Nice freaking day.

Rule 2;

- ALL GENRE TYPES ARE ACCEPTED, including classical, for AsA.
RoseBlood

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in response to Britland, I prefer "Oh My God" to "Time Honoured Tradition". But I thnk I like "Ruby" a bit better.

All in all, Kaiser Chiefs are pretty good. Not great, then again, I liked it even though it wasn't really my genre.

Rating; 7 of 10 =Kaiser chiefs

Next Artist; Within Temtation. Songs of preference- "Angels", "Our Solemn Hour", and "Memories".
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's even worse is I can't listen to music right now anyway, so I'll have to sit this one out. I'll think of a couple songs to add next month, though!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Within Temptations - a friend introduced me to them with the song "Angels" Darn catchy it is. All of their songs are catchy. Though I think I like "Stand My Ground" or "Frozen" best out of what I've heard. Sometimes she sings too high though. . .><;
I guess. . .6 or 7 out of 10?

I love and adore Lifehouse, they're my favorite band, hands down. My favorite song by them is "Everything", but I also really like "Quasimodo" and "You and Me"(they played this one on the radio when it came out. =3), they also just came out with an ep, and I loved some of the songs on there, though I haven't heard them enough to mention.
le Pencil Pirate

Location: Still under the Opera House, and still hoarding Tristram's pencils.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never listened to much band music, but I'm starting to. (And I still can't decide if that's a good or bad thing.. xD)

One of my favorites right now is Muse. They make rock music beautiful, man. I became a convert when I was running around YouTube one day, and I found their music-video to the song, "Starlight". Kind of simplistic lyrics, I think, but the song makes them really beautiful. And the tune is catchy, and easily stuck in your head, sad to say.
But yeah, they have some great music. The lead singer sounds kind of strange, but he's got a really powerful voice. And the way they use those guitars... Oh my gosh... Their album, "Black Holes and Revelations" has some of the best songs on it, but "Absolution" and "Origin of Symmetry" ain't bad, either. I own Absolution. It's the first rock CD I've ever bought.
The song, "Maps of the Problematique", is, in my opinion, more than awesome.
Some of their music is a tad on the mournful, oh-quit-whining side, and some of it (namely on the album, Hullaballoo) is very screamy. However, if you like that sort of thing, Muse is for youz.
But otherwise, they are really, REALLY good, and I like 'em alot. My music-snob sister likes them even more than I do, so there you go. O.o

Edit: Snap, I didn't see that all genres are allowed. Oh well. I'm still going with Muse. But just out of curiosity, is it OK for a person to put more than one post? Not a double post, but just more than one.

Keeper of Tristram's Pencils, Bel's non-existant rear, and... I think that's it.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pirate: Youtube "Sing for Absolution" for Muse, that music video totally rocks imo. I also am a HUGE Muse fan, I used to just cycle their music constantly and drive all my "hardcore/classic rock" friends crazy with it.

@Tinu: I just recently heard Within Temptation, much like le pirate I heard them first on youtube. Since then, I think your taste in their songs matches mine pretty well. I'm not on my PC at the moment, or I'd confirm that. Within Temptation is great, but..

Lately I've been on a Paramore kick. I don't know why, specifically, I just really enjoy their music. It's got enough energy and power to actually be decent to listen to, and some of their songs really amuse me. Right now I'm listening to "Misery Business" which is getting a lot of radio play right now also.

Overall I'm going to suggest for the title of King....
Miles Davis.

And if you don't know who Miles Davis is, go find some of his music. American Jazz is where it's at. ::nods emphatically::

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my challenger for this Mega-Music-Showdown is Machinae Supremacy.

And I'll be genuinely surprized if anyone of you knows who they are! Wink

Luckily, it's quite easy to get to know them, since their first three albums and a double-album-length video-game-soundtrack they made are available for download for free on their website.

I especially recommend the tracks Arcade, The Great Gianna Sisters, Legion of Stoopid and the Theme from Jets'n'Guns.

Oh, and then there's this unofficial video for a song from their newest album (for sale, not for download). Laughing

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
unimportant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to be missing on the rules here, guys. Remember, you have to review the band that came before before you continue on! XD
le Pencil Pirate

Location: Still under the Opera House, and still hoarding Tristram's pencils.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unimportant wrote:
People seem to be missing on the rules here, guys. Remember, you have to review the band that came before before you continue on! XD

Whoops. Shocked I missed that. I thought it meant to review your own band. EDIT TIME!

Keeper of Tristram's Pencils, Bel's non-existant rear, and... I think that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: