FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Pet names
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Pet names Reply with quote

No, not the silly kind that your lover/spouse/whatever calls you. Razz Names for actual pets. This thread was inspired by:
horsin'around wrote:
Anyway, we got the Great Cat of Re when he was just a fluffy little ball, and Jose was visiting...you see where it went. The name stuck and Jon has great fun bellowing, "THE GREAT CAT OF RE!" and having him (the cat) come charging in from all over the house. He's actually a rather large cat. We never thought he'd live up to his presumptuous name.
That is one seriously awesome cat name.

So, if you have pets, what are they called and why, and if you don't then what would you want to call them if you did?

We used to have quite a lot of cats, all named after a prominent characteristic or habit.

Matty was the grumpy, tail-less (car accident, and the cause of the grumpiness) tortoiseshell matriarch. She was called Matty because she used to hog the doormat.

All the following cats were Matty's kittens. We have no clue as to the identities of the fathers.

Dusty had a doubly-appropriate name, being both grey and often going to sleep in the wastepaper bin.

Bruno was born brown, though he later turned black. "Blacko" just doesn't have the same ring to it, though. He was also big and stupid.

Ruffen was something of a play-fighter, hence his name - short for "rough and tumble."

Belinka was another black cat, her name being a bilingual portmanteau made out of "belle" and "ink."

Two was short for "Dusty Two" - she was almost the exact same colour as Dusty, but from a later litter. She didn't share her older sister's love of bins, though.

There were most likely others that we never knew about - with at least two litters you'd expect more than five kittens, and since we only know about Two through second-hand information it seems a fairly good bet that there were others that didn't stay in the family.

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
theBSDude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I foresee this becoming more about the pets themselves than their names.

Anyway, my family's two cats don't have any real logic behind their names (though their names were chosen in part by coolness), but our dog's name has an explination.

Nikki (short for Nicolette) - is the smaller cat (between a foot and 18 inches- that's 30.5 cm & 45.75 cm), but she's very confident and can be really mean. She loves boxes, loud noises, and fruit snacks, but she's terrified fo paper.

Phoeni (aka Phoenix) - is massive; almost two feet without his tail (61 cm) and a maximum reach of more than a yard (1 meter). He's easily frightened, though, and is famous for his enormous blue eyes.

Cooper, the dog, is a Havanese- a cirus dog. He walks on his hind legs and dances in circles for treats. Anyway, as soon as I heard what my mom planned to name him, I personally renamed him Koopa. Even my mom calls him that, now.

TheBSDude, dubbed 'BS' by Asa and nicknamed 'Thebes.'
Keeper of the Tristam, The Amazing Non-Emo Vampire!(tm) and a Massive List of Webcomics.

"I'm like a ninja with no hopes or dreams." --Wally of Dilbert
Tinu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've two cats.

Gizmmo: We didn't name him. He used to be fat, but now he's just a rather large flap that hangs down and jiggles when he walks. He's white underneath and has a dark tabby coloring on top - like he's wearing a cape actually. he's still pretty big. He likes socks and has the creepiest meow you've ever heard. We think he's part maine coon because he has these HUGE almond-shaped bright green eyes - except he's short haired, so it doesn't really fit. He's 14, and if you leave ANYTHING on the counter he will steal it the moment you turn your back

Samwise: I bottle fed him. :3 He's smallish for a four-year-old cat. He's a really pretty tabby - my brother calls him a Mackrel tabby because his stripes are really close together and very distinctive. He's VERY affectionate and sweet, but also extremely mischievous. We think he thinks he's human- because he keeps trying to pick things up with his paws. He even tries to open doors! He's gotten pretty good at opening cabinets with his nose. He's very smart, and I love him so. He's a glutton, and is rather chunky. We nicknamed him "Sir Licksalot" for obvious reasons.

. . .Yes I love my cats to death, what of it?
Virturealm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Tasha, a bluehealer/bordercollie mix was named when we got her from the humane society, but most people who inquired about her name asked if it came from Star Trek, which is apparently the only time the name Tasha has ever been used ever, so that might be it.

Midnight, a bluehealer/spanial mix who grew up to have an astounding resemblence to Tasha, despite no relation, got her name somewhat poorly. The parents were letting the young kids decide how to name the puppy, and I remember advocating Brownie, because she was black with some brown bits, like the treat, but the younger brothers apparently couldn't understand, and were totally confused by the idea of naming a black dog Brownie, and eventually in exassperation I said the first "black" word that popped into my head, and it stuck. As I'm older, Brownie wasn't a really great name either, but Midnight doesn't even sound like a name at all to the observer. She was often simply called "Puppy" instead well into adulthood.

Phantom is called Phantom because that's what he was called on the pet rescue site where my family found him. As it turns out, phantom is the name of an obscure flavor of poodle (obscure as in, I'm pretty sure that someone at some point, just made up the term, because he had a bunch of mixed breed poodles that he wanted to sell as if he had bred them like that intentionally). Anyway, they thought that was his name, and even when they found out, Phantom is just a cool name for a pet, so it stayed.
Allicat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two cats when I was younger and since we were very young when we got them (I was three and my brother was 5) I just let my brother pick the names. He called them Paddywack and Cozy. It was in a book he'd read and the cats looked like the cats in the book. Cozy was HUGE! He could lie on three people and have his head in one lap and his tail hanging off the lap of the other end! He was an awesome cat and really protective of his sister (my cat) Paddywack. She was quite shy and even moreso after he died on the road.

I also had fish, but since they were a shoal of neon tetra fish we just called them The Mob. Until they started eating each other. Eventually there was only one left and we called him Hannibal Smile

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I get a job I'm going to get a new cat and call it Schroedinger ^_^ (Cookies to all my theoretical physics buddies who get the reference!)

Keeper of the fallen leaves. 'Cos they're still pretty.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dreading Ponce discovering this thread. I can't imagine how long her response is going to be.

Ben, my first dog, was given his name just because it suited him, there was no real meaning behind it, though I did almost call him Tom.

Columbus, my cat, (who is actually a girl) used to explore a lot when she was a kitten, (ironically enough she won't leave the house [read: couch] now.)

Jet, my current dog, has black fur and can also run ridiculously fast.

And we used to have a kitten named Matilda, we called her Tilly.
Tyris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBSDude wrote:
I foresee this becoming more about the pets themselves than their names.
Having started the topic, and therefore being able to decide what the topic actually is (and thus whether or not something is off-topic), we declare this to be fine and dandy. Very Happy

theBSDude wrote:
She loves boxes, loud noises, and fruit snacks, but she's terrified fo paper.
How very weird.
What if you shake a big sheet of paper to make loud noises?

Tinu. wrote:
my brother calls him a Mackrel tabby because his stripes are really close together and very distinctive.
Mackerel is actually a valid tabby pattern.

Tinu. wrote:
. . .Yes I love my cats to death, what of it?
Very Happy

Virturealm wrote:
the younger brothers apparently couldn't understand, and were totally confused by the idea of naming a black dog Brownie
If Bruno were still alive, he'd probably try to shred their trousers. That'll show them.

That, or steal the robin off their Christmas cake and try to eat it. He did that once.
Well, we did say he was stupid. Very Happy

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
I'm dreading Ponce discovering this thread.
Speaking of Ponce, Krislyn would be a rather good name...

"It's a sad thing when a man loses his cookie." - Nem
Tamir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat wrote:
I forgot to mention that when I get a job I'm going to get a new cat and call it Schroedinger ^_^ (Cookies to all my theoretical physics buddies who get the reference!)

Woohoo! Cookies! Very Happy Just be sure the cat doesn't get into a state of superposition.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I was born, my parents got a kitten. He was cute and fluffy, naturally, but his dominant characteristic was his skittishness. Door slams? He flees and isn't seen for the rest of the day. So of course they named him Killer.

In the end, Killer had the last laugh -- he grew up to be a mighty hunter, bringing not merely mice and birds, but rabbits, snakes, and on a couple of occasions, squirrels. When I was a kid, he got in an accident with a VW Bug. Killer was okay, but the VW Bug needed several hundred dollars of repairs. The second time he tangled with a VW Bug a few years later, though, the Bug won.

We've had a couple of cats since then. Chester was named based on the character in "Bunnicula". Pilgrim got her name based on the time of year -- we got her close to Thanksgiving. She lasted a long time -- just shy of twenty years. We think a fox may have gotten her at last when she went out hunting. Which is mildly amazing to begin with; imagine a ninety year old woman stalking and killing a deer with nothing but her teeth and nails, and you'll have a good idea how we felt every time Pilgrim brought home a new conquest in her old age.
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATM I have only one pet, I paid for him, but since we all play with him, litter is on chore rotations and it's usually mom's job to feed him...

I named him Iroh, just...well, for the very awesomness of Iroh!
When I met him in our local pet shelter, he was rather small, just finished his kittenhood. He looked at me through the bars, like he was expecting me. But that's not how I first saw him, they had adorable pictures from the Animal shelter's website. The name they gave him was Scorpion, and I immediately knew that he was mine (For secret reasons all my own....well, you can have a cookie if you figure out the scorpion thing)
The first time I heald him, he was holding onto my shoulder so hard, the left all these little clawmarks on my back....little booger. So, we roughouse with him, and he roughouses with us....
Recently, I've taken to calling him Meow-meow... O.o

I'll talk about my lovely baby girls later.....You know I love you ladies!
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
horsin'around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyris, you are full of win and genius. What a brilliant thread!

HORSES

Note: a (p) after the name means pony.

Cody
Fancy
Zeus
Meadow Lark (p)
Faenor (EVIL!)
Sennia
Risha
Cat
Bingo (p)
Tom
Scarlett (p)
Rusty
Lyla
Chubby (p)
Midge (p)
Dartanian
Xander
Feffer
Juno
Luke
Peachblossom
Dragonfly (p)
Whisper
Silk (p)
Taz
Rosie (p)
Sunny
Safire (p)
Stupid *wince* (p)
Olliver (p)
Saana (p)
Black Thunder (p)
Independance (Indy)
Jingles (p)

CATS
The Great Cat of Re
Shadow
Koda
Seshat
Sekhmet
Celeste
Spooky
Creamy
Bremen
Isis

DOGS
Loki
Ramses
Nefret
Otter
Shoxy
Sandy
Fudgie
Bear
Sally
Jak

RABBITS
Wild: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six.
Domestic: Columbine, Cinnamon, Belle

OTHER
Pig: Archie
Snake: Smores
Peregrine Falcon: Elation
Mouse: Scrap
Gerbil: Col. Robert Hamilton
Goat: Basil

...and I think that's everyone.

HUMANS (full-time)
Jon
Shallan
Ponce
Alex
James
Ian
Will
Lily
Menolly
Jen
Ben

Oh hold on...

CHICKENS
Roger
Suzie
Lindsey
Millie
Auntie
Brownie
Chester
Boozey

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce

Last edited by horsin'around on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Ewok said ... EEE chi mama!

... XD
Tinu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allicat wrote:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I get a job I'm going to get a new cat and call it Schroedinger ^_^ (Cookies to all my theoretical physics buddies who get the reference!)

Brilliant. XD

Wait. . .You have a falcon Ponce!?!

We've had so many cats. . .and about three generations of chickens - we'd still have them if a dump cooper's hwk hadn't eaten them (I TOLD dad to cover the top of the pen!) (Then again, it was a HUGE hawk - we saw it several times), a singe,hyperactive dog, and about 5 hamsters -I should tell you their stories, they all died horrid deaths. . .>>;
Tamir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that you listed humans there, ponce. ^_^
horsin'around

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to list the humans. It's in my contract. Razz

Yes, I have a falcon, Nu. had a lovely battle over custody with the county. They thought - as do I - that the peregrine should be returned to the wild. Normally, I would wholeheartedly agree; wild animals must be wild. Heck, I haven't been to a zoo since I was seven, and I cried the entire time I was there.

Unfortunately, Elation has protracted a rare wing disease that can cause feather damage to her pins' and whatnot. If I release her in the mountains, she'll die, for sure. So she needs to stay with me, no matter how much a nuisance she is.

everyone has to wear leather gauntlets and guards when they go outside; she is prone to swooping in out of nowhere to land on you. She is also prone to leaving delightful presents, such as rabbit entrails, mice, and on one memorable occasion, an unlucky bat.

At least she doesn't go after my bunnies, who live inside.

If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ponce
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: