FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Anime/Manga thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Cypher

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, the new Evangelion is going to have a totally new ending, bringing the total possible endings for Evangelion up to three. Which is fine, because the first two sucked.

I have yet to see the new Eva, but I really, really, REALLY hope Shinji is less of a whiney emo. Not much chance of that, but I can dream, I suppose.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Supposedly, the new Evangelion is going to have a totally new ending, bringing the total possible endings for Evangelion up to three. Which is fine, because the first two sucked.

Maybe because the show sucked in general...

Ahem, did Squee say that? Rolling Eyes
Cypher

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Squee. Neutral You did.

Evangelion is okay if you don't mind not knowing what is going on and putting up with the whiniest protagonist in animation history. And more mind trips than you can count. And having not one, but two endings that bring absolutely no closure at all. Still, it gets points for being considerably deeper than your average Giant Robot vs Monster show.

Eva is really either a hit or a miss. You either like it, or you hate it, and no amount of arguing can convince either side that they're wrong. Hence, moving on.

I recently begun watching Shakugan no Shana and Gundam 00. Gundam 00 just seems like a Gundam Wing redo, though I haven't seen all that much of the series. I've seen most of Shana, and I like it. It's a nice mix of humor and seriousness, as well as a rather unique magic system. Worth a look if you've got the time.

Officially dubbed Pez by AsA
Cypher = code = problem = puzzle = Puzz = Pez

Keeper of Skogul's berserk rage, and the Endless Void.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep is what wise, venerable masters of Taoism are. Evangelion is about as deep as a puddle on a slanted roof. Unless your definition of deep is cryptic nonsense, self-loathing, non-empathetic characters, and your standard-fair psychological tripe common to writers who think they're deep.

It's funny...the original ending was the best for the show. Because it was a perfect ending that summed up exactly what the show was about...which was...nothing. Razz

Okay, Squee's done ripping into it. Just had to have a little fun. Squee'll probably watch the new stuff just to see if there's any improvement, but...since it's a remake, it'll probably take the original material far too seriously.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Cypher already said Evaneglion is a bit of an antagoniser as far as anime goes, so let's leave off a bit. I did enjoy the more psychological side to it, I admit, and yes, I did find it to be deep on occasion, if in a trippy way. I think we can all agree to disagree on this one.

Moving far, far away and onto new news, I'm considering re-visiting Rah-Xephon and starting on Nana. The soundtrack for Nana is utterly awesome and I've loved it for a couple of years now, but I was never too happy with George in Paradise Kiss. Have any forum members checked Nana out?

Also might have a look into Gintama and Soul Eater, and write up what I think on them, because they were both recently released here I believe. I can't resist Shinsengumi stories.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenna wrote:
Have any forum members checked Nana out?

I've read it, but I haven't seen it yet. The manga's great though, I really like it, though the art's not the best. You should definitely check it out, it's funny, sweet, and for the most part the characters can be easy to connect to.

I was thinking of watching something called Soul Taker, (after I finish RXJ, which is looking to be never) anyone heard of it?
Shiru04

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
And one anime I cannot stand is Genshiken, I hate that show with a fiery passion *grumble, always gets voted in at the anime society every week, grumble*

Wow, someone that actually dislikes Genshiken? That's a rare sight. The show's definitely not for everyone, being a slow slice of life-ish celebration of anime nerds. I really enjoy the series myself...though I felt it lost some of its steam after Madarame got bumped out of the spotlight.
Lady Calie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiru04 wrote:
TheBritishInvasion wrote:
And one anime I cannot stand is Genshiken, I hate that show with a fiery passion *grumble, always gets voted in at the anime society every week, grumble*

Wow, someone that actually dislikes Genshiken? That's a rare sight. The show's definitely not for everyone, being a slow slice of life-ish celebration of anime nerds. I really enjoy the series myself...though I felt it lost some of its steam after Madarame got bumped out of the spotlight.

thats when i stopped watching it xD

Soul Taker is a pretty good anime I saw it a few years ago on the anime channel when I still had it.

i went to a book sale thing and bought a few manga Surprised

world of hartz is one i bought that i've been wanting to read since it came out
got a few Petshop of Horrors 5, 7-9been a fan of it for a while now just havnt bought it >.<
and A Midnight Opera which jsut looked interesting
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fantasy/sci fi fan. I don't have a lot of interest in stuff that isn't fantasy or sci fi, though I will make an exception if somethings really good.
My issues with Genshiken are:

The characters annoyed me to no end, especially that tall one.
Too much inuendo.
Nothing ever happened, they just sit and talk for 20 minutes.
The jokes were not funny.
Shiru04

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slice of life shows like ARIA and Genshiken rely entirely on the characters, so there aren't really any major plot changes like you'd get in a fantasy or sci-fi show. Most of the major Genshiken cast members undergo some changes, but if you didn't care for them much at the start, odds are you won't care for them too much at the end, either.

I've recently gone back to watching some of my anime collection, starting off with Revolutionary Girl Utena. It was a strange series when I watched it before, and...it's still pretty damn weird now. It makes more sense to me this time around, at least.
Virturealm

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a serious anime binge recently. Blasting through series's at a rate of about one every week and a half. Dunno where the sudden motivation came from but here's what I've got so far.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan. Holy ****. Shameless, completely over the top mecha show. Pretty much redefines the word epic. Not exactly deep or anything, but smart and twisty enough to stay interesting. You can pretty much tell that the writers were pretty much only concerned with the quest for more epic and more over the topness. I don't know what else to say really. Check it out if you're one of those people who always wanted to see that robot get bigger.

Higurashi no naku koro ni. Cool concept, okay execution. Set in a series of alternate universes featuring the same set of characters in slightly different circumstances. However most scenarios inevitably end in most of the cast getting brutally killed or going nuts for reasons that aren't apparant at the start. As it goes along you get more pieces to the puzzle and eventually you figure out what the hell is going on. Could have been better, but you probably won't find anything like it. Lots of blood and lots of mind screwing. Coming from someone who actually liked how Evangelion turned out in the end, I'll say it's probably hit or miss. Razz

And I've just started through Rozen Maiden. Pretty much the only thing that got me to select it was a short description I read of the main character. I just want to see more stories addressing his type of issues. Dunno how the rest of it will turn out.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rozen maiden's fun. The story's a bit interesting, if a bit overdone, but I still love it.
Rolaoi

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last anime on television I followed was the show Blood+, but I fell behind, and I didn't really understand what was going on enough to continue watching. I'm not sure if it even still plays. Too bad, I actually enjoyed it.

I am reading Tsubasa and One Piece. I like Nami from the One Piece comics. She's an interesting character.
Fame~Citzen Cope

Nom d'amour~ Rolex
Lady Calie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently finished the anime Code Geass and i must say its better than i first thought it was going to be i'm now trying to finish Rozen Maiden and watch R2 of Code Geass

still trying to finish death note but its not all that attractive to me since i cant really d/l it (cant torrent and havn't found a non torrent i don't have to pay for) which means i have to watch it in the living room were my mom is >.>;;
Lithrath

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally getting around to watching Ouran High School Host Club...I am mostly amused. Reently though I've mainly been watching movies...the Clannad movie fleshes out Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship a bit more. So if you enjoyed the series I'd recommend the retelling found in the movie.

In other news, soon I will own the complete Cowboy Bebop series, remixed edtion (lots of bonuses and an extra prologue episode). I am excited since it is a fantastic classic. *love*

As for Death Note: go watch the live action movie, like right now! It is love in audio-visual format...if you don't mind supporting bootleg operations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: