FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Summer Movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Maeniel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I avoid romance like the plague. I hate reading them. But they suck me in so well... D: I wish I had known what Twilight really was before I started reading it. XD
unimportant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw Hancock, what a confused movie. Not confusing nessicarily, but it's like it had no idea what story it wanted to tell or even what type of movie it wanted to be. And the filmwork made me dizzy.
CBB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I just wrote a big huge review about Dark Knight, and then accidentally reloaded the page and lost it all. So, in ten words:
Batman/Joker mental battle awesome. Harvey/Rachel weak as heck.

Rolling Eyes

Psychosomatic! That boy needs therapy...
Ya que estamos en el baile, ¡bailemos!

Keeper of Earthsong's Wispy Wooshy Memory Ball
Keeper of the Dragon Planet
Lithrath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't add to the Dark Knight or Twilight discussion but I have this to say for Mamma Mia!:

If you liked the musical, then you will love the movie. If you despised the musical, then you will despise the movie.

Not surprising since the "musical book"/ stage production author is the same as the screenwriter. This concept also applies to your love/hate relationship with ABBA.

In fact, the movie almost follows the stage script to a T except that they removed one song to replace it with a bit of dialogue (yes, Mane, they actually took out some of the music said song was used during the credits instead). I do concur with Mane that there are moments scattered throughout the film where the song-dialogue seems a bit strained, as though it could have used a gentler lead-in, but this unfortunate mishap is characteristic of the stage production as well.

That said, I enjoyed Mamma Mia! the movie immensely since I quite enjoy the stage production. The movie actually wins by a little bit since I preferred the casting; Pierce Brosnan made a far better Sam than the actors at the two different productions that I've seen, both in demeanor and voice. Meryl Streep makes a nice Donna but Julie Walters and Christine Baranski just cement the fun dynamic of the movie.

Overall a well-cast movie which will certainly appease existing fans and perhaps make a few more.

^__^

Next up on Lithy's chopping block: The X-Files: I Want to Believe.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee just saw the Dark Knight today, and echoes most of the Lady sentiments. A really great batman movie, probably the best one made so far(well, besides the original campy 60's movie, which is just CLASSIC). They definitely nailed the Joker, and Harvey was very well done as well. Squee does think they should have had Joker do a third retelling of his scar story though, just to seal the joke solidly. Squee was highly disappointed when Batman cut off his last one Sad
Lithrath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On The X-Files: I Want to Believe:

The movie itself is okay, but was definitely written for fans (there are parts that make more sense if you have Scully and Mulder's backstory). At the same time it doesn't fulfill all the hopes an x-phile would have...for one, there's no aliens.

It's entertaining, has a good plot and enough creepy to be in the right genre, but at the same time I felt as though I was watching an extended episode written by the Without a Trace team.

Unless you really want to see this in theatre, I'd suggest waiting to rent it instead.

unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to X-files, but your review is just confirming my trepidation about it!

I finally saw Dark Knight last night, and I don't know what else to add. I loved it, and my only two complaints were that is was a) a bit too long and b) just a little too dark. It wasn't hopeless though, which impressed me. It managed to be a dark, creepy movie, but I didn't come out of it feeling depressed. I didn't know if they could do it again, but they certainly did. Batman is being done right this time around.

And now...hello, anyone see a preview for the Watchmen? If it's been mentioned already I'm sorry to be still surprised, but what a story to make into a movie! Cool, though!
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Watchmen. Umm.. AWESOME? Yeah, I think that's the right word. Smile

Re: Dark Knight. Loved it! Smile I think I expected something a bit different... Definitely dark, definitely made me cringe in places (esp when the Joker had knives to people's faces). I think people made the Joker out to be darker and more emo than he really was, so this Heath Ledger definitely seemed a LOT more cheery than I expected. He did a great job, though. Smile
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeniel wrote:
My thoughts on Twilight are eerily close to Shinga's, author of Head Trip.

That said, it's also one of my guiltiest pleasures. I'm a sucker for romance.

XD Oh. My. Gosh. That's hilarious! I love Twilight, though the conversations my friends and I have on it go something like this:
"You know, Stephanie Meyer isn't really that great of an author."
"Yep."
"And the characters have no redeeming qualities."
"Yep"
"And the only reason we ever get for Bella being madly in love with Edward is that he's hot."
"Yep"
"And there are so many plot holes!"
"Yep"
"So why do we love it!?!?!?!"
"I've no clue."
"ARG!"

One hopless romantic, exiting the conversation. =3
unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, someone else has seen a Watchmen preview!

You know what movie doesn't look so great, in my opinion? The Spirit. Honestly, it just looks dumb.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it, but I've no idea what it's about. >>;

And The Spirit does look pretty stupid, but I guess it really depends if you used to read the comic or not.

While they're at superhero movies, I think someone should do the Green Lantern.
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Martian Manhunter!
Or Wonder Woman!
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Maeniel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was partial to SHAZAM! when I was younger. But a movie about the Young Avengers would also be awesome in my book. Smile

And has anybody seen Journey to the Center of the Earth? I really want to see it!
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Mama Mia! Haha, I love it! I've been obsessed with Abba since I was 11 and first heard them on an old 8-track player at my great-aunt's house. I've graduated to CD's now, and was able to sing along with all the songs. Afterwards a friend who had seen it with us said "That was amazing! How did you know all the words?" Apparently she'd never heard of Abba before. . .
Hehe. Anyways, i thought it was cute and corny - as most musicals tend to be, though generally more corny than cute. :3
I want the soundtrack. I just have the greatest hits cd, and some of the songs I've never heard, but I loved them all. And I was waiting the entire movie for them to sing "Take a Chance on Me". It took them darned long enough! XD
Ravenna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Watchmen graphic novel after I saw V for Vendetta (I read it along side V for Vendetta), and the book itself was amazing, though it deals with a lot of adult themes and the books is intended for 18 and upwards.

I just wanted to echo Mane's sentiments concerning the current run of Young Avengers, and also if I can get it, Runaways. X3
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: