FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Bad Days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Bad Days Reply with quote

Have you ever had one of those days? Yep, we all have. In fact, Squee had one just this last week.

Squee has been working on 2 weeks for this project for Squee's Renderman Shading class. That's right, 2 weeks working to make a very photorealistic 3D image. It wasn't anything very complex, as this isn't the end of the class yet, but still...Squee was very proud of it, and enjoying the project immensely.

Thursday roles around. Squee's not feeling too hot (not unusual), and Squee sits down to work in the lab. Squee opens up the project and....errors pop up. "Unable to open file, errors in file." Immediately, sweat breaks out. "Just breathe, yes, just breathe." Squee had luckily been taking care to make regular backups. Still, Squee was very annoyed. It was still gonna be a loss of a day's worth of work. Squee spent a few minutes trying to get the file open, but to no avail. Finally, Squee gave up and popped in the thumbdrive with the backs.

Again, "Unable to open file, errors in file." More sweat. "This, isn't good." After several minutes of investigating, Squee finds the problem: Squee had only been backing up HALF of the files needed. The others where stored in a bizarre location and...of course...where the most important.

So there it is...the story of a bad day where 2 weeks of work were lost because files were stuck in weird locations. Not to mention the fact that there was a file corruption in the first place. Squee had to work all day Saturday to try and redo the project.

Share your recent bad days and let us all commiserate with each other! Remember, misery loves company! (And boy, has Squee been miserable.)
PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Squee Sad
I can feel your pain to a certain extent. One day, as I was backing up my files to my Norton account, my computer decided to it was time for a permanent hardware failure. No assignments gone, but I am missing a lot of old photos and music.

Anyways, to make you feel better:

Getting hit in the fact with a few hundred eggs doesn't make for an outstanding day either. My brother worked at an egg farm over the summer, and in the sorting area (roughly the size of a gymnasium) one of the machines went haywire and started firing out eggs everywhere. The poor girl who was closest looked up just in time to see dozens of eggs flying at her.
By the time the machine was shut off, everyone in the room was about a foot deep in broken eggs.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi. And egg is hard to clean.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had one of those a week or two ago... I wrote a minirant about it in the Today thread. Lemmee see if I can find it, and I'll post it here.

Long story short, it all started when I misplaced my phone and my wallet. Was almost late to class, had to pay for the bus, missed an important phonecall, and had a gut-wrenching close call with the financial records office.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst day I had was when I lost my camera (with about 1400 photos on it D: ) on the Tokyo underground, then got lost from my tour group on it the next day.

I'm quite proud that I managed to navigate my way back to the hostel, though. I'm glad I had just enough money to buy a ticket back. Although the fact that no-one realised I was missing for TWO WHOLE HOURS kinda annoyed me.

And yes, that was two days. But there was a flow-on effect :p
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could name quite a few, but I think one that really stands out is this one; I got a call from a man some 100 miles away, saying that he needed a couple of horses picked up before they died. Needless to say, my team and I were eager to rush out there and grab them, but me, being the voice of maturity and reason (haha) told the nice man that they weren't in our district, and therefore not in our jurisdiction. Now, not being an American, I have no real proof, but he sounded just like those stereotypical New Yorkers from the movies. You know, "Hey turkey, I'm walkin' here!" (where was that from? Enchanted? The chipmunk? Never mind.)

Anyway, the guy explains he won't tell a soul we took his horses, and I explained back that he should contact the people assigned to his district. I turned away to face my disappointed team, but no sooner had I opened my mouth to tell them no cigar, we are NOT going, the phone rang. I whipped around to get it, but Shallan was faster. She kicked me in the ankle while pushing my back and I went flying.

Grabbing the phone, she said breathlessly, "Hawk Haven Horses. Are you the guy who called a second ago?" The the git gave gullible Shallan a sob story about how he had become attached the miserable horses and that the rescue up in his district didn't even bother to foster horses or adopt them. The lazy [censored] just did euthanasia. (I yelled that we weren't even the legal rescue, because we kept a lot of horses, but everyone ignored me.)

Okay, getting to the bad part. So I got voted down, and everyone tumbled into the truck to go get these horses, who were at least an hour and a half, two hours away. We were ten minutes away when the same guy called, saying, "They're taking the horses to the slaughter house! Down Rt. 412!" Oh crap. I'd let Shallan drive...

Tires screeched and rubber burned as Shallan swung the pickup truck and gooseneck trailer into crazy turn, drove across the grassy stretch between the highway, and went flying from 0 to 60 the other direction.

Jon and I clutched each other with wide eyes and clamped onto seatbelts, handrests, and our lives.

"What kinda car are we lookin' for, Joe?" Awww, special. Shallan and Joe had a connection. Both NYers.

"Beat up Silverado and a rusty blue trailer. You'll be lucky if they break down. Trailers a piece of crap." Shallan nodded and hung up, concentrating grimly on driving. Jon and I concentrated equally grimly on staying alive.

Luck was with us. We caught up to them. Feeling elated mainly because when we stopped them, Jon could get behind the wheel, we started to relax. Bad move. Shallan saw something and started screaming at the top of her lungs.

"MAKE THEM STOP KRISSY HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY!!!!!"

"What the--" Jon started to say as Shallan fumbled the horn and blasted it several times. The silver truck sped up.

Only I had seen too. The trailer the horses were in was indeed so crappy that the bottom of it was sagging, and two hooves had punched through and were dragging on the asphalt.

I started screaming too. Then Shallan did a stupid thing, and gunned the engine, speeding in front of the truck and trailer and cutting them off. Brakes squealed as we both skidded to a halt.

The guy at the wheel hopped out and started howling at Shallan, who brushed past him to the trailer with the horses. I followed her and diplomatic Jon stopped to reason with him.

The horses gazed at us with crazed eyes. The coppery, metallic tang of blood was strong as Shallan gently eased herself into the trailer. I waited outside, holding my breath.

"It's bad." Shallan said after a moment, in a very small voice. That was code for, 'They probably won't live.' Well, we didn't get this far without being tenacious.

I ran back to the truck to get halters, bandages, hoof boots, treats, banamine, and tranqs. Jon and the man looked on the verge of blows, so I stopped and pressed 500 american dollars into his hand. The guy shut up. It took us the better part of two hours, with cars whizzing by on a crazy highway, to get the horses into my trailer, where the were able to lay down. I had designed the trailer specifically for cases like this, but everyone's nerves were stretched to breaking point.

We were about a half hour from home when my truck sputtered and died. On a highway. Shallan coloured the air purple with her words while I tried to mend the truck.

It wasa bloody nightmare. Horses injured and bleeding, their feet worn away to the bone, trucks breaking down on highways. I'm pleased that we made it home and managed to save one horse, but it was definitely one of the WORST days EVER.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_o

Man, I have nothing to say but to offer hugs to everyone here. Seriously, these are some rough stories.

**hugs all around**

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_O That's horrid Ponce. ;__;

*hugs for people*

I've a tendancy for forgetting bad things. Most of my bad days occur because of my complete lack of self-preservation, and then it's usually bad because people get mad at me for it. Like the time we were in DC and I thought my friend had left me at Rite-Aid and decided to walk back to the hotel alone. At 12:30 AM.

*thinks* Yeah, I don't remember bad days unless they're recent. We'll ust skip over the numerous times I've come close to drowning or becoming a pankcake because the rest of those days were good. ^^
Tamir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've had days like those, but they elude me now. o_0 I suppose that's a good thing.
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also have a tendancy to let bad things breeze right by. Even now, that horrible day two weeks ago is kinda fuzzy and hazy, like, 'It was bad, right? I know it was bad because I remember thinking it was bad, but it doesn't feel that way now...' I even get that way with really serious stuff. Like, really really serious stuff. If I'm not directly in the situation, it somehow doesn't seem worth it to bother other people.

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read Ponce's post I think any bad day I've had pales in comparison.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
Having read Ponce's post I think any bad day I've had pales in comparison.

Precisely.
sunshine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Now I remember a bad day of mine... heh, I'm kinda like the last few people on here, and easily forget about the days that are bad. Even while I'm in the middle of them sometimes, it's wild.

Worst bad day I can recall is the one where I spent six hours baking in an airplane that was detained out on the runway due to an engine that exploded and burst into flames during takeoff. I was on my way to see my parents, the flight was only supposed to last two hours, and they didn't let us use our phones until the fourth hour we were sitting there. So by the time I could call and tell my mom that I was ok she was already deep into panic mode. I had to try and calm her down - no small feat as my mother has a severe flair for the dramatics, to the point where all the panic I hadn't felt during the explosion and emergency landing was brought surging out thanks to her hysterics. This was after about seven hours of traveling already that day.

My deviantART page

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
horsin'around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst days: I dwell on them. It's not good.

Worst day number one: Shallan is in Russia in the middle of an uprising. It wasn't a coup, but there was some nasty rumours. While she was off traipsing across a war-torn country, I went and got my a -- erm, posterior kicked, so to speak. (a.k.a. got shot by a drunkard)

Worst day number two: GIANT FREAKIN' STORM. FENCE DOWN. HORSES OUT. Still have nightmares, hehe.

Worst day number three: ...Never mind.

Worst day number four: ya know what, I'm going to stop here. Yes I will.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
electricpanda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ponce and general: Hugs!

@ Sunny: What were you doing baking on a plane? Are you a flight attendant or something? =_=
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: