FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Willow Theories!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't speak English. =F Unless things got very changed, everyone's speaking Estrellian, which they can do thanks to Earthsong.
YatesOfYore
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was dealt with in the original version, but it hasn't come up in the redux cause, well... it's really not that important. But here's the explanation anyhow:

Everyone is actually speaking a language called Estrellian - its the universal language of the planets/stars/whatever. Estrellian is what all sentient species start out speaking but obviously the language is lost/adapted/mutated/whathaveyou over time.

They are all able to speak this language due to their proximity to either Bel or ES, who, due to their manifest stones, are acting as "universal translators". Sort of - it's not actually a "translation"; it's the actual ability to speak and understand this language. Anyhow, if they got TOO far away from either, they'd revert back to speaking their native tongue.

And before you ask, yes they can also READ Estrellian, and that's what most of the books in the library are written in.

I've just translated the comic into English for your convenience.
Tamir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwahaha. Guess who just got ninja'd? >=D (The Lady explained it a hundred times better than me, though, of course.)
Sasha Lupine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyYates wrote
Quote:
I've just translated the comic into English for your convenience.

This made me crack up.

Oh, and, maybe another of Willow's powers is to make giants angry. ^^ *joking*

Dubbed Harmon by Asa
Sasha Lupine = Sasha = Harmon, by way of friends.

Will respond to Sasha, Lupine, Lupe, or Cougy.

Keeper of Alyss's pout.
Sareth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well most of my theories have been debunked -_- though ahs anyone ever noticed that Willow kind of looks like Amalthea from The Last Unicorn? inspiration perhaps?
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Amalthea similarity came up several times before the Great Forum Crash of '06. Lady was a bit chagrined the first time it was pointed out, because the similarity was completely unintended. She loved The Last Unicorn as a kid, but wasn't trying to imitate the character design. It just sort of came out that way. She has since changed the character design a bit to de-emphasize the similarity.
sinesdex

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmn, something to think about...
consider Willow's waist and hipps before she was abducted, for instance here
and afterwards as can be observed especially in the last 4-5 pages

Eves are "born" pregnant, right? And it takes a bit of time for pregnancy to start to show... Willow has been upon the ES about a month, by my calculations, of course I guess it warries from specie to specie, but it should be just about the right amount of time for her to grow enough for the difference in image, then again, as I said, I might be wrong...

It is just something to think upon.
I myself neither support nor dissaprove the willow-eve matter. Time will tell.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I had noticed that, but I just kind of wrote it off as artistic change over time. It is, however, quite possible that The Lady has been slowly edging Willow's waistline a bit toward the "B.O.B."* side of things... now that would be interesting, since we'd mostly convinced ourselves that the Eve theory was wrong.

* B.O.B. = Baby On Board. It's an American (as far as I know) fad with window clings in minivans and so on.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
* B.O.B. = Baby On Board. It's an American (as far as I know) fad with window clings in minivans and so on.

Last year on Last Comic Standing, a British guy did a bit about those stickers. Not sure that means anything, though.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
thespaceinvader

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reasonably sure that Lady has categorically stated that characters being pregnant on Earthsong simply won't be addressed. I suspect it's simply the artwork evolving.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was another thing that got lost in the Great Forum Crash, but Lady's explicitly said that none of the characters are ever going to get pregnant on Earthsong.
sinesdex

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoilsports.
We could have wasted good twenty posts debating Very Happy
Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I remember the Lady being criticized for her characters' silhouettes being too similar; she wanted to make Willow "hippier." Smile
Wren

Location: In my head, wondering how so many manage to step outside theirs.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Lady say that characters getting pregnant will never be addressed, or characters being pregnant? If an Eve is born pregnant, you could say she never got pregnant. (And I have no context, so it might just have been a question about interspecial breeding.)

GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the same process that prevents aging while visiting Earthsong also suppresses their reproductive functions.

1) Interspecies breeding: not going to happen.
2) Characters arriving pregnant: would not give birth until they return to their home planet. Also, when asked about this, Lady said it's not going to happen, because she just doesn't want to introduce any pregnant characters.

As for Eves being born pregnant, there's been no suggestion that that's how Eves progenerate the species. And, given Lady's strong disinclination to introduce pregnancy into the story in any other way, I rather doubt that's how it works.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Plot, Character, and Current Page Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: