FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

The Canadian Election
Goto page Previous  1, 2

PurpleCactusPlant

Location: 2010 Olympics (Please enjoy them, b/c I am paying for them).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost didn't vote today. My mail-in ballot came TODAY, when it was supposed to be in OTTAWA.
So then I went to the polling station to register to vote in the city I currently reside in (which I don't live in permanently). You'd think that the polling station 2 blocks over from your apartment would be the correct polling station, but no, it turns out mine was waaay the heck out of the way.

2 hours later I've voted. The Green Party had better appreciate their $1.75.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they appreciate mine too, despite them yet again not getting a single seat. Ah well, at least our votes DO count!

While I don't think that the results tonight were super wonderful, I DO think that they're the best that could have come from an election at this time (which I felt was unnecessary).

I'm going to love watching Harper and the Conservatives sucking up to the NDP to get anything done. GOOOOOOOOO COMPRIMISE! WOO!

(Seriously though, democracy is supposed to be about comprimise. I think Minority governments are awesomesauce).

If anyone else is at all interested, the Canadian Federal Government is now thus structured:

Conservative 144
Liberal 74
Bloc Québécois 50
NDP-New Democratic Party 38
Independent 2
Green 0

Majority govt = 155 seats out of a possible 308.

And did you know that the Green party got 670,981 seats, earning them NO seats in parliment, while the Bloc got 1,000,317 (only 329,336 more) and got FIFTY seats (note: this is at 11:50pm EST). Sheesh. I was so mad when we didn't vote that new mixed member proportional representation system in last year. It was SUCH a good idea.

Ah well.

Also, take a look at this political spectrum of the Canadian government... I was VERY surprised at how they ranked the parties. I'm going to have to take a closer look at it later.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/canada2008
Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to the seats, though I'll admit I know nothing about Canadian elections...

Some systems award seats based on area. While they may have had 600k votes overall, if those 600k were in areas that have very little seats or from areas that have so many votes that 600k is statistically insignificant, then they wouldn't be awarded any seats. However, the votes still do matter, as they get funding for them.

That's how we had it set up in our fantasy government system, anyway.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the skits on CBC in between waiting for the results. And NDP had the highest votes in my town, I was looking at the bottom of the screen for that. I'm a little miffed they are under Bloc Quebecois. Who are those guys anyway? I don't know much about them other than their attempts to seperate Quebec from Canada. Or are they still trying that? I don't know.

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
JackAce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote:
Also, take a look at this political spectrum of the Canadian government... I was VERY surprised at how they ranked the parties. I'm going to have to take a closer look at it later.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/canada2008

To get a bearing on what those rankings actually mean, I took a look at what they had to say about the German parties (being a German myself).

I would have expected "right" to mean "Conservative". but on the left/right scale of this compass, "right" only stands for economic liberalism. That's why our Free Democrats (the German Liberals) ended up at the extreme right end of that scale, while pretty much everyone within Germany would have expected to find them near he centre.

The National Democrats, on the other hand where placed right smack in the centre on the left/right scale - mainly because they have no serious concepts for economics whatsoever. On this compass, this "Far-Right-Wing" party ranks far up on the Authortarian scale (and even that ranking is kind of flattering for them - basically that party is nothing but a bunch of neo-nazi idiots, led by a few people smart enough to get neo-nazi idiots to do their bidding...)

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: