FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Oz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Oz Reply with quote

I'm just curious - how many of you, if any, are Oz fans? The Wizard of Oz was the very first book I ever read, and after that I read all fourteen of the original series and a good number of the later ones. Not all of them, obviously, since there are hundreds. But a good number. I've got the first 26 on my shelf right now, and recently re-read most of them.

So, any other Ozites out there?
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the film (though I hate Somewhere Over the Rainbow). I haven't read the books but I think I'd like to, and if it counts I am utterly obessed with Wicked.
CBB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen the movie (and I lurves "Somewhere Over the Rainbow").

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ¡bailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the movie, read all the books our local library had. It's just such a fun universe!

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I haven't read the book. It, like Alice in Wonderland, I have avoided like the plague for some odd, unexplainable reason since childhood. I might need to give it a shot though (Good luck getting me to read Lewis Carroll).
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much ditto Asa's comments. I seem to remember a raggedy-anne type doll that fell in love with the Scarecrow, or somethin along those lines in one of them?

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Scraps, the Patchwork Girl. Not one of my favorite characters; I think the only one I like less is H. M. Wogglebug, T.E., who never appeared to serve any particular purpose as a character beyond being weird.

If you're interested in reading any of them, all fourteen of the original series are no longer in copyright, and be had free of charge online. The Gutenberg Project has all of them. Archive.org has most of them, and I prefer the Archive.org versions because they preserve the illustrations. And they're in color. Here's a list:

1. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  2. The Marvelous Land of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  3. Ozma of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  4. Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  5. The Road to Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  6. The Emerald City of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  7. The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  8. Tik-Tok of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  9. The Scarecrow of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  10. Rinkitink in Oz (Gutenberg Project)
  11. The Lost Princess of Oz (Gutenberg Project, Archive.org)
  12. The Tin Woodman of Oz (Gutenberg Project)
  13. The Magic of Oz (Gutenberg Project)
  14. Glinda of Oz (Gutenberg Project)

I think it would probably be hard to come to the books as an adult. They really are aimed at an audience of children, strongly. The initial sequels often had very little plot per se. I think my favorites are Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (#4), Tik-Tok of Oz (#8), Rinkitink in Oz (#9) and Glinda of Oz (#14). The second one, The Land of Oz is somewhat surreal, involving as it does an army of discontented young women marching on the Emerald City armed with knitting needles, intent on overthrowing the Scarecrow (who briefly ruled Oz after the Wizard's departure via balloon). The protagonist in #2 is a boy (Tip, short for Tippetarius) who is almost the only strongly defined male protagonist in the entire series. The only other one is Inga, the Prince of Pingaree, from Rinkitink in Oz (#9). It's a pity that Archive.org doesn't have the later ones, as the illustrations add a lot to the text.

Basically all of the books have female protagonists. As I mentioned before, The Wizard of Oz was the very first book I ever read, before I hit kindergarten, and I've long believed that it was the single most important factor in determining my preference for stories starring female protagonists. Dorothy stamped that slippered foot of hers firmly in my subconscious, and ever since I've preferred stories about women and girls.

I enjoyed Wicked very much. It's just one in a long series of spin-offs and such, though. There've been hundreds of novels and movies set in Oz.
Tomato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed several of the Oz books, but Wicked was tripe. It was overly modernized in my opinion. Fantasy series don't generally "need modern updates" to remain appealing in my opinion.
unimportant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I tried to pick up the oz books at the wrong time in my life, because for some reason I just couldn't focus on them at all.

My most recent exposure to anything related to it was Sci-Fi's mini-series Tin Man though, which while not great or in any way remotely like the books, was still a lot of fun.
TheBritishInvasion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomato wrote:
I enjoyed several of the Oz books, but Wicked was tripe. It was overly modernized in my opinion. Fantasy series don't generally "need modern updates" to remain appealing in my opinion.

Do you mean the book or the musical? I thought the musical had a weak plot but overall was excellent, the book however I have more issues with. One thing I cannot abide is inconsitencies and I noticed inconsitencies with Wicked and the original Wizard of Oz (though none come to mind right now).
I thought it was far too adult when the rest of the Oz series was aimed at children, I know it was written by another author but it was so adult when the Wizard of Oz is so much more innocent.
That and it was really slow! It just took too long for anything to happen!
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Scraps. Ty for that, my memory for character names is somewhat spotty sometimes. I seem to recall some of those other titles, but its been a long, long time since I read any of them. Out of idle curiosity I may just see if the local library still carries them.

I have to be honest though, even if it does I doubt I'll read them. While admittedly still a child at heart (many would also argue in spirit and mentality Wink ), I find it difficult to read below a certain level and still enjoy a good story. To be honest, I dont know wheter thats a good thing or not. Theres a lot to be said for innocence based plot.

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBritishInvasion wrote:
Tomato wrote:

Do you mean the book or the musical? I thought the musical had a weak plot but overall was excellent, the book however I have more issues with. One thing I cannot abide is inconsitencies and I noticed inconsitencies with Wicked and the original Wizard of Oz (though none come to mind right now).
I thought it was far too adult when the rest of the Oz series was aimed at children, I know it was written by another author but it was so adult when the Wizard of Oz is so much more innocent.
That and it was really slow! It just took too long for anything to happen!

I mean just about everything you said, and probably more. I'm not sure which came first, honestly. The play, or the book. I think it was the play. Either way though, I didn't appreciate either one.

When I said "modernized", I mean that they tried to impregnate it's world with suddenly a "modern appreciation" of alot of things. Suddenly, Oz is so metropolitan in it's various accepted political and social views. It's like the entire world suddenly became a parallel to modern Portland OR. The book included social themes of racism, sexism, antiestablishmentism, prejudice against sexualities, and then thoroughly and rather bluntly explored all of those things. There was never nuance or verve. It was basically a modern soap opera song written to an old fashioned Wizard of Oz tune. It was not entertaining to me in the least. I don't mind modern themes in books, but the pretense of anything remotely resembling the original Wizard of Oz was completely lost.

Plus, it was *very* slow.
Tinalles
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book came first (1995) with the musical later (2003).

If you were looking for a faithful rendition of Oz lore, then Wicked is definitely the wrong book for you. As the author said in an NPR interview from 2003, "Wicked" began as an exploration into the origins of evil. When he was living in London in 1993, there was a particularly gruesome murder in which two boys (ages 11 and 9) kidnapped another boy (age 2) and killed him. Everyone was naturally asking, "How could two children do something so horrible?" And he started wondering about the origins of evil; Wicked came out of that.

It's a little unfair to criticize him for not imitating the original more closely. He never had any intention of imitating the original work - the Oz milieu provided him a convenient setting with a ready-made evil character to study.

Maybe that's not your cup of tea; fine. You may wish to avoid his later novels, such as "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" and so on, since he takes basically the same approach in his later work (find a fairy tale and re-tell it from a different slant).
Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I liked the movie well enough, although I got a headache when I watched it through with the pink floyd album...

Has anyone else even done that? It had maybe one or two amusing coincidences, but I didn't see anything other than that. Although, maybe you have to use the old record version? We were using an iTunes alum, so maybe the timing is different between songs or whateverrr...
Asa

Location: Grammar Police HQ. Watch your language, I'm armed with the NYTimes Style Book AND Strunk and White!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second book he wrote was called "The Adventures of the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman" or something like that, and it was the only one that didn't have the word Oz in the title. But it was the second, and it appears to be missing from your list.

Am I right or wrong?

Keeper of the Library and the Gateway to Haven

Nem: "It's the sort of face you just know is getting ready to poke you with something sharp."
BS: "...then insist you eat a brownie."
And Robin shall restore amends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: