FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Anime/Manga thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Virturealm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and got a Japanese dictionary yesterday. It occurred to me that despite all the stuff I was watching, I wasn't actually learning the language, I was just learning subtitle-ese, which is just a funny dialect of English which uses awkward words like "troublesome"

So now I have something to flip through, just need to find something new to watch. I've built up a list of like two dozen shows to choose from but nothing immediately jumps out. I had the misfortune last summer, during what was a nice binge of one series after another, of watching a show which turned out to be more or less the greatest piece of fiction I've ever found, immediately followed by one which was pretty lousy. I gave up on it and the streak ended. Still thinking about the awesome one, and nothing else seems like it could live up to that...
__|..|..|__|
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to learn Japanese I suggest you track down a copy of 'Japanese in Thirty Hours' by Eiichi Kiyooka. It was first issued in 1942 the copy I have was printed in 1953, don't know if it's still in print. Covers a lot of the basic gramatical construct of the language and some common words. The author's intent was that after covering the subject material you should be able to express any thought in Japanese with the use of a dictionary to fill in missing words.
- Issa
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... what am I watching/reading right now...

Right now I'm not watching any anime. Already watched it all. ^^; Well, what I want to watch at least, for now. No! Wait! I'm finally watching Ghost Stories in Japanese. TALK ABOUT A BIG DIFFERENCE! O_O

What I just finished recently (aka last six months lmao), however, was:
Claymore
Ouran High School Host Club
Saiyuki (need Reloaded and Gunlock now)
Grave of the Fireflies
--Quickly followed by My Neighbor Totoro. (If you've seen GotF you know why ;_;)

On the manga side...

Let's see... I've read everything I own, but series I am working on right now are:

Nightmare Inspector
Vampire Knight
Junjo Romantica (Yaoi, be forewarned)
Ouran High School Host Club <3
Claymore
Inuyasha
Until the Full Moon
Chibi Vampire
Haruka
Vassalord (this is gut-busting funny with many sexual innuendos towards the yaoi spectrum, be warned)
Gravitation (More yaoi... >.>;)
Tactics
Demon Diary
Boy Princess (This is actually manwa, so it's harder to find :<)
Rurouni Kenshin

I would provide descriptions... but this post would be HUUUUUUUUUUGE. x'''D So if you have any specific questions, just let me know and I'll answer them.
daydreamer_girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a yaoi person myself...reading Gravitation was very awkard so I didn't even finish reading the first book. Embarassed

Right now I'm reading:
Fruits Basket
Highschool Debut
FullMetal Alchemist
Maison Ikkoku
and other stuffies on the side.
Blargh, there was also Fall in Love like a Comic, but I don't want to recommend that to anyone. It was only 2 books long but boring as heck. Yes, and very predictable and full of shojo manga cliches.

Animes: Fullmetal Alchemist, and uh, whatever I happen to be watching. But FMA has to be one of my favorites so far. Who thought that a piece of armur could be so cute? :3

dubbed "Emma" by Asa
Squeeself

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee just finished watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Squee highly recommends it. A bit of a sci-fi romance, and it's really, really well done. Watch it if you have a chance! It's coming out on DVD on Tuesday.

The story is apparently pretty popular, as the anime is only the latest adaptation of the story; it's been made a live-action movie a number of times.
Lithrath

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I watched that (GWLTT) last year in club and add my support. What a lovely film it is. ^___^

However, the ending got me labled as a Shota-con T.T
Someone in club was just pondering what things would be like in the future (since Chiaki says that he'll wait for Makoto), to which I exclaimed "Shota!" in a completely different vein of conversation...

Nem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have watched Getsumen To Heiki Miina (Lunar Rabbit Weapon Miina) but you won't get me to admit to it <_<

Also watching Tytania, so so, looks like it could shape up to be a decent space opera style thing - bit slow at the moment but the opening score is awesome.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading +Anima, which is adorable, but a bit lacking plot wise - so far anyways.
electricpanda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a SHnY DVD and I want to buy the rest >< Even though I already saw the whole thing.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letsee, what has Virt seen recently...

ROD Read Or Die - The original 3 episode OVA was pretty great (though with unnecessary yuri overtones, seemed kinda "Least Common Denominator"), and I'd probably recommend. Superpowered hypergeek secret agent versus steampunk. The actual series that followed seemed to drag on a lot, got confusing, and lost some charm (when everyone has the same superpower even something like paperkinesis can get a bit dull I guess) Kinda meh.

Kyoran Kazoku Nikki - One of those things where I read the TVTropes entry and thought, this is the most random thing I've ever heard. A bit disappointing in that respect but it had it's moments. I still snicker at the concept a little.

Genshiken - Awesome. Basically just a realistic look at geek culture, eccentricities, insecurities, but I guess that's the sort of thing I really like. (Current favorite show: Welcome to the NHK, that might say a lot.)

Oh, and I did manage to find that book that Nem recommended at the top of the page at the school library, but have not put anywhere near thirty hours into it. Sucks because now, during break, when I have the time and really want to learn, I don't have the book. Hesitant to grab a newer one. >_>
__|..|..|__|
electricpanda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I saw ROD a couple of months ago too! It was fun, but a little on the bland side, I found.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manga for ROD is quite good.

I'm working on rewatching Escaflowne - it's one of the few things int he world that can transform me into a fangirl. The subplots read like a soap opera, but I love it so!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend introduced me to an anime a few days ago. It's called Kino's Journey. It's interesting, but I'm still not quite sure what to think of it. The main character's apathy is a little annoying, but it brings up some interesting thoughts and conundrums. It's a bit existential as well.
Lithrath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can accept Kino's difficulty in expressing herself, you will enjoy Kino's Journey immensely. It can be a bit slow (and was much better in book format) but the art, music and Hermes are delightful and the story fascinating.

As for me, I've taken a break from anime and manga and am watching J-dramas instead. Like Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. ^___^

Ravenna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lithy: You couldn't send me a link to Pretty Guardian, could you? I've tried to hunt it down on Veoh, but I keep running into dodgy links. D:

ps - I think I owe Fable a summary of Nana? I'll try and get it up soon, because I'm pretty behind on Nana and the last time I tried to write a summary the forum kept blorking and eating it. ><
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: