FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

TREASURE HUNTERS: OOC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's four rooms above the deck. One of those rooms is where Nawahqde will be staying. The third door has stairs that lead below the deck. From those stairs is a hallway that has many doors, and the closest four have living arrangements. The rooms below deck don't concern you since you'll be living above them; you'll have no problems with the stairs since you won't be using them. If you really need to get down there (like if you needed to get the canvases and such) you'll need to ask another character to help you. Fortunately, Nawahqde is a carpenter; I'm sure that he'll be able to make necessary accommodations to the ship in due time so that he can access the bowels of the ship.

The only room that is at the opposite end of the structure is Tristan's own cabin. There is also a room at the bow where navigation, meetings, etc. will be held. The rooms you'll be in are smack dab in the middle.

EDIT: NOTE: I'd also like everybody to reply at least once this time before we move on. Get to know your other characters! Smile
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
The rooms below deck don't concern you since you'll be living above them;

Ah! I didn't get the part where the rooms below deck are additional living quarters. Now it makes sense!

Maeniel wrote:
you'll have no problems with the stairs since you won't be using them.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Also, having served on ships before, I guess Nawahqde would have learned to get along with the way ships are built. I think this should be about the steepest type of stairs he should be able to traverse:

Anything beyond that angle would pose a serious problem. (Unless Ponce is gonna chime in to inform me that I'm seriously underestimating the stair-climbing capabilities of horses?)

Please click on my Eggs and Hatchlings.
Nem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine Lycoris could float you down anywhere large enough to accommodate your frame if there was a real need. Baring which you could just run a pulley craddle type thing overhead and lower yourself down in a sling.
- Issa
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nem wrote:
I'd imagine Lycoris could float you down anywhere large enough to accommodate your frame

I'm sure she could. But the same possibility wouldn't have been present on any other ship Nawahqde has served on before.

Also, he is not used to relying on the strange powers humans regularly exhibit.

And, depending on how his imminent discussion with Lycoris goes, there may be a serious trust issue between these two to overcome first.

horsin'around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anything beyond that angle would pose a serious problem. (Unless Ponce is gonna chime in to inform me that I'm seriously underestimating the stair-climbing capabilities of horses?)

Ponce chiming in: Wink Nope, JackAce is right. Although 'most' horses could do it, (small horses) a horse like a Friesan is waaay too big and clunky. Any stairs would be too narrow anyway. Have you ever ridden a Friesan? They're so wide that their gaits feel like you're gonna bounce off, no matter what kind of rider you are. >>

'Kay, I'm done now. Forgive me if this has already been said, but can't Lycoris just float Nawahqde up?

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
JackAce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horsin'around wrote:
Although 'most' horses could do it, (small horses) a horse like a Friesan is waaay too big and clunky. Any stairs would be too narrow anyway. Have you ever ridden a Friesan? They're so wide that their gaits feel like you're gonna bounce off, no matter what kind of rider you are.

As I wrote before, I'd prefer to down-play this whole problem and say he's learned how to get along...

No need to get over-realistic in a setting where shoes grow on trees. Wink

Ravenna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of argument and patience, why not just say that there is a walkway of somekind that allows people to go down there, be it stairs or slope. Although, from what I understand, all that is down there are some food supplies and other people's living quarters, and since Nawa is not the cook, he won't have any reason to be down there in the first place.

As regards Lycoris lifting him telekinetically, if she was asked politely/ordered to, then yes she would do it, trust issues or no.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the entire opening, while I was in Boston...argh >.<

I'll reply (introduce myself) tonight, and can even play it up a bit. C'mon, a musician (punk rock) star being fashionably late? Isn't that how it's supposed to happen? Right? Right. Yep...

My apologies again, I'll have a post or few up tonight.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Smile We'll delay taking off until you get onboard. And don't worry about Tristan's worrying about Max. Tristan just worries about random things.

Last edited by Maeniel on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little explanation about Nawahqde's behavior:

I've given some thought to Centaur culture, and I settled for a mixture of Native American and Viking influences.

He will be honest and straightforward, up to a point where it may seem terribly blunt or even offensive (as shown just yet in the conversation with Lycoris).

It is absolutely possible that other crew members will have similar run-ins with him in the near future. However, he really doesn't seek to offend anyone.

With Lycoris, he found a point of potential conflict; so he went to talk it over with her before it would turn into a serious problem. And her refusal to discuss the issue will only lead him to assume that she does indeed have something to hide. I expect this will lead to a couple of rather interesting roleplaying situation between these two in the future. Twisted Evil

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your take on Centaur culture is interesting...but it's also not your decision. While some Centaur tribes may certainly have those influences, that's not necessarily how it will work throughout Serge.
JackAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lacking any "official" information, I tried to design a background that would seem to make sense under the given conditions.

I figured that being half horses, Centaur society would probably resemble one of the great horse based nomadic cultures of earth. That would be either Native American or Mongolian.

Further, since in this world the south lands are the main cold region, local cultures down there would probably be similar to the Nordic cultures of Earth: Inuit, Viking or Siberian.

In retrospect, Siberian is probably a better background for the southern Centaurs, rather than Viking. That shouldn't make a difference as to Nawahqde's behavior, though.

Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got any questions regarding centaur history, culture, technology, etc. feel free to PM me. Smile I'll probably end up posting them soon anyways, as well as general human and naga views of the centaurs. Same for the other beings.
Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, almost anyone who listens to any sort of music has heard of the "infamous Max Maguire." He's well known for quickly mastering new instruments, almost as well known for that as he is known for leading a life of violent excess.. I mention this because he plans to introduce himself as Gregory Casey, his real name. Let the questions begin, and all that...

@Maen: Let me know if there's anything to be edited or fixed from my post, though I don't see much that really would violate the law of the land. I'm assuming since everything seems to grow on trees, that hand-made objects are exceedingly rare. Not necessarily out of any supply problem (if you can find a craftsman anymore, that is), but more that there's no demand.

In that regard, the Rachel would be as rare as a vessel could come, while any hand-carved object would share a piece of that. Such was my assumption, anyway.

I also replaced cigarettes with a pipe, both seeking to lower the ability of my post to offend others, and to perhaps keep it a bit more "period" than it would have been otherwise.

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well, and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done, and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Red Skelton
Maeniel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! You're good on all counts. Smile

I'd like everyone to check in before moving on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Serious RPG's All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: