FAQ Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in
Profile Log in to check your private messages Search

Anime/Manga thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Nem

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haibane Renmei is quite good. One of the few things that doesn't have any real fighting in that I've watched in a while now. First saw it a bit more than two years ago. It has high production values, the art is well

(Jpeging the result of imageshack's odd thumbnail maker)

Anyway I think it's beautiful for the style they were trying to make. The music is somehow fitting for it and the characters actually have some depth to them rather than being these carboard cut out things you get so often these days, although some seem dealt with a bit lightly.
The storyline's start and finish points aren't that far apart from each other and concern the development of the characters more than any world changing events which is an interesting change of pace. It's a tale about growing up as much as anything else.

One of those things you wonder how they sold to a sponsor but are glad they did.
- Issa
Tinu.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I read all the available chapters of Claymore online. Gosh I love that manga - even if it is really bloody, I find the concept an interesting one. Today I'm doing practically the same thing with Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, which I've been a long time fan of. I've heard a lot of people dismiss it because of the repetitive plot, but once you get a ways into it, it starts changing and throws several interesting twists.
Shiru04

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been catching up with the Bokurano manga, which is an interesting read. It's a mecha series but instead of focusing on politics or LOTS OF SCREAMS AND EXPLOOOOSIONS, it instead focuses on the troubled cast and how they each come to terms with their rapidly approaching deaths.

Bokurano's definitely not a happy read. Mohiro Kitoh (the creator) is pretty infamous for his depressing and sinister stories. If you've seen Shadow Star Narutaru, you should know what to expect with Bokurano.
unimportant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly, it rises out from the void, In search...of human blood...

<.<

>.>

Well, I just thought this thread needed a nice re-introduction.

And now, I have a question. Has anyone here seen Whisper of the Heart? It's Studio Ghibli, but definitly not a Miyazaki movie. I have a friend who'd a big nut for Ghibli movies as well, and we sort of trade off as we get our hands on new ones or ones we haven't seen yet. He recently leant me Whisper of the Heart, and while story wise or art wise I wouldn't call it the best by any means, emotionally it struck a huge chord with me. I enjoyed immensely. Any other thoughts out ther?
Ravenna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Whisper of the Heart was a Kondo movie, rather than a Miyazaki one, but I loved it. It's based on a shoujo manga from the late 80s or early 90s, and it is absolutely adorable, although I think when I watch it in future it'll be terribly nostalgic for me. I've noticed that "Country Road" is a song that gets played here a lot in shops because of this film.

Re Shiru04: Kitoh's works are always look like they have cute artwork, it's very deceptive. I read the very first volume of Naru Taru and saw some of the TV series, and it is REALLY heavy going.

As for new things... Do we have any fans of Nana about? I burned through to chapter 74 of the manga a while ago (up to 76 now), and I while it is well-written, Yazawa takes delight in crushing the reader's soul. D: I definitely prefer it to Paradise Kiss.
Squeeself

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squee <3 Whisper of the Heart. One of Studio Ghibli's better ones, and that's saying a lot Smile

Also, The Cat Returns, which is inspired by Whisper of the Heart, is a fun little movie, although completely different style.
spawnofjaws

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Miyazaki did the animation, and it has all of the miyazaki...well, those things that he always had in his movies....but I'm not so sure he wrote it...
maybe he did...
ıut yeah that was cool....I didn't really like the Cat Returns....
Maybe because my brothers *ALWAYS* want to watch it....
Keeper of Oliblish and Teh Poodle Stick....
[/url]
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Cat Returns, but i want to see Whispers of the heart too. . .and Grave of the Fireflies. . .
Lithrath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a warning: Grave of the Fireflies will probably make you cry. I first watched it in my grade 10 history class and half my class was in tears and the other half approaching tears at some parts of the movie.

It's a very beautiful movie though, in both art and story.

unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I'm so glad people have seen Whisper of the Heart! I know it's not a Miyazaki directed movie, but I do think he did the storyboards. At least that's what I remember from the credits.

Ha, they really play Country Roads because of that movie Rav? That's so cool, I love the song because of the movie, even if it is in my least favorite musical genre. And Rav, do you know if the manga for the movie comes in English? Because I'd love to check it out sometime!

I haven't seen The Cat Returns. I noticed the character looked a lot like the Baron though, so i did wonder! Right now I'm waiting to see Totoro, which my friends all know but I don't yet. Anyone seen it, and think it's good? I've heard it's definitely a little kids movie.
Ravenna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augh, seems like I'm the only Nana fan then!

Re Fable - it's not an exxaggeration; I've been seeing it on TV ads and you can hear it being played in shops. A Japanese friend confirmed it for me last week when we heard a remixed version being played in a curiousity shop.

At the live I performed at, the DJ even played the jazzy number from Kiki's Delivery Service (Japanese language version*) while one band was setting up. (although apparently it was very funny when me and the girl on vocals for that band both started to bounce along to the song) Anything associated with Ghibli becomes really popular.

I don't know if the manga has been translated yet - you could probably find it online somewhere in a scanlation format, but I've not heard about it being translated to English.

As for "The Cat Returns", I did enjoy it but it is a completely different film from "Whispers of the Heart", so don't go into it expecting a sequel. The appearance of the Baron is about all they have in common. That having been said, it is a very good film if you want a laugh. It's just really silly and over the top. Although I have to confess, one of my favourites is Porco Rosso.

* I'm not being patronising when I'm pointing out it was the music from the Japanese version. It's just because Disney used Sydney Forrester doing country-ish numbers for the English Language version, and Joe Hisaishi had a 50s style dancey number for the original Japanese version. I'm never sure whether people have seen dubs or subs.

EDIT: Grave of the Fireflies WILL break you heart a little bit inside. While I haven't watched it, we discussed the book and the author in Modern Literature class, and we got told a bit about the author and how it was based in on his life partially. It was intensely, intensely sad - I won't go into details, because I don't want to spoil anyone at the moment. But if you are curious, you can PM me.
Tinu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenna wrote:
Augh, seems like I'm the only Nana fan then!

Ah, must not have seen that. I haven't read much of it - only through volume 4 or so, but I love it as well. It has a tendency to make me cry though - but that could just be because I'm a water faucet.
unimportant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rav! I've only seen dubs for Ghibli movies, just because Disney tends to do them pretty well, and they're whats for sale, and most importantly not having to read little words at the bottoms lets me just look at everything!

I'm curious, though, what's Nana?
Grimwatch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ditto that question, Im a little out of date as per the whole anime scene atm.

Finally watched Elfen Lied. Disturbing, yet enjoyable all at the same time. Either that or I have strange tastes *shrug*. Not for little kids though, graphic violence (rivalling Star Wars for limb amputation count). Also, cut much, much shorter than the manga, which is always irritating.

Currently watching: Gundam Seed

Coach of the Maulers 'n' Brawlers Blood Bowl team - winner of the "Most casualties inflicted on opponents" award for T.A.G 2008, mwahaha...
Nem

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching 'Now and Then, Here and There.' It's a little dark in places, especially since I thought I'd be getting your standard alternate world with stompy mecha plotline in the first episode. Tricksy wabit.
- Issa
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: